Solution to breathing problems due to wearing IEMs?
Sep 9, 2009 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Bengt77

500+ Head-Fier
While wearing IEMs, I can of course hear myself breathe most of the time. This causes me to think my breathing is noticeable to people around, even though it probably isn't. However, the sensation causes me to have trouble breathing normally. I try to make as little sound as possible, which means my breathing gets very shallow, causing me lack of breath, forcing me to take deeper breaths, probably making my breathing audible to people around me, and so the problem worsens over time. Unless there's nobody around me, that is, as when I'm alone I have no trouble breathing at all. Does anybody else have this issue as well? What can I do about it? Is there a solution? Can I train myself to control my breathing? Or, even better, can I train myself to not control (or at least stop trying to control) my breathing and just let it be the subliminal process it's supposed to be?

Anybody? Any help is welcome, really. I fell in love with IEMs when I first got my SE210 and now I'm in love with my SE530, so I definitely don't want to switch (back) to earbuds.

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 12
Buy a pair of Yuin buds and then you won't hear yourself, best solution I can think of to be honest...

NOTE: Did not read the whole original post about not switching back to buds, my apologies.

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're supposed to put them in your ears.

icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benaiir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Put em in deeper. Pretty much what Kees said.

I know how to wear my IEMs, it's just that the seal sometimes makes me have trouble breathing normally. Any solution to that, besides stop breathing altogether, as iriverdude suggested?

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 12
It's simply an unavoidable side-effect of IEMs. You get the joy of hearing your insides.
tongue.gif
You gain the isolation, but you become more aware of other sounds like breathing, moving your mouth, chewing, etc. You lower the noise floor, you start to hear other things. Call it a double-edged sword.

The self-conscious thing is a whole other ballgame. That's a confidence issue, not a headphone issue.

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The self-conscious thing is a whole other ballgame. That's a confidence issue, not a headphone issue.

X2. Try focusing on the music more.

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #12 of 12
It's not an iem issue, it's personal/psychological issue. You just need to realize fully that you are not breathing louder, it's just the effect of the iem. You can learn to control your breath through different breathing techniques. But this requires your attention and usually when I listen to music I just want to focus on the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back