Solid silver core cable + cardas connector with HD 600
Aug 13, 2011 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

superman0390

Head-Fier
Hi guys i would like to know if the above is a good combination. I'm going balanced so ill add a xlr at the end of the cable. I heard solid silver core cables are very bright, is that true?? I prefer something more neutral and i really dislike fatiguing sounds. do also recommend some other cables if you can. thankss!

Aug 21, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 20
you should stay with the cooper wire to be safe . Cuz most of cheap silver wire don't sound that good IMO.

Aug 21, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 20

Quote:
Hi guys i would like to know if the above is a good combination. I'm going balanced so ill add a xlr at the end of the cable. I heard solid silver core cables are very bright, is that true?? I prefer something more neutral and i really dislike fatiguing sounds. do also recommend some other cables if you can. thankss!

Copper is more warmer and silver is somewhat more brighter. Silver is used stocky on some high end headphones as the HD800's. I recommend copper since some companies will put some odd silver mixture if theirs and its not 99.9% silver. I also recommend going to a certified cable maker so you can get what your wanting, and they will give you their .2c

Aug 22, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 20
Not all silver is bright, and not all copper is warm.  Read reviews or experiment yourself.

Aug 22, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 20

Personally I wouldn't recommend solid core wire for something like a headphone cable. Even if you don't mind the added stiffness that solid core wire brings to the table, with all the handling a headphone cable receives, it would be more prone to breaking due to work hardening than a stranded wire.

se

Aug 23, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #7 of 20
I have a fair amount of sold core silver in my system. Silver Bullet interconnects, I rewired my Maggie MMG's, and my Winsome Labs Mouse  with solid core pure silver. I use silver whenever I can. I think the 'bright" rap is wrong. Its a better conductor than silver and the oxidation is conductive. When it comes to tweaking the sound of my "bright" system I would look elsewhere for solutions.

Aug 23, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #8 of 20
I meant a better conductor than COPPER! - thanks

Aug 24, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #9 of 20
Yeah, Id recommend something stranded over a solid stranded cable for headphones. But if you MUST get solid strand, try getting something thats 26AWG and reinforcing the cable to reduce on the stiffness of the cable. I'd recommend 26awg bare silver + 24 awg teflon covered in some type of cotton then finished with techflex for added support. 

Aug 25, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #10 of 20

Quote:
Copper is more warmer and silver is somewhat more brighter. Silver is used stocky on some high end headphones as the HD800's. I recommend copper since some companies will put some odd silver mixture if theirs and its not 99.9% silver. I also recommend going to a certified cable maker so you can get what your wanting, and they will give you their .2c

I never knew there is a cable maker certification system?  Wouldn't that require some sort of cable maker regulatory body, with some sort of cable maker code of practice? 
biggrin.gif

At least with DIY cables you can be sure of what goes into them...

Aug 25, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
I never knew there is a cable maker certification system?  Wouldn't that require some sort of cable maker regulatory body, with some sort of cable maker code of practice? 
biggrin.gif

At least with DIY cables you can be sure of what goes into them...

Well, what i meant is to not go to ebay and buy some cheap cable that say's their is silver wire, when in reality it 60% silver and some other crap.

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #12 of 20
Hah what about that, starting  a certification program for cable makers. That would be pretty funny. 

But yes do be careful with buying stuff on ebay. The other day I was about to buy some silver wire and they even included a certificate of authenticity for 99.9999% OCC silver, until I realized it was silver coated copper wire. At the moment I'm planning on buying quite a large amount of wire and I'm just weighing the options between pure silver and occ copper. I was just looking at doublehelix cable's nucleotide wire, and might just go buy that if I can't find a good source for stranded silver. 

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #13 of 20

Quote:
Hah what about that, starting  a certification program for cable makers. That would be pretty funny. 

But yes do be careful with buying stuff on ebay. The other day I was about to buy some silver wire and they even included a certificate of authenticity for 99.9999% OCC silver, until I realized it was silver coated copper wire. At the moment I'm planning on buying quite a large amount of wire and I'm just weighing the options between pure silver and occ copper. I was just looking at doublehelix cable's nucleotide wire, and might just go buy that if I can't find a good source for stranded silver. 

Well stranded silver wire is very expensive! Besides ALO and Whiplash who sells silver cables, OCC is what i have and is very nice. I love OCC, but also be careful because their is cheap copper wire from Home Depot thats not OCC wire.

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #14 of 20
I've made solid silver headphone cables before, sleeved in Teflon. 24-26 gauge is pretty ideal, and not too terribly stiff imho. I usually use Homegrown wire as it comes pre-sleeved with Teflon and trying to sleeve long runs of silver is a pain.

The main problem with silver now is the price has literally quadrupled in the past two years. Last time I checked, a single run of 24 gauge wire was 9 bucks. Multiply by four, then by the number of feet you need, and it's gonna be sky high. Precious metal commodities will likely continue to balloon as long as there is insecurity in the market, so I doubt they'll be coming down any time soon. 

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #15 of 20
The brand of Q-tips you use makes more of a significant difference than the wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back