SOHA What tubes have you tried?
Feb 7, 2008 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Wid

500+ Head-Fier
I am interested in what tubes those with the SOHA amp have tried? I run a SOHA with JISBOS buffers, thanks Michael, with a set of Grado 325is. I really do like the combo so far and am looking to improve over the Chinese tube that came with the amp. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Feb 8, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 17
  1. New JJ ECC82 - Strong bass, nice detail, sounds very warm.
  2. New ElectroHarmonix 12AU7 - Fast, energetic, very detailed, the least "tube-like" sound.
  3. NOS GE 6680 - Great detail, probably best highs out of the tubes, more neutral, sounds fun
    smily_headphones1.gif
  4. NOS GE 5963 - Probably most neutral and easiest listening tube there is and CHEAP! Highly recommended.

Feb 8, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 17
Try some 5814A's. This tube is around $5-6 and they sound as good as any of the 12au7's, in most cases.

RCA 5814 .... richer and fuller with a nice relaxed presentation.

Hytron or Raytheon 2 mics D getter 5814's .... clean, fast and quick with a nice airiness and neutrality.

Feb 10, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 17
AMC 6680 - Took a bit to break in, but wow. Full powerful bass. I would reccomend. My favorite.

New JJ gold pin 12AU7 - Meh, boring.

CONN GE Clear Top 12AU7A - Currently in my soha, amazing for anything acoustic. full bass. Lots of power.

RCA Common 5814A black plates - Punchy bass, beautiful smooth highs, but super microphonic, no tapping your amp to the tunes!

5963 something russian I think - Flat in a good way. reference sounding quality.

Feb 10, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsakenrider /img/forum/go_quote.gif

RCA Common 5814A black plates - Punchy bass, beautiful smooth highs, but super microphonic, no tapping your amp to the tunes!

Any tube can be microphonic. I have used 4-5 of these and never had the slightest problem with microphonics. In fact, I have a pair in a modded Doge 6210 right now and the tubes are dead quiet. You simply have a microphonic tube.
wink.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any tube can be microphonic. I have used 4-5 of these and never had the slightest problem with microphonics. In fact, I have a pair in a modded Doge 6210 right now and the tubes are dead quiet. You simply have a microphonic tube.
wink.gif

The person I got it from had a few, all of them said to be microphonic.
Im sure some tubes are more prone to microphonics then others. Ive never heard of a new JJ being microphonic.

Feb 11, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 17
couple tubes I tried with my soha to hd580/600:

Mullard 4003 - forcefull sound, puncy pronounced bass, little edgey

CBS 5814 black plates- ultra warm, very thick, too much.

GE 60's triple mica 5814 - airly, nice balance

RCA 5814 gray plates- note has nice weight, warmer the GE 5814, nice intimate
presentation, almost sounds like ur in a open cave.

Amprex 7316 - awesome mids, best with horns and strings, good separation,
distant and yet close. I loved this before I zapped my zhaolu.

Telefunken 12au7 smooth plate - great sound stage, nice air to the highs,
also loved this before I zapped my zhaolu.

Siemens E82CC - my favorite since zapping my zhaolu. Has depth, sounds
bounces around nicely, very musical, the sweetest mids
guitar notes sounds like strawberries. Sharp details,
Very rich. Before zapping my source, this tube was just
ordinary compared to amprex and telefunken.

Others dont get much tube time at the moment,
just love the siemens too much.

Brimar 13d5 - warm, almost like 627 opamp
Mullard long / short plates
Slyvania 5814
RCA cleartops - blah
ElectroHarmonix 12AU7 - blah
couple unknowns

Other findings:
Resister value makes big difference. Even with high impedence phones. For example in my setup Siemens best with 56ohm, Telefunk/Amprex 150ohm.
After zapping zhaolu the telefunken and amprex lost some of the magic
frown.gif

Playing around with resistors to try to find the lost magic. So far got a fair compromise between the 3 tubes, having 33ohm on zhzulo output and 33ohm soha output.

Been trying to find 6680 any have 1 for sale?

Feb 11, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #11 of 17
I don't have this particular amp, but I am pretty familar with 12au7 tubes in general, not in a headphone setting, but in a high end speaker set-up.

May I make just one suggestion?

The French tube, Radiotechnique is definitely worth a go. My father picked up a pair from Kevin at UpScale for his pre-amp, and man these babys about knocked us stupid. Fat, solid bass and a midrange response that rose every hair on my body.

My father picked up the more expensive '56 tubes, but Kevin also has some 1965's that are supposed to be what he calls, "the french cousin of the bugle boy". Haven't heard them, but the price is right.

Just thought I'd share. Thanks.

-Tom

Feb 12, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #14 of 17
I got my first tube to try out, a JJ/Tesla gold pin, the dog gone thing makes the right channel go weak. I put the Chinese tube back in everything is great. They are at least going to replace it but what a bummer.

Feb 12, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #15 of 17
Is that a new production JJ? If so, and it's for the 12ax7 spot, I recommend the ECC83s over the ECC803s. Just a difference in plate design, but personally, I find the ECC83s much more rich in tone. Of course, that's just my personal opinion and taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back