Sol Republic Tracks?
Dec 23, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #93 of 114
Yeah I was on a budget and wanted to get me some stylish headphones for less than $150 and these are totally worth it. People with those crappy Dre's already giving me looks :D

I've used Seinheiser's and Bose, etc but never owned them. These sound very close to them to be honest

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #96 of 114
I've listened to a lot of headphones in my day...and the Tracks Ultra are very impressive. Great combination of style and sound, but also durability which is what I wanted. My Sennheiser 280Pros are hideous and not fun, these are. With the exception of Beats, Monster makes some great sounding, solid and well-built headphones that look good. That's why they and Monster split, it was ruining their name. Anyway, the SOLs are fantastic.

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #97 of 114
Quote:
I've listened to a lot of headphones in my day...and the Tracks Ultra are very impressive. Great combination of style and sound, but also durability which is what I wanted. My Sennheiser 280Pros are hideous and not fun, these are. With the exception of Beats, Monster makes some great sounding, solid and well-built headphones that look good. That's why they and Monster split, it was ruining their name. Anyway, the SOLs are fantastic.

Thank you for saying all of this.  I agree whole-heartedly.  

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #98 of 114
Quote:

Thank you for saying all of this.  I agree whole-heartedly.  

Pretty good lows, controlled well on the Ultra, average mids, and pretty good highs. I was listening to The Pumpkins' Tonight Tonight on them (a very challenging song for headphones) and the higher-frequency bass in the chorus came through crisp and sharp. Corgan's vocals never sounded unbearable. V-shaped headphone. Excellent soundstage. Moderately comfortable. Look good. Love how everything is interchangeable (great for reliability) and built excellent. So-so separation.

Yet, they'll never get any props on here because the people on here think that any consumer level headphones sold at Best Buy are bad. (Funny, because BBY sells the AKG K550 and a huge selection of high end phones)

Some people on here don't understand that many people (even self-proclaimed audiophiles like myself) want good looking, luxurious, but excellent sounding headphones and pretty much none of the headphone brands usually recommended on here do that. Except for B&W...even though those get some criticism still.

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #99 of 114
Quote:

Pretty good lows, controlled well on the Ultra, average mids, and pretty good highs. I was listening to The Pumpkins' Tonight Tonight on them (a very challenging song for headphones) and the higher-frequency bass in the chorus came through crisp and sharp. Corgan's vocals never sounded unbearable. V-shaped headphone. Excellent soundstage. Moderately comfortable. Look good. Love how everything is interchangeable (great for reliability) and built excellent. So-so separation.

Yet, they'll never get any props on here because the people on here think that any consumer level headphones sold at Best Buy are bad. (Funny, because BBY sells the AKG K550 and a huge selection of high end phones)

Some people on here don't understand that many people (even self-proclaimed audiophiles like myself) want good looking, luxurious, but excellent sounding headphones and pretty much none of the headphone brands usually recommended on here do that. Except for B&W...even though those get some criticism still.

It's true they won't get good rep on here.  I think I got questioned a few times when I said they were on the level of the M80 (which I still feel they are).  What I found the funniest was that people kept saying this would be an over-bearingly bass-heavy phone, yet in reality, the bass is more controlled than that of the M80; people love the bass-heavy M100 as well.  I feel if SOL actually came on Head-Fi, said a few words, built some hype like V-Moda, Heir, or Aurisonics does on here, they might be more successful.  

And I agree with the consumer-level comment too.  They won't get props because the support "looks".  It's kind of a sad truth :frowning2:  Beats stigma still hits Head-Fi hard :frowning2:

And I agree with the design aspect of headphones too.  I don't need to be running around outdoors with Fostex headphones, no matter how good they are :p  A sense of design (after all, graphic design is a love of mine; as is photography) is really required with any product you buy.  Flashy or subdued, please at least make it look like a blind dong didn't design it :p  Most companies are catching on with the design aspect.  Just look at Denon and Ultimate Ears' latest offerings; design, usability, art placed into an all-in-one practical product (especially from the Denon side).

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #102 of 114
Quote:

I have just managed to auditioned the Tracks HD and Tracks Ultra recently - I was expecting Beats-style SQ but no, both of them were super impressive, the headband was not too friendly on my head (I have a big head) but nonetheless, I was mighty impressed with the sound.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #103 of 114
Quote:
In all honesty, the only complaint I have with SOL Republic is consistency. To elaborate, when I got a functional pair with no defects, it worked great. I even threw the "engines" against the wall as a stress test and there were barely any scratches to show for my efforts. However, I've gotten defective pairs multiple times. A common defect is that the engines can be "twisted." If you grab the the padded end and the other end and twist lightly, the engine would twist with your motion. I'm not sure how to describe it, but to this date I've gotten three defective engines with this same problem. I've talked to a lot of others with this problem as well, so it seems fairly common. It causes loss in volume and a kind of a rattling sound would appear while I was listening to music.

The upside is that the customer service is pretty great, and they'll usually send you a new set straight away.

I agree that SOL is on par with m80, but as to consistency and build quality, they aren't quite there yet. But then again, they are a relatively new company.

On another note, an over ear design has been released at CES. Its called the "Master Tracks." Looks promising.

I'm quite interested to hear the Master Tracks. If they're in the vein of the Ultra, I'm intrigued. I like the direction this company is going. Cheaper, interchangeable, headphones for the Beats-tards but also headphones for people who want great sound and looks.

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #104 of 114
the HDs were my gateway drug into better headphones and i will agree that they are good for the price and are stylish. BUT there literally is zero soundstage. its like a wall of sound with pretty good bass. i agree with most people in here that they are great HPs but lets not mislead them by saying that they have sound stage... I also bought my girlfriend a pair of the tracks ultras. same thing just more balanced sound with less bass impact.. I've been listening to them periodically as the drivers break in. i can honestly say there is better ways to spend 200$.

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #105 of 114
Quote:
the HDs were my gateway drug into better headphones and i will agree that they are good for the price and are stylish. BUT there literally is zero soundstage. its like a wall of sound with pretty good bass. i agree with most people in here that they are great HPs but lets not mislead them by saying that they have sound stage... I also bought my girlfriend a pair of the tracks ultras. same thing just more balanced sound with less bass impact.. I've been listening to them periodically as the drivers break in. i can honestly say there is better ways to spend 200$.

I actually thought the Ultras were on par with the M-80s, yes different signatures, but musically speaking, on the same level.  I never heard the HDs though.  I do have a pair of Master Tracks coming in though to test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back