Somebody want to back me up?
Aug 26, 2006 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Headphoneus Supremus
So yeah, I am also kind of a computer geek, and I am a member of several computer forums as well.

Well in one particular forum there is a section for computer audio, which I frequent. A topic comes up about great sound, of course I replied. Eventually it turned into a heated debate on weather you can tell a difference between an Audigy2 and higher end sound cards (such as mine). Well, in fact you can quite easily, so of course I stood my ground that you can, because well, you can. Heck I could hear a big difference between my juli@ and an x-fi.

Well one gu starts saying there is no possible way to tell, and that I am uninformed and I think I'm god because I spent a lot of money on audio.

Basicly there is a big debate now, here is a link to the thread:
http://www.tech-forums.net/showthrea...hreadid=119657

If anybody would like to back me up, feel free.

Aug 26, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 26
Heh. You picked a pointless battle to fight. These guys aren't going to change their opinions and they don't care about or can't hear the differences sources make. Plus, there was no need to rain on the OP's parade just because he enjoys the X-fi. Instead, you could have more politely pointed out there are even better sounding options than the X-fi that he might be interested in for the future, as his audiophile tendencies develop - followed by a link to these forums. Let's face it, there was an abrasive tone in your first post - and continued in subsequent posts.

Aug 26, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
you could have more politely pointed out there are even better sounding options than the X-fi that he might be interested in for the future, as his audiophile tendencies develop.

Well, thats what I thought I did
confused.gif
And I even pointed out the X-fi is a really good candidate for an external DAC.

Edit:
I didn't mean to come off as abrasive, either.

Aug 26, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #5 of 26
have you abx'ed the two cards. You should also show them some rmaa graphs to see if there maybe an audible difference.

Aug 26, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob
You did come over as a bit condescending originally, but the guy is obviously a stupid prick and not worth your time.

I don't think that guy is a prick or stupid the only reason he took that tone is because 003 talked down to other members in the thread.

I am just wondering how 003 figured out which card was better and their rank from wrost to best when he hasn't abx'ed them. Did you own them all at the same time?

Aug 26, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #9 of 26
His opinions on 2ZS vs Juli@ would be his own. I'm not sure at this time exactly how he might be proved wrong (assuming he is).

On the other hand I'm not sure where he's getting his AAC > MP3 deal from. If he can truly ABX between MP3 and FLAC, well, good for him, but the difference between MP3 and FLAC is minor enough that I don't see how AAC can be significantly better.

Aug 26, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #10 of 26
I just read that thread. It brought out the worst in everybody. On the other hand, some folks are evidently following it and learning from it, so that's ok. I think both 003 and the Erik guy got into a pissing contest. For each of the two parties, some posts were reasonable and others were insulting. Both parties had their fair-minded moments and their unfortunate "I'm better than you" moments. I don't think either one deserves more blame than they other. It takes 2 to tango, and it takes 2 to tango-badly.

I think it's always best to tell folks that you're happy if they like what they're listening to. Telling people that they are somehow wrong or stupid for liking what they like is a no-win proposition. Plus, it raises legitimate questions about "exactly who the hell do you think you are?" Which in turn raises legitimate questions about how much of what you said do you really know first hand vs. have absorbed from reading stuff? Next thing you know, you're sliding down the slippery slope of evidence-swapping.

All in all, better to be a nice guy instead of a snotty jerk. (I should practice what I preach :wink:

Aug 26, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman
Did you own them all at the same time?

Yes and no. I owned all of them at the same time, except for the AV710, which came later (and then went), but I'm sure everybody can agree on my placement of it, and from memory, that is where I would have put it had I owned all four at the same time.

Again I did not mean to come off as rude, at the time I didnt think I was, also I really dont think I "put down" anybody, that is a little harsh, but put nicer, I had a "serious tone".

Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
On the other hand I'm not sure where he's getting his AAC > MP3 deal from. If he can truly ABX between MP3 and FLAC, well, good for him, but the difference between MP3 and FLAC is minor enough that I don't see how AAC can be significantly better.

Are you refering to me or the eric guy? I never said anything about ABX'ing between formats, I said I would gladly DBT the sound cards, which I know I can do.

Aug 27, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
Are you refering to me or the eric guy? I never said anything about ABX'ing between formats, I said I would gladly DBT the sound cards, which I know I can do.

I was referring to the eric guy. It seems strange that he should be such a hardliner in terms of the 2ZS and Juli@ being undistinguishable, but then make such a comment about codecs which are definitely known to be very difficult to distinguish from each other.

Hmm...

A 2ZS has a digital in, right? You could do a loopback, send a file out and then record what comes back in. That would produce a file that had gone through the 2ZS's resampling. If you can foobar ABX that it would be sufficient proof that 2ZS is distinguishable from Juli@. But I'm not sure if you would necessarily be able to pull that off since IIRC no one was able to do it a while ago when such files were posted here.

Aug 27, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #13 of 26
LMAO! Somebody from head-fi must have registered there and posted backing me up.

The eric dude just quoted it and said it's me under an alias!

Aug 27, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #14 of 26
003 You should really try and abx because I highly doubt that even with your nice stuff that even you could tell a difference. Foobar resampler with audigy 2 is nice work around but not bit perfect.

You and Eric are arguing 1's and 0's, placebo, and diminishing returns. The flame only started because of your tone and blossomed into a full fledge flame because you broadcasted an elitist audiophile aura in further comments. But you clearly didn't mean it so meh. It's the internet what are ya going to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back