SOHA vs Millet (Build ease, cost, SQ etc)
May 31, 2008 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

m0b1liz3

100+ Head-Fier
I did a search on comparing the Millet vs the SOHA. It sounds like each has had some modifications and revisions. Alot of threads get answered by individuals who have built one or the other. I would love to hear from people who have built both and which one they recommend.

Which can be built the cheapest and with the most ease? Which sounds better? Which is best in it's current format. (ie. SOHA with Jisbos vs Millet MAX).

Which amp would serve well as a pre-amp in a home stereo?

May 31, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 54
There is only one board with the Millett MAX - linear-regulated high-current power supply with 4000uf capacitance, BJT or MOSFET diamond buffers with full-size extruded heat sink footprints for the output transistors, and a relay-delay circuit to protect headphones from turn-on/off spikes. All of these are on the single Millett MAX board. Simply populate it, add connections for RCA jacks and connect a 24VAC walwart and you're finished.

The only required wiring are three leads from the RCA jacks, two for the 24VAC power socket (2.1mm coax), and two wires for an on/off switch if desired. The MAX website also demonstrates an easy way to add tip jacks for convience in adjusting bias once the case is put together. The board is designed to fit exactly in the slots of a Hammond 1455T1601.

I am biased, of course, but I don't think you'll find another DIY design with as many components integrated into a single board. I'll leave the other comparisons for others. You can read the largest-ever-HeadFi-DIY-thread (the Millett MAX thread) or the MAX website for futher details.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 1, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #3 of 54
I am almost done with my first MAX. It was a pleasure to build (Just have some casing left), and not expensive at all. I dont know how much experience you have, but this was my first amp build. The MAX is pretty bulletproof in design, plus the website makes it so easy a caveman could do it (haha). I have not built a SOHA however so I cannot compare. Just wanted to let you know how much the MAX was a pleasure to build...

Jun 2, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #4 of 54
The SOHA+Jisbos sounds a little better than the Max (same output transistors.) It is more transperant. But and this is a big BUT, the SOHA+Jisbos build is the most tedious convoluted build I have ever had. The SOHA PCB just wasn't well thought out.
There is basically Zero support if you run into trouble.

The Max is highly supported and is a much easier build. The SQ difference is slight enough that I would recommend the Max over the SOHA+Jisbos.

If you have a background in electronics, the Bijou blows them both out of the water with phones over 300 ohms.. Its also an easier build, but you have to know how to deal with high DC Voltages.

If you are wanting low voltage there is a new one coming from Runelight with a better discrete buffer that would be worth waiting on. But really after you build the Max and see how good it is you will build all the new designs that come out.

Jun 2, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 54
there is support on headwize for the soha. but i agree, soha plus jisbos plus e12 is tedious!

Jun 2, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...There is basically Zero support if you run into trouble.

the history behind this is known to most , it was very unfortunate and hopefully will not be encountered again in these forums. TomB has been a great service advising new builders and helping troubleshoot their problems and I am sure I am not the only one who has been grateful for his presence on these forums. [ eventhough he has been called to the "darkside"
wink.gif
]

and yes, a better replacement is in the works and it will be supported. By better, it is not merely adding a jisbos circuit to the existing format but involved redesigning the entire amp to address a few of the issues encountered ( CCS , biasing etc ) while maintaining the simplicity and obviously trying to get the best performance out of the tubes at a safe voltage. runeight will tell us more when he is happy that the amp performs as designed..dB

Jun 2, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 54
Uh-oh - I'll have to tell Colin, Pete, and Doug that you've called them the Darkside.
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Seriously, those are very kind remarks!
smily_headphones1.gif
I only tried to help out to make up for my initial ignorance regarding the matters that went on.
redface.gif
Some of my own independent checking turned up evidence that pirated-Runeight-design-copying ran into numbers much greater than most realize.

As a matter of fact, we had several entreaties during the Millett MAX development from individuals wanting to produce boards independently on that side of the world. We said "No", of course, but who knows what really goes on?

In any event, the SOHA was/is great fun to build and no amp beats it on the basis of tube-rolling, IMHO. What else is more ubiquitous than a 12AU7 and its variants?

Jun 2, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #8 of 54
well I am looking for my first DIY project (just bought the solder iron, so never done any electronics DIY before) and was thinking about a Millet Max but have heard good things about the CKK3, would appreciate any views on which one to do, please remember that I will probably need lots of hand holding in the build so it is better if the project has lots of online support (though I plan to buy a kit instead of individually buying all the components).

Jun 2, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #9 of 54
do a cmoy first. Much cheaper to learn ona cmoy than mess up expensive kits.

Jun 2, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #11 of 54
another alternative is to buy a novalty electronics kit (not audio) from maplins. Just buy one with a lot of parts. Soldering is the first skill to learn. Then try desoldering, thats the real trick to diy.

Jun 2, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #12 of 54
The novalty kits are good but I was hoping to build something I could use, which is why i thought of an amp though the alien DAC is pretty cheap as a kit. The only other issue is that I needed to find leaded solder as maplins only sell lead-free solder.

Jun 2, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #13 of 54
Although I highly recommend the GlassJarAudio kits, I also think that as a novice builder, it is very important to source parts yourself. You'll learn which parts you need and why. It very important to understand what you're doing instead of simply soldering components on a PCB, otherwise, if something goes wrong (and it almost always does on a first build), you won't be completely lost. Start with a CMOY, learn to read the schematic and layout, pick your parts and spend some time on it. You'll learn enough to know what's going on in the other amps.

Jun 4, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #14 of 54
Hopefully, with the SOHA II, you guys will be able to dispense with the overly complicated SOHA+JISBOS. The board was a disaster from the beginning and derailed a really nice amp into the corner.

The SOHA II will be a straightforward build like the MM, will fit into a nice hammond enclosure with room for an alien dac. It will allow more tube rolling than the current SOHA does. And it will have a nice O/P buffer built into it.

We're just waiting on dBel84's prototype to prove out the design and sound quality. Then things will start to move.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #15 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hopefully, with the SOHA II, you guys will be able to dispense with the overly complicated SOHA+JISBOS. The board was a disaster from the beginning and derailed a really nice amp into the corner.

The SOHA II will be a straightforward build like the MM, will fit into a nice hammond enclosure with room for an alien dac. It will allow more tube rolling than the current SOHA does. And it will have a nice O/P buffer built into it.

We're just waiting on dBel84's prototype to prove out the design and sound quality. Then things will start to move.
smily_headphones1.gif

Damn Alex, just when I finally get my SOHA shipped across the continent, build it maxed-out in a wooden box with a stepped attenuator and a JISBOS output stage, you come up with another version of it, sheesh!
tongue.gif
Now I gotta build that one too! Can't wait to see the design up on your site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back