Some help, please?
Dec 10, 2008 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Sleepie

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, first post here & I'm looking for a bit of help :3

I managed to pick up a pair of SE530s for $16. My dilemma is, should I keep them or sell them?

For a bit of background, I'm a broke college student. I've been using a pair of E2Cs for a little over a year, but the sound was starting to cut out randomly on the right so I bought a pair of ER6i for $50 during Black Friday and found I don't really like the way they sound. I stumbled across what was apparently a price mistake on Amazon for the SE530 and jumped (didn't really expect the order to go through though!). I'm not a huge audiophile; although spotting upgraded earphones on the subway makes me smile, I don't mess with non-preset EQs to tweak the sound or go much farther than wanting only 320kbps MP3s (I did order the E5 amp in case it makes anything sound better
icon10.gif
).

Now the thing is, if these die on me 2 years from now I don't think I'm going to be willing to replace them (what with loans and food to pay for & all
tongue.gif
). I'm not really strapped for cash atm either though, so if I were to sell them the money I get will just go towards buying presents for people.

Do you guys think I should keep the SE530s? I'm just mostly worried I'm going to be spoiled by them & won't be able to "revert" to "lesser" earphones if they were to break later on D:

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #2 of 15
I would keep them and get a taste of the good life. That is unless you are starving and need the cash for food.

Dec 10, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #3 of 15
$16?

I would sell them. Considering the profit margin.

Dec 10, 2008 at 9:02 AM Post #4 of 15
i second keeping them. your next move as a starving student should be to leave this forum and never return. your wallet will thank you. just tuck those bad boys away and treat them like gold so they won't break. you won't get another chance at having high quality iems at that price. if they break later on you will have gotten your $16 worth.

Dec 10, 2008 at 11:07 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mmm..is there such a thing as a fake SE530?

Was just thinking that. There are fake Shures, but dunno about 530s. I say sell them, and buy something cheaper. The profit will allow you to buy several IEMs, and since IEMs have a tendency to break (rather, we have a tendency to break them), the cash will come in handy.

Dec 10, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #9 of 15
Lucky you! I once ordered a pair of PC speaker from Amazon and they send in a big box of two...
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiddishHamburgla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
your next move as a starving student should be to leave this forum and never return.

lol, I was going to take this advice to heart but I started reading some threads and now it's too late! My curiosity demands to be satiated.
ph34r.gif

Thanks for the opinions so far! As it is I'm sending the E2C in for replacement since they're still under warranty, and have those ER6i in the meantime so I most likely wouldn't use the profit to buy more IEMs. I bought these from Amazon with a valid receipt so I'm pretty sure they're covered by the warranty, don't think I need to re-buy them to get a pair with warranty?

If it sounds like I'm leaning towards keep them, it's because I am -- all this reading about audio quality and how to improve it is sucking me in
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mmm..is there such a thing as a fake SE530?

I was worried about that too, but since Amazon corrected the price mistake literally 3 minutes after I ordered I think it was a genuine glitch. I linked my friend and his order got canceled, so I think I just got really lucky.

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleepie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was worried about that too, but since Amazon corrected the price mistake literally 3 minutes after I ordered I think it was a genuine glitch. I linked my friend and his order got canceled, so I think I just got really lucky.

What, and you didn't order at least 5 of them?

That would've been the best investment a poor college student could've ever made, whether or not you resold them.

Dec 11, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #13 of 15
When I ordered it I did it via 1-click ordering & really wasn't expecting the order to go through at all. Not to mention I think I was in shock seeing such a low price
tongue.gif
(that and finals have probably reduced enough brain cells for the idea of buying more to not even occur to me. lol)

Anyway, I'm plenty happy I managed to get even one!

Dec 11, 2008 at 9:34 AM Post #14 of 15
Nice. I would probably sell them since I don't really like earphones. However, if I got some good headphones for cheap, I'd probably keep them if I liked them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back