Some General And Specific Amp Questions
Feb 8, 2010 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Mediaogre

100+ Head-Fier
First time Head-fier. I'm so glad I found you guys when I did. I'll try to format my questions so I don't appear to be the worst forum newb on the Internet today.

I plan to pair an amp with SE530s and a Zune 80.

General Questions:

-Will a quality amp reduce or eliminate the hard disk "farting" and other electronic device noises I'm hearing?
-I've heard that some amps pick up electronic interference from cellular phones, etc. Do they all do this, or is it just the less expensive models?

Specific Questions:

-Is there an amp that compares with Ray Samuel's Shadow for less but still has high build quality? (I know this is a stretch. Ray's elegant design and attention to detail seem unmatched. Portability and quality of construction is key. And the Pico Slim seems unobtainable.)
-Can someone explain the Shadow's lack of a need for a gain switch?
-I've read that some amps pop when powered on. Is this something I need to be concerned with, or is this a symptom of cheaper components?
-Does anyone have feedback on the Shadow and IEMs?

Thanks,

Greg

Feb 8, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 2
Clarification on a couple things:

I'll appreciate and accept any suggestions. I'm not set on any model. I merely mentioned the Shadow because I've emailed Ray about it, and he's thinks it's a good match for my phones.

I'm in Oregon. Great for the whole, sustainable materials/green movement thing, but not so good for trying out portable headphone amps. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back