SOLVED: La Figaro 339 repair
Aug 23, 2018 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tintinsnowydog

100+ Head-Fier
Received my La Figaro 339 tube amp yesterday, but it has a problem. Everything works (tubes light up, power on, sounds does come through) except the audio; it is largely crackling, and the music is very faint. I’ve tried changing tubes around etc so I think it is a circuit problem. The problem is, I have 0 electrical circuit knowledge and shipping it back to the maker is not really viable, so I’d like to try see if I can figure it out.

I’ve contacted the maker and he told me to check for shorts to ground in the signal pathway. How do I do that?

Some facts to help diagnosis;

-Static only when I start audio input (none when nothing is playing even at full knob volume)

-amp is dual mono (so I assume discrete on left right) but the same issue is present on both sides

-the louder I turn the music up the louder the static becomes (it is about 5x as loud as the music and the music doesn’t seem to increase in volume much at all)

This is a link to the schematic: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hel...or-in-otl-tube-amp.611348/page-2#post-8414767

Not sure how to read it, can anyone tell me which parts to test and how? I have a multimeter.

Many thanks in advance for any help. a

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 6
Hey there fellow La Figaro owner. I have the exact same problem but only in the right channel. Looking through your pictures I see that we have the same model but I can´t see what wires are not connected. Which one was it for you. Maybe I have the same problem, I just can´t see it?

Mar 24, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 6
Hi All, I purchased La Figaro 339 tube amp 220V from a friend few months ago. Initially I thought I'll buy a step up transformer to use the amp but most of these device
configure to use a difference plug then what were provided with the amp. I am consider to convert the amp to use 110V and keep it clean instead of adding another larger power convert in my listening area. Tintinsnowydog was kind enough to provide the wiring pictures plus indicated that he contacted the maker regarding the amp. With most of the electronic equipments are dual volts 110/220 V (autoswitching) Any fellow Le Figaro owner have done this with the amp? If so please advise. Thanks so much.

Aug 18, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 6
Hi Everyone - I needed to replace my socket (left hand side for the smaller tube) on my La Figaro 339 - I am a complete amateur but I took pics and re-soldered everything back correctly but my the left side won't work. The tube heats up ok but no sound comes out. I'm not sure if I replaced it with the wrong tube socket? I used this socket https://tubedepot.com/products/belton-8-pin-octal-chassis-mount-socket. I am pretty sure everything was re-soldered correctly, but right now I am at a complete loss. I can provide pics if anyone is able to help. thanks in advance!

Oct 24, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #6 of 6
So today I fired up my amp with an Elex plugged in. Nothing playing nor was I wearing the headphones yet when I think I heard a pop emanate from the Elex and when I went to listen nothing came out the right channel.
Oddly enough, when I slowly pull the jack some sound comes out the right channel again so I tried listening partly pulled but the audio was obviously not good.
Bizarre as the amp has not budged the entire time and had been fine the night before.
Any guesses? Hoping it's just a tube issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back