Solid state vs. Tubes
Mar 31, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #31 of 52
I think the placebo(or indeed nocebo) effect is always going to play some part when it comes to tube amps or even hybrid amps or other tube components.

Today I auditioned at great length an XCan V3 and a Perreaux SXH1. Upon hearing the SXH1 I was left wondering why it does not get much mention here on Head Fi. Quite simply it is the best headphone amplifier I have ever heard (though that is probably not saying much). And if I were blind, I would have sworn that it was a tube amp, so effortless and realistic was the sound of a string section in an orchestra. I have never heard solid state achieve this until that audition today.

The XCan V3 sounded great too - almost exactly as I had predicted with a rather warm and tubby traditional tube sound in terms of the way I have perceived it over the years.

Apr 2, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #33 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Today I auditioned at great length an XCan V3 and a Perreaux SXH1. Upon hearing the SXH1 I was left wondering why it does not get much mention here on Head Fi. Quite simply it is the best headphone amplifier I have ever heard (though that is probably not saying much). And if I were blind, I would have sworn that it was a tube amp, so effortless and realistic was the sound of a string section in an orchestra. I have never heard solid state achieve this until that audition today..

The SXH1 was FOM for a short times on its release a few years but but some issues with QC on the MK1 version seemed to dampen enthusiasm.
I owned one for several trouble free years and agree that it's a great little amp.
I only parted with mine to help fund an Opera.
The information that I received from Perreaux(just up the road from me) was that the SXH1 wasn't the amp they'd have liked to release but was built to meet a price point. The later SXH2 which I've had some time with was a more definite statement from them but I think importer/distribution problems may have hindered its success in North America, along with price increases.
IMO the SXH2 is a definite improvement over the earlier amp but both are excellent value.
My only bitch with the SXH1 was the dinky little volume knob, more at home on a portable amp.

Apr 2, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #34 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuatara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My only bitch with the SXH1 was the dinky little volume knob, more at home on a portable amp.

Too right
rolleyes.gif
What the heck were they thinking. Was this amp only intended to be used by Pygmies?

Apr 2, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #35 of 52
Tubes are FUN. I have SS amps and tube amps that sound great. But I prefer tubes, partly for some sonic reasons, and partly because I just love tubes. Tube amps are a hobby unto themselves
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #36 of 52
Tubes are not so hard to live with if you get the right amp like my Yamamoto HA-02 which uses on one type and only two of them, one for each channel.

Apr 2, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #37 of 52
tube overdrive and distortion sounds better imo and comparable wattages are alot louder.

Apr 2, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #38 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tubes are not so hard to live with if you get the right amp like my Yamamoto HA-02 which uses on one type and only two of them, one for each channel.

Plus the Yamamoto's tubes are cheap, doesn't appear to be critical to have matched pairs either
biggrin.gif

I spent around half the price of the Mapletree stocking up on NOS tubes when I purchased it, the Yammy has cost peanuts in comparison.

I find it quite amusing the reaction of some members to 'older' technology, as though it's somehow more delicate and less relaible.
Rather like the younger mechanics in my workshop faced with points ignition systems.

Apr 2, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #39 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuatara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plus the Yamamoto's tubes are cheap, doesn't appear to be critical to have matched pairs either
biggrin.gif

I spent around half the price of the Mapletree stocking up on NOS tubes when I purchased it, the Yammy has cost peanuts in comparison.

I find it quite amusing the reaction of some members to 'older' technology, as though it's somehow more delicate and less relaible.
Rather like the younger mechanics in my workshop faced with points ignition systems.

A friend came over one day and saw my amp, the Yamamoto HA-02. He said are those tubes? Like why would anyone be using tubes today.

Yes, the Yammy has a special sound with my two Ultrasone headphones, that is why I have two.

Apr 27, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #40 of 52
i've heard tube amps are inferior to solid state when it comes to bass definition and deep bass reproduction, as well as high end extension and detail retrieval. is any of this true? i've never heard a tube amp and i'd like to venture into this territory wrt amps.

Apr 27, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #41 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've heard tube amps are inferior to solid state when it comes to bass definition and deep bass reproduction, as well as high end extension and detail retrieval. is any of this true? i've never heard a tube amp and i'd like to venture into this territory wrt amps.

It's very speaker dependent. High quality tube amps don't lack for detail and extension. SS amps can lack bass definition if they don't have high enough damping for the particular speaker applictaion.

The big advantage of SS is high power in a relatively compact package, low heat (in many but not all cases) and relatively light weight.

Still, I think that the best examples of each are very good.

I use a solid state Continuum 500 intergrated amp by Jeff Rowland Design Group because I like the great sound, small package, low heat (so I can put it in an armoire and not worry) and high power (1,000 watts into 4 ohms). Yes, it's got great bass, transparent and detailed mids and crystalline highs.

Dave

Apr 27, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #42 of 52
Sonically it's a moot point since you can find tube amps with sound characteristics and vice versa. Like I said before, it's all about the fun/coolness facter with tubes.

Apr 27, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #43 of 52
I would be hard pressed to say which I like better. Sometimes I love the tube warmth and sometimes it kind of bothers me. On the other hand I've heard SS amps that I would swear were tube. The tube experience does somehow enhance late night listening. If op amps and transistors glowed that would make SS cooler I guess hah.

Apr 27, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #44 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In my experience, no it isn't.

Apr 27, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #45 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr dougie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be hard pressed to say which I like better. Sometimes I love the tube warmth and sometimes it kind of bothers me. On the other hand I've heard SS amps that I would swear were tube. The tube experience does somehow enhance late night listening. If op amps and transistors glowed that would make SS cooler I guess hah.

If you have a tube "warmth" that is unnatural then the tube amp isn't designed right or the tubes aren't right. A tube amp that is designed well should be neutral, lifelike with an organic nature. Very good solid state amps can do this but I think it costs less and is easier with a well designed tube amp. Having said this, the Hafler 280XL was a nice performer for not too much money but that goes back a few years. There was a lot of potential there. But again I like tubes but only when done right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back