Solid State Rivals?
Sep 24, 2007 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Audio Jester

1000+ Head-Fier
I have had my sights set on an Corda Opera for some time now, but before I pull the trigger on this I thought I should just get some other opinions on the matter. So the question is, are there any other SS amps around the Opera's price range that have a USB DAC... (or are a USB DAC), or maybe amp/DAC combos that would challenge the Opera?

Cheers.
icon10.gif

Sep 24, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 18
the Opera is $1135 with DAC.

the 2007 HR desktop is $999 and that has a DAC.

the HR balanced desktop with DAC is $1200.

the PS Audio GCHA which also has a DAC is $995 but can be had for much cheaper used.

those are some options.

Sep 25, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #7 of 18
LOL too true D-Cee,

I am surprised that the HR desktop would rival the Opera. The bottom line is sound quality here. I know the Opera has a relatively neutral sound, but a little flavor is ok with me. The DAC1 seems pretty nice (even though its pricey), but I don't know how the amp in it compares with the Opera. Although the possibility of having both SE and balanced on a rig would be nice.

Maybe keep in mind I am aiming for a PC-based setup ....and I am a bit of a basshead.

icon10.gif

Sep 25, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #8 of 18
I'm very happy with my recent purchase of the Corda Cantate and it's the first solid state headphone amp that I have owned that I've been truly happy with. I can only imagine the Corda Opera is much better still.

I realise that more and more people are looking for something that also has a quality USB/DAC incorporated into the one device, but thankfully for me I'd rather rely on the quality of the DAC of my CD player. I'm not at all a fan of MP3s or the likes so the USB feature is lost on me.......

Sep 25, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by LoweArt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm very happy with my recent purchase of the Corda Cantate ....

That's great to hear, I love my little Arietta, but I really want a bit more juice in my cans....so I thought I would just skip the others and head for the top.
wink.gif

Sep 25, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the Opera is $1135 with DAC.

the 2007 HR desktop is $999 and that has a DAC.

the HR balanced desktop with DAC is $1200.

the PS Audio GCHA which also has a DAC is $995 but can be had for much cheaper used.

those are some options.

I have the GCHA for sale
600smile.gif
and it's half the price of the opera

Sep 25, 2007 at 7:17 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by pianomav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the GCHA for sale
600smile.gif
and it's half the price of the opera

Shame, I'm in Australia and we use the BIG voltage ...he he.

Why can't the world just set the voltage the same....sheesh.
(rhetorical...keeping this thread on track)

PS: anyway, you are selling it and are keeping your opera....

Sep 25, 2007 at 9:47 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Jester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL too true D-Cee,

I am surprised that the HR desktop would rival the Opera. The bottom line is sound quality here. I know the Opera has a relatively neutral sound, but a little flavor is ok with me. The DAC1 seems pretty nice (even though its pricey), but I don't know how the amp in it compares with the Opera. Although the possibility of having both SE and balanced on a rig would be nice.

Maybe keep in mind I am aiming for a PC-based setup ....and I am a bit of a basshead.

icon10.gif

I suppose the Opera is quite neutral, but it definately puts some emphasis on the lower end. Superb bass impact and depth. The DAC1 probably has a better DAC than the Opera (haven't heard it myself) but the amplififer in the Opera is definately top-notch. You should check out the Opera review / loaners program thread on TTVJ's board. Lot's of helpful comments there that might point you in the right way.

And regarding the Opera he's selling. You can just change the voltage on the back of the amplifier, might have to change the fuse though so it fits the higher voltage.

Sep 25, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose the Opera is quite neutral, but it definately puts some emphasis on the lower end. Superb bass impact and depth. The DAC1 probably has a better DAC than the Opera (haven't heard it myself) but the amplififer in the Opera is definately top-notch. You should check out the Opera review / loaners program thread on TTVJ's board. Lot's of helpful comments there that might point you in the right way....

Thanks for the info! as I said in the OP I am basically set on the Opera, but was just wondering if there was another system that flew under my radar. In all fairness though, I think my mind is made up (which is no an easy thing to do). My only concern is that I have read that the Opera does not have a "wow" signature....I am not really after the "wow", but I want to get the most out of my cans.

Sep 25, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Jester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shame, I'm in Australia and we use the BIG voltage ...he he.

Why can't the world just set the voltage the same....sheesh.
(rhetorical...keeping this thread on track)

PS: anyway, you are selling it and are keeping your opera....

Yeap, keeping the opera. I like the extra inputs/headphone out on the corda amp and the crossfeed. It's the analog version though and it doesn't have the built-in dac like the GCHA but that's what the dac1 is for
600smile.gif

For a single amp/dac solution, the gcha is really good especially for its price (when used, not retail).

Edit: I re-read the post above...nope i'm not selling my corda opera (..yet :wink: ). However, I'm in the market for a gs-x and when I find one, i'll probably let the opera go since I can't afford to keep 2 great (..and expensive) amps. But as far as the 'wow' factor, it has that + more. This is a step up from the DAC1 built-in amp, it has crossfeed which I use all the time, and the amp itself is stunning to look at. I encourage you to audition it if there's a fellow head-fier close to your area and hear for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back