Solved my comfort issue with audio-technica ATH-M50
Oct 26, 2010 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Bastido

New Head-Fier
I have large ears and found the cups the M50 comes with just a tad too small for me which caused my ears to hurt after about one hour of use. A while back I bought Shure SRH840 which have larger cups and are far more comfortable form me. SHURE SRH840 comes with two sets of ear cups so removed M50 cups and put 840 cups on them (+rep for SHURE) and they fit the M50 perfectly. So, if anyone else wants to improve the comfort of the M50 just contact SHURE and see if they will sell you a set of 840 cups. As you can see in the below photo the far right cup is the M50 cup and it is somewhat smaller than the 840 cups. 840 padding is thicker and softer too.

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #2 of 5
that is crazy

my original cups actually fit my ears completely but my ears do tend to sweat if am not on a cool environment.
Cant wait for the cold lol

Good looking OP on that shure mod for those who find the original earcups inconvenient and uncomfortable.

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #3 of 5
I believe the SRH840 cups are also available at Sweetwater.

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
that is crazy

my original cups actually fit my ears completely but my ears do tend to sweat if am not on a cool environment.
Cant wait for the cold lol

Good looking OP on that shure mod for those who find the original earcups inconvenient and uncomfortable.

The M50 do cover my ears completely but jut barely so put pressure on the edges of my ears and like you I found they made my ears sweat quite a lot. For comfort my DT990 are still king though because they don't use pleather and have very large cups. I think audio-technica should go back to the drawing board and give the M50 better and larger ear pads.

Oct 26, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #5 of 5
Just for a little heads up:
I was wondering if my Beyer Dynamic Earpads DT250 would fit in my m50 since i sold my other v6 after they died and the m50 resembles the v6 in size.

They fit.

They are quite comfortable and i am sure i wont be sweating in these since they are not leather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back