Someone help me decide between these 3 headphones!
Aug 28, 2011 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

agate

New Head-Fier
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD595-Performance-Premiere-Headphones/dp/B0001FTVE0/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1314571348&sr=1-10

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-ANC7B-Noise-Cancelling-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B002HWJT1A/ref=pd_sim_e_1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042A8CW2/sr=8-2/qid=1314571032/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1314571032&sr=8-2&seller=

Which has the best quality? I'm not too concerned about bass.

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to being an audiophile, so if you could put it into a 1. 2. 3. (1 being best, 3 being worst) format, it'd really help :)

I listen to mostly rap, hip hop, alternative, and some rock. My budget is $250, so if you know of any headphones that are better than the ones listed (and within the price range), tell me!

Aug 28, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 7
Sennheiser HD595 is better because if you buy portable AMPs like FiiO E11+L3(dock cable for iPods) with it then this combo will well exceed the HD598 and many others in that price range. BTW HD595 with Fiio E11 canbe use with PC and the result willbe amazing(ANC7 is less detailed than HD595).

Aug 28, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by agate /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not too concerned about bass.

[...]

I listen to mostly rap, hip hop, alternative, and some rock.

That's not logical ; if you like hip hop or rap , you are concerned by the  bass.

Aug 28, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 7
I love hip hop and rap and I'm not concerned about the bass either.

You need good mids and highs you miss out on the vocals and details. Hip hop is not just about the bass beat. It's nice to have some impact and extension but that goes for most music for me.

Aug 28, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
That's not logical ; if you like hip hop or rap , you are concerned by the  bass.

X2 most of the beats in hip-hop is below 1Khz, at least in what I listen to. Might want to do research on some Ultrasone HFI 580 or V-moda Crossfade or Audio Technica PRO700 MKII. Haven't heard any of them but these have been said to be bassy. 

Aug 28, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #6 of 7
Ok , I  would take the srh940 over the hd595, I  got them at 250$ using a coupon at earphonesolution, but I  don't know if still one is available.
It is supposed to be "bass shy", but it's not the hd595 joke. Just listened to 50 cent "in da club" with them, and didn't find the bass lacking.
I  would recommend the hd595 only for relaxing music (especially ambient).

EDIT: skip any noise cancelling headphone, unless you absolutely need that feature.
I  wouldn't take the hd598, after knowing the hd595, despite everyone saying it's a better version.

Aug 28, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #7 of 7
You are trying to pick between an open headphone and a noise-canceling headphone - two total opposites haha. I haven't heard the Sennheiser HD595 so I can't comment there. 

Here's the deal: open headphones are good for home, since if you use them in a portable setting, you will not hear the music. You will hear all outside noise which will be a travesty since open headphones in general sound better than closed phones. And active noise canceling is only really good for when you are listening to music on trains/buses/planes since the anc function cancels out low engine drones. Also, noise canceling is an expensive feature - which basically means most of what you'll be paying for is mostly for the function and mediocre SQ. 

Here are my suggestions:

Sennheiser HD25-1-ii

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Skullcandy Roc Nation Aviator (Great mids, highs, as well as bass but they're really known for their mids. Although event though they are closed, they might as well be open since there is hardly any noise isolation.)

I've also heard great things about Ultrasone HFI-580. Also check out the new Beyerdynamic DT1350's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back