Solid state vs. Tubes
Apr 27, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #46 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcstep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's very speaker dependent. High quality tube amps don't lack for detail and extension. SS amps can lack bass definition if they don't have high enough damping for the particular speaker applictaion.

The big advantage of SS is high power in a relatively compact package, low heat (in many but not all cases) and relatively light weight.

Still, I think that the best examples of each are very good.

I use a solid state Continuum 500 intergrated amp by Jeff Rowland Design Group because I like the great sound, small package, low heat (so I can put it in an armoire and not worry) and high power (1,000 watts into 4 ohms). Yes, it's got great bass, transparent and detailed mids and crystalline highs.

Dave

so advantages depend on the respective price points of the 2 types of amps. makes sense. but from what i gather you're saying the advantage of a solid state amp is more power for less money/size/heat.

Apr 27, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #47 of 52
I'm probably in the severe minority here, but I much prefer solid state to tubes. From what I've auditioned (which granted all lie in the sub-500 range), I've found SS amps to have much more clarity and detail. SS is a little bit more fatiguing, however, but I've found that over time it's become less of a problem for me.

Apr 27, 2008 at 8:59 AM Post #48 of 52
there are both good, but i think i prefer tubes a bit more. however, good tube amps are a bit more expensive than solid state ones.

Apr 27, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #50 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have a tube "warmth" that is unnatural then the tube amp isn't designed right or the tubes aren't right. A tube amp that is designed well should be neutral, lifelike with an organic nature. Very good solid state amps can do this but I think it costs less and is easier with a well designed tube amp.

I disagree. I think it's much, much easier to find a neutral SS amp that is priced lower in comparison to tube amps. It's relatively easy to find neutral and transparent SS amps, not so much the same for tube amps. A lot of them have a more colored/warm/euphonic midrange which is what so many people like them for. Maybe these tube amps aren't well design, but I read an article(found on the site, I'll look for it again) about tubes and one of the reasons people started to use them was because their distortion sounded better than with SS and that their was a euphonic sound to them. So I think it's natural for them to sound a bit warmer, just as I expect SS to sound a bit leaner/analytical in most cases.

The few tube amps I have heard of that lean more towards the neutral side of things are amps like the RSA Raptor and Zana Duex which are both much more than solid state amps like the GS1 or PPA.

Apr 28, 2008 at 9:28 AM Post #51 of 52
I remember when I faced the same choice. I decided to go with tubes (LD MKIII) for many reasons- soundstage, warmth, liquidy sound...etc. However, there was ONE main thing that pushed me over the edge- rolling tubes. You can change the sound to many different things depending on what you listen to and your equipment, or if you're like us...your new equipment. Why pay another few hundred to change the sound when it can only cost you 10 to 50 bucks with the tube world?

When I turn on my MKIII....it quickly returns the favor
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #52 of 52
Oh, I've been so busy that I nearly forgot that I had started this thread (although been reading the forums quite frequently). Thanks to everybody for good comments! Although I have to say that the basic question still remains, SS or tubes, but as some people already posted in this thread this won't probably change before I buy one of the two (or both!). Somebody gimmeyawallet!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightbitpotion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember when I faced the same choice. I decided to go with tubes (LD MKIII) for many reasons- soundstage, warmth, liquidy sound...etc. However, there was ONE main thing that pushed me over the edge- rolling tubes. You can change the sound to many different things depending on what you listen to and your equipment, or if you're like us...your new equipment. Why pay another few hundred to change the sound when it can only cost you 10 to 50 bucks with the tube world?

When I turn on my MKIII....it quickly returns the favor
smily_headphones1.gif

I think that I will be eventually leaning to LD MK III as well. The price seems right and the variability that I could get by tube rolling also seems nice. I still have some time to think though as I won't be doing anything before I finish my studies for this semester..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back