Solid State vs. Tubes: Which one(s) and why plus more
Apr 7, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #16 of 46
I'm certain that a good DAC will crush the quality of a portable video/mp3 player like S9. Source is the most important aspect of the music and all else being equal have a much greater effect on music than an amp.

Also, I'm pretty sure bravo won't give you a good idea of what a tube amp should sound like. I prefer SS. Convenience + sturdiness > hardware EQ. Hell if u arent a purist i'm certain spending a few hours fiddling with EQ can allow you to modify sound to be more similar to whichever tube amp u like.

Phone/amps/dacs all add colour to the music, which by definition accomplishes the same objective as EQing. So i dont see any reason why you shouldnt go for the cheaper and more convenient route, the EQing the sound.

Tube rolling for different sounds = EQing for different sounds. EQ is free and provides more options.

Apr 7, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #17 of 46
My Corda Cantate.2 and my previous amp Little Dot MK V both powered my orthos (Yamaha HP-50S) just fine - both with the volume dial well over 12 though, so it is fine to have a SS amp and use orthos.

Also, owning an S9 I can confirm using a computer > DAC > amp set up does blow away an S9 > amp set up, although the latter is still a very nice listening experience. That little bit of extra clarity a dedicated DAC will offer makes a big difference.

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #18 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Corda Cantate.2 and my previous amp Little Dot MK V both powered my orthos (Yamaha HP-50S) just fine - both with the volume dial well over 12 though, so it is fine to have a SS amp and use orthos.

Volume would be just gain though. I was concerned about voltage swings.

Apr 7, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #19 of 46
Thanks for the info to all that contributed!

I'm convinced now that an SS DAC is probably my best bet, now I just have to choose one, lest I get suggestions about a better source... More ideas?

Apr 7, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarinetman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info to all that contributed!

I'm convinced now that an SS DAC is probably my best bet, now I just have to choose one, lest I get suggestions about a better source... More ideas?

Was this about DACs or Amps? you really should specify FFR.

I dont agree with a lot of the arguments against tubes in amps. There are things tubes can do that SS parts cant hope for. Distortion spectra before feedback, noise levels, bandwidth... this could go on. SS has some advantages. Specfically its less expensive to post very very good numbers. Despite the fact that its easier to post good measurements with SS gear its not any easier to make a bit of SS gear that actually sounds good.

OTOH, if this pertains to a DAC you need to be REALLLLY honest with yourself before looking at a tube output stage. I would not look at a tube DAC twice unless you are willing to spend upwards of a $1500. Sorry, below that point they are inevitably smeared, cloying, and after scrutiny annoyingly implemented tone controls.

Apr 7, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SS and tube amps have a very different kind of sound. Tube amps are generally less detailed with lusher, warmer mids and the highs are tamed more and bass brought out a bit more. Personally, I prefer Grados with tube amps and Ultrasones with Solid State amps. No idea about the SA5000 though.

This should be corrected to "Cheap tube amps..." as it's generally the result of their design. You can easily design a solid state amp to sound "tubey" and there are plenty of tube amps that don't have this characteristic.
smily_headphones1.gif

Again, as I said before, this advice is all meaningless if the OP doesn't find a good rig for his SA5000s.

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #22 of 46
I completely agree with you Currawong. I've listened cheap, mid-price, and high end tube amps. The more expensive tube amps don't sound tubey at all. It all comes down to design, and the parts used. But just like you said all of this is meaningless if the op doesn't find something that synergies with his sa5000s.

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few months ago I was in the same dilemma. I ended up going with a Mapletree Ear+ HD tube amp and couldn't be more satisfied. It's warm without being syrupy and I no longer have to eq any of my headphones, even the RS1i which, incidentally, have incredible synergy with this amp. The DT880/600ohm sound incredible as well. And tube rolling is lot of fun. The initial expense of different tubes is a temporary blow to the wallet, but if you get NOS tubes, they will last forever and the different sound signatures you get out of them is great for different types of music, different headphones, or whatever mood you're in. I have nothing against SS, but couldn't be happier with this tube amp.

My brother has a Meier Corda Concerto coming, which is in the same price range. I look forward to comparing.

Your story sounds like my exact experience!

Nothing has paired as well with my RS1/RS1i headphones (listening to them right now) and the synergy with my 600ohm T1s is also incredible!

Tube rolling is incredibly fun. For the past few months I've been using NOS Sylvania Triple Mica Grey Plate (Gold lettering) and loved it, now I just got a GE 5 Star 5751. Slightly different sound (slightly more airy presentation) and very nice in a different way.
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #24 of 46
Haha same experience with me except with a Grado HF-2 and DT880 600ohm
tongue.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your story sounds like my exact experience!

Nothing has paired as well with my RS1/RS1i headphones (listening to them right now) and the synergy with my 600ohm T1s is also incredible!

Tube rolling is incredibly fun. For the past few months I've been using NOS Sylvania Triple Mica Grey Plate (Gold lettering) and loved it, now I just got a GE 5 Star 5751. Slightly different sound (slightly more airy presentation) and very nice in a different way.
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha same experience with me except with a Grado HF-2 and DT880 600ohm
tongue.gif

Both of you guys helped me make the Ear+ decision in another thread. I'd probably hug you both if you were in front of me...ok I'd at least buy you a drink.
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #26 of 46
Haha awesome, that's two drinks in the past 14 or so hours I have gotten on Head-Fi
biggrin.gif
Glad I helped you make a decision. Audio decisions are always tough
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both of you guys helped me make the Ear+ decision in another thread. I'd probably hug you both if you were in front of me...ok I'd at least buy you a drink.
tongue_smile.gif

LOL...I'll take the Heineken.
beerchug.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #28 of 46
Well I have only had SS amps (little dot mkv), and am waiting on a Meier Concerto...

I can say that while the SA5K does improve nicely with proper amping -particularly with bass and clarity, the source with this headphone is of utmost importance as the SA5K picks up EVERYTHING... So it picking up clean pure audio is a good idea.

I would go solid state just because the specs are so much better :p. And they do seem to perform much better for the same $$. Plus, to get anything like a stepped attenuator or a discrete relay etc. it costs mad$$ which are the first things SS amps start to implement as you get higher up the ladder.

I'll let you know how the SA5K and Concerto sound when I get one.

I really wanted to get a pair of HD 800 or something, but I really think at this point getting a much better DAC and AMP will get me much further than only upgrading my transducer (from SA5K)... plus when I eventually get a pair I will be completely set!

Apr 8, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #29 of 46
Instead of starting another thread, I figure I'll use this one. What is the general opinion of that HiFiMan EF2A hybrid headphone amp. I'm looking at this as my first headphone amp and have seen good reviews. However there's mention on this thread not to get a cheap tube amp. If I get it it will be teamed with Grado SR60i headphones initially, while I save up 3-500 bucks for better phones, probably Grados. It will be a bit before I drop the hammer as I'm still deciding and trying to learn what I can as far as what to look for as there is no store that I know of that lets you try these things out.I appreciate any replies and advice.

Apr 8, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #30 of 46
It is a very nice little DAC and amp combo which will be good for Grado's. Something like the Little Dot I+ and uDAC combo will be better with Grado's though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back