Sol Republic Tracks?
Aug 4, 2012 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 114

Kosmik Panda

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking at the sol republic tracks or tracks hd headphones. I have the HD439 but my ears get really hot in them so I don't want to wear them to school. I'm looking at the sols because of the looks mostly (and so I can support a local company based about 30 minutes outside of Portland.)  also because of the detachable well everything. Only reason I am not sure weather to buy them is because I don't know how good they really sound. Leaning towards the tracks not sure what more the hd version brings to the table. Would be awesome if you guys could help me out! Thank you! 
darthsmile.gif

Aug 4, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 114
Quote:
I am looking at the sol republic tracks or tracks hd headphones. I have the HD439 but my ears get really hot in them so I don't want to wear them to school. I'm looking at the sols because of the looks mostly (and so I can support a local company based about 30 minutes outside of Portland.)  also because of the detachable well everything. Only reason I am not sure weather to buy them is because I don't know how good they really sound. Leaning towards the tracks not sure what more the hd version brings to the table. Would be awesome if you guys could help me out! Thank you! 
darthsmile.gif

Tracks (non-HD) has a deeper V-shape that can cripple the midrange.  Bass is strong and a little too much much of the time.  They are enjoyable and fun to listen to though.  Treble extends high, but still isn't the best.  

I haven't heard the HD, but do want to. 

Aug 4, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 114
I tried the HD version and found the mids OK but recessed so the HD is also V shaped signature wise but it was a nicer sounding headphone than I was expecting and better than a lot of the V shaped headphones I have heard. The bass was plenty strong but in a nicely controlled way and the treble was not to hot. I did find the clamp to much for comfort wise as I do wear glasses so you might want to take that into consideration. I think you might want to see if you hear both before buying since they are so close price wise.

Aug 5, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 114
HD I suspect

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #6 of 114
I own the tracks and took a listen to the HD version. In all honesty, I felt that the HD version- while it DID clear up the mids a little- wasn't that big of an upgrade for the additional money. I feel that the main difference between the two version is aesthetic. I will be getting a Fiio E11 amp in the mail in a week or so- I'll see if that'll make the standard version of the Tracks have a better midrange. 

However, I haven't tried SOL Republic's new Tracks Ultra yet. Maybe you'll want to go for that instead. 

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 114
Regardless, the SOL Tracks are a good buy for a basshead. I did notice some recessed mids, but its not a dealbreaker considering the amazing bass. Speaking of which- you haven't told us what kind of music you listen to or what you like in a headphone. Perhaps we could suggest some alternatives as well. It would also help to know your budget.

Some other headphones in the same price range that are great are the Grado SR80i, Koss Pro DJ100, Koss PortaPros, Shure SRH 440, and perhaps you would like to upgrade your sennheisers to the HD 448s.

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #10 of 114
You wouldn't happen to have an amp, would you? There's always the tried and true combination of the Audio-Technica ATH M50s with an amp for a bass boost when needed. 

Would you be listening in a noisy environment? Then the open design of the Grados wouldn't work out for you. More details are needed! 
wink_face.gif

The SOL tracks are great for bass! But they are most certainly not good all around. I bought the tracks because I love the customization possible with them, and of course, how sexy they look. If you can deal with the recessed mid, then go for it! But if you are truly looking for an all around authentic sound, any of the other headphones will provide that much better than the tracks will, albeit without the amazing bass. 

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #11 of 114
Quote:
Regardless, the SOL Tracks are a good buy for a basshead. I did notice some recessed mids, but its not a dealbreaker considering the amazing bass. Speaking of which- you haven't told us what kind of music you listen to or what you like in a headphone. Perhaps we could suggest some alternatives as well. It would also help to know your budget.

Some other headphones in the same price range that are great are the Grado SR80i, Koss Pro DJ100, Koss PortaPros, Shure SRH 440, and perhaps you would like to upgrade your sennheisers to the HD 448s.

Quote:
HD I suspect

I'm stuck between the HD's and the M50's

Thay have good prices up on Amazon now

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #13 of 114
Fair enough, and better because I can buy them in-store rather than waiting on the M50's. Thanks! How about the V-Moda Crossfades LP? Someone just told me about them, but they seem less durable, but have more in package than the SOL's

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #14 of 114
I have never tried the V-Moda Crossfades. I have heard some good reviews, but I cannot give you any advice seeing as I have no personal experience with them. 

As for durability, the SOLs are about as durable as you can get. I'd assume both sets of cans have the V shaped signature. Your best bet is finding someone on the forums who've listened to both headphones. If the crossfades have the amazing bass the SOLs have along with good mids, then I'd probably look into getting a set! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #15 of 114
I'd have to recommend just going with the M50.

The Crossfade LPs have out-of-phase and very loose-sounding bass, and a lot of it, which makes matters worse. The treble is also very artificial sounding; sort of plasticky. If you want to get a paur of V-Modas you'd be much better off with the M-80. The SOLs have better bass than the Crossfade LPs, but virtually no treble to speak of, and the mid-treble transition is really rough. They sound very slow and mushy. Quite frankly, I don't find them very good-looking either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back