Some OVERRATED High End Gear.
Sep 3, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #62 of 330

Quote:
Mundorf resistors and capacitors are made in Germany.

Many sought after NOS tubes were NOT made in China, Taiwan or Russia.

I think you missed the reference:

Sep 3, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #66 of 330
I thought "overrated" referred to products that people raved about but aren't as good as people have been saying they are. Not components which are over-priced.

Quote:

Yes! Nothing wrong with it, but not the second-coming. I think the trend towards a more "hi-fi" sound has made it favourable.

Quote:
Every Ultrasone I've heard sounded like Hulk Hogan was having a temper tantrum inside my brain. 

The Edition series deserves a mention here.  Overrated AND overpriced.

Sep 3, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #68 of 330

Quote:
The Edition series deserves a mention here.  Overrated AND overpriced.

Agreed.  Though I am reserving judgment for the ED8 because I haven't heard them and some folks I rather like think they sound great.  On the other hand, seeing Tyll's face and his measurements was all I needed to know about the ED10.  Not that I could or would afford it anyways...

Sep 3, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #69 of 330

Quote:
Every Ultrasone I've heard sounded like Hulk Hogan was having a temper tantrum inside my brain. 

looolllllllll...oh dear, poor hulk hogan...fake hips and broken joints make it really hard to rage, especially when his wife too his hulk mobile monster truck in the divorce too...

anywho, my pick would be the RS1/RS2 

Sep 3, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #70 of 330

Quote:
LCD2 Nice headphone but not the second coming of christ as its' thread might have you believe.

You're right. Because the HE-6 are the first* coming of Christ... lol

Sep 4, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #71 of 330
Quote:

In this thread much has been made about companies using lower priced components, equipment and so forth and it automatically resulting in the said product being over-rated. I think this is a potentially flawed way to look at things, if the product was already priced to reflect the use of less expensive components in the first place. I think a bigger issue is this notion that expensive parts have to always be used to provide the best sound quality. I think an ideal is finding the best balance of price/performance, and perhaps a number of the Chinese manufacturers are doing that. I've heard/read many many good things about Little Dot and Darkvoice products, from people who own other often far more expensive similar equipment. That, if anything, shows you they are not necessarily overrated. 

Ultimately, if you can provide a similar sound quality, solid durability, build and power, for a more affordable price, you should be commended not criticised. Honestly, it's not always about the expense of the internal components, materials and so forth. Sometimes it's honestly just a good idea to simply trust your ears.

I mean, beside me I have a modded T50RP that in many ways out perform other much higher priced headphones, I have a cheap JDS cMoy that again, in certain ways, outperforms other much higher priced portables, then I have a higher priced hybrid tube portable amp that someone in this thread has falsely implied is a tube buffer on a $30 T amp, that out performs (power wise) and sounds better than every other portable amp I've used or tested. So as you can see, it's honestly a better idea to sometimes pay less heed to the logistics of it all and just go with what you hear.

Sound quality ain't everything:

Also, you really should have chokes in the power supply.

But if you buy reliable, good-quality ones (as well as caps and resistors), the raw materials will cost more than the price of cheap amps.  Not including casework, labor, etc. or even providing for profit.

Quote:
....I have a higher priced hybrid tube portable amp that someone in this thread has falsely implied is a tube buffer on a $30 T amp....

Cute.  Please point out where I specifically referenced your amplifier.  Did it cross your mind that I was referring to someone else?  Perhaps more than one manufacturer?  Because I was.  More than one are repackaging T-amps with frills and selling them for obscene prices.  As for your amp, you have precisely what you deserve.

Sep 4, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #72 of 330

Quote:
LCD2 Nice headphone but not the second coming of christ as its' thread might have you believe.

Amen. They are nice headphones for the cost, but they don't warrant the jumbo gushing thread, specifically the 200+ pages of going back and forth on which driver tweak is better.

Quote:
i think the HD650 holds up very well to, and is even better in some respects than, the HD800 and the HD650 costs a 1/4 of the price, so is the HD800 overrated. for any source, amp, headphone that you like you are going to find something semi-comparable that costs much less, so does that make all of the former overrated. also, for sources, amps, headphones where one dislikes the sound, that equipment would automatically, it seems, fall into the category of overrated. would it not. overrated is very subjective and personal.  

I agree, the HD800 is a nice headphone, but I don't think it's not worth the cash required or that it's as good as everyone says it is; there is something I hear in the 5-6khz range that picks at my brain in unpleasant ways. Second, it still has the house Senn sound with a touch of grit in the upper registers. At a meet I picked the Denon 7k over the HD800....

ymmv
wink.gif

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #73 of 330
Being Chinese myself, I don't trust almost anything Chinese unless I know someone has tried them. China is a big country with a bit more than 1 billion citizens it can get very messy. I remember hearing about meat buns with meat that is made of newspaper and meat flavour juices of some kind, but theres always Chinese things that are really good, like those special tea not sold over seas. 
atsmile.gif

Oh and speaking of overrate high end stuff, why hasn't any one mentioned the beats studio ? For something that is being advertised as a studio can, they certainly have a high end price tag. 

Actually, forget it, don't want to derail this thread with the whole beats thing 

Sep 4, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #74 of 330

Quote:
Sound quality ain't everything:

Also, you really should have chokes in the power supply.

But if you buy reliable, good-quality ones (as well as caps and resistors), the raw materials will cost more than the price of cheap amps.  Not including casework, labor, etc. or even providing for profit.

Cute.  Please point out where I specifically referenced your amplifier.  Did it cross your mind that I was referring to someone else?  Perhaps more than one manufacturer?  Because I was.  More than one are repackaging T-amps with frills and selling them for obscene prices.  As for your amp, you have precisely what you deserve.

Obviously sound quality isn't everything, which is why I mentioned build quality as well. My point was merely that you don't have to have the best of the best for it to sound great and have good reliability. Sometimes less expensive equipment or products often offer comparable results, with obvious shortcomings however (have to make up for the price difference somehow). What products are those images from? If they're from Little Dot or DarkVoice products then sure, I'll bite. But even higher priced amps are privy to problems, just the nature of technology.

Also, I assumed you were referring to the Continental as you mentioned a similar thing in the thread itself with respect to the device. So it was an informed (but apparently incorrect) assumption. Based however on much of your misinformed and other times flat out wrong technical knowledge in that thread alone, forgive me for being a little bit cautious before taking your immediate advice on such matters. I will however look in to the link you've provided above. I appreciate you still might have much to offer and also appreciate the link provided.

Sep 4, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #75 of 330

Quote:
<snip>
Also, I assumed you were referring to the Continental as you mentioned a similar thing in the thread itself with respect to the device. So it was an informed (but apparently incorrect) assumption. Based however on much of your misinformed and other times flat out wrong technical knowledge in that thread alone, forgive me for being a little bit cautious before taking your immediate advice on such matters. I will however look in to the link you've provided above. I appreciate you still might have much to offer and also appreciate the link provided.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back