Solid State vs. Tubes: Which one(s) and why plus more
Apr 8, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Volume would be just gain though. I was concerned about voltage swings.

I'm not a very technical guy, could you explain the difference between the two issues and how they would relate to orthodynamic phones?

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #32 of 46
Clarinetman, I'm not sure if you'd be getting the best or worst of both worlds, but couldn't you get a cheap Zero or another amp that would allow you to roll the opamps. You could try an HDAM or something. The you'd be able to tailor the amp to the sound that you want without having the "pain in the ass" resulting from tubes and tube rolling.
It'd give you a chance to find a good sound you'd like without burning your wallet.

Having said all this, I'm not sure if a modded Zero would last any longer than the tubes in your Bravo.

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #33 of 46
I love both ss and tubes,but really tend to love ss sound more. but tubes have that euphoric,warm sound that ss amps just can't seem to produce.
ss have their advantages and are more accurate than tubes ,but tubes can be very pleasent sometimes.

Apr 8, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #34 of 46
I think I am ready to upgrade my amp from an AV123 x-head that I currently have to drive my Senn HD580. I am very interested in the PS Audio GCHA (now that the price has dropped) and also the WOO 3+. The prices are almost exactly the same now. I realize these are very different amps, but this seems like the right thread to post this in. From what I gather I probably couldn't go wrong with either. Does anyone have a strong opinion either way? Has anyone had experience with both?

Apr 26, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chips aren't cold, it's just your attitude towards them that is, mister =P
ADA4627-1AR is quite comfortably warm, I'll tell you what.

Can you try both?

lol nice

Apr 26, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I'd ignore all this tube vs. solid state discussion and get advice from someone who a: listens to the same kind of music as you do, and b: has owned SA5000s and a variety of amps, as they are the only people who are going to give you sane advice.

Great point. The debate on tubes vs solid state has been going on for the 30 plus years I have been in the hobby. Solid State has come a long way in the last ten years. Gone is the hard sterile grainy sound and closer to the sound of good tubes. IMHO all depends on the type of music and the source you are using. I have solid state in my main rig driving my Maggie speakers and the sound is to die for. I am using a tube amp for my cans and it is to die for but solid state also sounds as good with my cans as I also use them in my main rig and now have ordered a solid state for my cans. I am also keeping my tube amp as I love the sound and tube swapping. In regards to tube swapping when you fi9nd the right mix of tubes I seem to stop swapping as I like the sound and see no reason to continue swapping. It is an insane hobby and you can go broke very quickly. Get opinions on your music set your budget and buy the best amp your money will buy. Then just listen to the music. Many people are more in this hobby for the sound of equipment than for the music.

Apr 26, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Albinoni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you find tubes sound better on turntables than on CD's ?

Wow that a tough one. I hardly use my viny rig anymore but when I had the Cat SL1 MK11 tube preamp the phone stage was incredible. It was also a 6k preamp. I only have the intergrated phono stage now and enjoy the CD's more. IMHO when I had the Cat vinly ruled.

Apr 26, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #39 of 46
There is one line of thinking, though, that says that digital needs tubes more than vinyl does
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is one line of thinking, though, that says that digital needs tubes more than vinyl does
biggrin.gif

Rob I agree. Early didital is what forced me to tubes in 1995. I think that both the dac's being used and the better recorded Cd's have pretty much moved to the point as has solid state amps that tubes isn't necessary for digital anymore. I just seem to listen so much more to Cd's than I used to in the last couple years. It is a fun time to be in the hobby.

Apr 26, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #41 of 46
On a quick scan of this thread, Currawong and Unkle Eric have some good advice and observations that I'd agree with. I'd take Currawong's suggestion a bit further (though it is an excellent suggestion) and tell you to go try to hear the stuff yourself with the headphones and music you prefer. Whether it be at a friend's, local head-fi'er you seek out, a meet, or at a dealer. No one can tell you which combination is actually right for you...you'll be the best judge of that. That said, observations about the two topologies that snap either firmly into a pigeon hole should be entirely ignored as they are nonsense. It will depend entirely on the individual amp, and the cans you pair it with, as Unkle Eric suggests I think. Everything else is just broad generalizations which are sometimes highly inaccurate. Same thing goes for speaker-based systems and for any component in the chain. Listen to them yourself, and if you can't then seek out advice that really focuses in on the models you are considering, along with the cans you have and check that against what kind of music the reviewer is basing their comments on. Even then, you may be surprised how observations may vary from how you end up perceiving the same thing. Take all you hear from others as a point of departure and try the stuff out yourself and find your own path.

Apr 26, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #42 of 46
Well, I'm a solid state advocate (if both are at the same quality and price).

Yeah, I like THD distortion...not. Human ears are quite sensitive to distortion tbh, you'd be surprised. Not to mention extra cost of tubes. Of course, value for money will always rule over it.

Apr 26, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #43 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

I tend to agree. I find that even with a budget tube amp, it makes digital sound nicer and more appealing than with a solid state in the same price range.

Apr 26, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it makes digital sound nicer and more appealing than with a solid state in the same price range.

i.e. More coloured

Users who are viewing this thread

Back