Soldering Cardas RCAs
Oct 29, 2020 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Wheezy

New Head-Fier
I got some Cardas rhodium-plated RCA connectors and was unsure of where to solder the neutral wires and also the shield on the transmit ends. I did a search and found others were confused. I saw some instructions that said to tamp/bend the bridge down with a screwdriver and solder on to there. This seemed reasonable but I was concerned that warping the bridge may make it difficult to screw the outer connector on later after soldering.

I emailed Cardas and they said their technicians solder the wires on to the front edge of the bridge. This edge doesn't provide you with much area to solder on to and again, if you get too much solder on the top of the bridge it might interfere with screwing the outer connector on.

I chose to solder to inner wall of the connector where the bridge meets and it worked well. I also see complaints that it is very difficult to get the solder to stick to these Cardas rhodium connectors. I had no problem at all. I used an iron at 700 degrees and applied a paste flux with a q-tip and used Cardas brand solder. I hope this helps anyone else who may be unsure how to work with these type RCAs.

20201018_162742.jpg

Oct 29, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 9
Always nice to see tips like these, appreciate.

But I'd like to add one note. I also used these...worst connectors I've ever worked with haha

EDIT: Below post is correct, most difficult. Sonically and aesthetically they are very good; just a pain to solder.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 9
worst connectors I've ever worked with haha
Maybe to clarify... most difficult? They do require higher temperatures to get a solid connection. Using standard off-the-shelf Home Depot tools they are difficult to work with. Otherwise, if you have a solder station; they are very durable and well constructed. I prefer them to many other RCAs. Some other ones I really like are the Vampire 808/CB Copper Body, the KLEI Bullet Plug (low-mass), and if cost is a major concern, the Canare F-09 is great.

Nov 1, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 9
Maybe to clarify... most difficult? They do require higher temperatures to get a solid connection. Using standard off-the-shelf Home Depot tools they are difficult to work with. Otherwise, if you have a solder station; they are very durable and well constructed. I prefer them to many other RCAs. Some other ones I really like are the Vampire 808/CB Copper Body, the KLEI Bullet Plug (low-mass), and if cost is a major concern, the Canare F-09 is great.

I corrected my post, as you are correct; they are most difficult to work with, but are very good connectors.

I don't use any Home Depot junk, as I'm using a Hakko FX888D station with multiple Hakko tips, along with the Cardas Quad Eutetic solder (awesome and easy solder to work with). The problem with the connector is its just not very ergomic to work with; I prefer the removable chucks that give easy access to the solder points over the solid metal construction that is difficult to fit into. And the connector doesn't take solder as well as other connectors.

Nov 1, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 9
Very succinctly put. I agree with all your points. They are not a good choice for brand new solder-slingers :wink: The Hakko FX888D was a great choice :thumbsup:

Once you put together a few interconnects with them, they won't bother you any more, but I agree they could be easier to use.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #6 of 9
Very succinctly put. I agree with all your points. They are not a good choice for brand new solder-slingers :wink: The Hakko FX888D was a great choice :thumbsup:

Once you put together a few interconnects with them, they won't bother you any more, but I agree they could be easier to use.

I suspect I'll give them a go again in the future lol...but in the meantime, I've been using good ol' Neutriks for interconnect connector needs. I definitely prefer the less-bulky aesthetic of the Cardas connectors though.

Nov 18, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #7 of 9
I made some more cables with Cardas connectors. The ones I worked with before had a matte finish on the inner connector surface. The last ones I worked with had a very shiny finish inside and were a bit more difficult to solder to the inner wall. I had to hold the iron on longer but it still worked out.

Jan 30, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #9 of 9
I hate plugs that don't have a hole drilled for the ground lead. Neutrik is famous for this also. I just opened a pair of factory cables with Neutrick phono plugs to see the same thing. The ground lead is set in a small pool of solder. Just crap!

Can anybody recommend some reasonably priced phono plugs? Everything I'm finding is 4 euros a piece and up. This is insane. Maybe it's because I'm old but I'm thinking 4 good ones for a euro would be more like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back