Some New Sennheiser Phones: The Ninety-Five Line
Oct 13, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #31 of 64
Thanks for the update! The PX95 and PMX95, like the PCX95, also look to be winners. Even though they seem to get little attention compared to their higher end products, Sennheiser has done some good things lately in the portable space. Listening to the excellent MX375 as I type this.

It's too bad that the MX375 isn't available here in the US even though it's sold in Canada, eh.
3314f109_rage.gif
Much better than the MX365, which is just a re-tuned MX360 with a fancy paint job, which in turn is a re-tuned [or rather, de-tuned] MX400/500 in a different housing. Sorry for the rant! :p

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #32 of 64
Well, here goes a double post exactly one month later. :xf_eek:

I've stated earlier in the thread that I wanted something like the old PX100, but less dark and dull-sounding. After listening to newer Sennheisers like the HD598, the veil of the original generation PX100 became all the more apparent.

So I decided to give the PX95 a shot. I have to say that the sound was exactly what I was looking for and the review here is spot on. The PX95 retains a certain degree of warmth and richness that make the PX100 appealing, but these have much less bass and have a brighter midrange, bringing the frequency response closer to neutral. The soundstage is actually pretty surprising for an on-ear headphone; the PX95's presentation at times reminds me of the bigger HD598. Great stuff! I just hope this model doesn't get overshadowed by the PX100(-II) since these are deserving of attention.

Many thanks jant71 for the suggestion!

Nov 17, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #33 of 64
Yep, a nice step towards a less compressed sound. The PX200-II was more appealing to me originally due to the more spacious sound and better mids which these now have. Very important since other phones like my Gigabeat buds and Sleek SA7 LTD. have higher end mids/vocals and things like the AKG K4XX's, Koss 60 Ohm driver, and the older PX90/100/100-II really lacked the ability to have mids that are clean, clear, balanced/non-recessed and also resolve well enough and are placed correctly in the stage. The difference between them seeing some use vs.ending up staying in the drawer. Also important as my PMX95 are big sports/sports talk/podcast phones and there it is all about the announcer/host and vocal performance and even at some bad bitrates you can still hear the difference with PMX 95 opening things up, cleaning up the voices, giving them better dynamics, giving better depth and transparency.

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #35 of 64
Yes indeed, the PX and PMX 95 should be more popular than they seem to be. The PMX's behind the neck form factor may not be for everyone but that does tend to drive the price down a bit. Always found an ultra-portable always comes in handy and the PMX is very unobtrusive at it's 54 gram weight and doesn't weigh you down but yet sounds quite good and in the same vain as their bigger phones.

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #36 of 64
The PX 95 and PMX 95 are criminally underrated. Then again, I tend to like portables that get little attention, while the popular models that I try usually end up being disappointments. I certainly prefer the PX 95 over two certain closed, $200 portables, one of which is from Sennheiser themselves.

Still, I'm surprised those who like the PX 100(-II) haven't given these a shot yet. Maybe they're afraid they just might like these better!

EDIT: Post 1200. Only 300 posts and 2 years to go. :p

May 3, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #38 of 64
I used to have the PMX60. The PMX95 is pretty much the same thing except the drivers swivel and fit can be adjusted and the cable is better. They may be a little lighter as well(you'd have to check the weights). If your fine with the fit of the 60 the 95 should be nearly the same. Pads and housings are slightly bigger diameter so they cover the ear a bit more as well.

May 3, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #39 of 64
The PMX60 are not ideal, as allmost all the weight is supported by the top of the outer ear, si I am looking more into the PX95, where the weight should be more equally distributed across the headband and so they should be more confortable to wear during exercise.

Furthermore, there are two common problems which I encountered when running with supraural headphones: the first being too little clamp force, wich makes the headphones unstable and the other is wind noise. Could you give a tought on that? Would you try to go for a run with these heaphones? :D

May 4, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #40 of 64
I find the PMX more comfortable than the PX with a lighter clamping force but for more rigorous activities that may indeed make them more stable. The PMX can be adjusted so they get tighter though which both keeps them stable and takes weight off the top of the ear. How well they would work for you or someone else though I can't say for certain of course. They did rethink it and improved the design and it is better for sure. The PX is really cheap now $25 so that just may make the choice easy but they are better for other exercise like bench stuff since nothing runs behind the neck so leaning the head back against things is not an issue.

They don't isolate much so you can hear wind but they don't have any wind whistle or odd artifacts because of it. They both have the wider pads that are taper on the outside so they help with wind in that it flows over better and covers more of the ear parts that catch the wind and may create some noise.

The PX95 is a fine choice esp. at the current price. A good improvement over the PMX60.

May 4, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #41 of 64
Thanks for the nice comment. The only problem now is that I can not understand why are they so cheap in the US and not so cheap in the EU. The cheapest I found are like 38e (~52usd), but it does not seem like I have a choice, haha.

Nov 7, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #42 of 64
Found out about these yesterday. Since I still need a good portable (°_°)phone, I have a question: which ones are more detailed and neutral:

-PX 95
-PMX 95
-iGrado

?

I will get one of these, but I do need help in choosing.

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #44 of 64
PX 95 is more akin to the KSC35. The PMX 95 is more like the KSC75. Either more bassy/warm like the former or somewhat more balanced like the latter. So, that would make the KSC35 more bassy, a bit thicker, and less open sounding than the PMX 95. PMX is a bit more refined and balanced. Of course a different form factor. The PMX would have no tangling issues since they are single sided and may be easy to put on take off since they have a band instead of clipping on each side. The form factor may be the biggest difference, followed by signature difference, then the SQ difference which is better on the Senn but not by a big amount.  Your priorities may be different than those though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back