SOHA II - Super SE Hybrid
Oct 19, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #616 of 707
Success! I am playing it through some tossable phones for a few hours before I hook up the hd600, since my test hd650 are at Burning Amp... I think...

Now, remember, this is a build for some soldiers - Generation Kill, a Marine unit in particular. Gotta make sure the bodies will hit the floor, so I'll run through some Drowning Pool later.

Pimp the ride (and, yes, you can take the tubes out), but the FPE delivery should be Wednesday:

soha2.jpg

Big shout out to Wiatrob and Holland for getting me over several humps. And, to runeight for an outstanding design. I have proven that if I can do this, darn it, anyone can... so, please, I appreciate the rep, but I cannot build units for others.

Oh, and if Bijou don't rock (while I do own 'Take 5', don't listen to that much), guess what will be balanced next? But, that is a LONG time from now.

Oct 20, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #617 of 707
I've just placed my order for the parts on Mouser, now waiting for them to arrive and some time to actually build this thing. I'm going to put in a crossfeed filter (with genuine bypass) while I'm at it. =)

Oct 20, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #618 of 707
Yeah!!!
beerchug.gif

Pabbi1, my apologies for my densenes in the few previous exchanges.

I think that's a pretty cool build. Kind of reminds me of some of the toughbook technology that we worked with when we were doing video game training SW for the guys at Ft. Hood.

Let us know when you listen through the Senns.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #619 of 707
Couldn't wait - right out of the chute, it drives the hd600 very well - my normal listening levels on my 'office rig' are several notches above where the SOHA is. There is absolute command on the bottom end, and really good resolution straight out of a cheap DVD player (too lazy to unplug the Electrostats from the Azure), and my only other DAC is buried in the Balanced Millett Hybird. Maybe later in the week I'll give it a whirl on the Azure with really good interconnects and a decent power cord (yeah, I doubt you are a believer)... pity, I only have a stock 650 Senn cable in SE.

Going to leave for others to compare and comment next weekend - makes me realize next weekend in Houston will be fun, especially of the Bijou makes it in.

Sounds really good, given an hour of burn. No microphonics on these 5963, but I have tube dampers if it comes to that. Curse the ability to roll so many tubes in this thing...

Just outstanding design work - it really sounds sweet - well, for single ended...
tongue.gif

Thank you, Alex. We never say that enough to you guys.

Oct 20, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #620 of 707
That's awesome, pabbi1.

It's a great amp, and definitely well worth the money and time spent. It definitely has impressed me, particularly in the price range. I have to admit, I did not keep track of costs for this one, so I don't really know where it ended up.

(don't forget to roll some output transistors too)
smily_headphones1.gif

I would love to hear some impressions with other hybrids, from the meet. Do post some impressions when it happens.

Which 5963 are you using?

I only have a stock 650 cable on my 650, and I think it sounds great as it is.

Oct 20, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #621 of 707
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Couldn't wait - right out of the chute, it drives the hd600 very well - my normal listening levels on my 'office rig' are several notches above where the SOHA is. There is absolute command on the bottom end, and really good resolution straight out of a cheap DVD player (too lazy to unplug the Electrostats from the Azure), and my only other DAC is buried in the Balanced Millett Hybird. Maybe later in the week I'll give it a whirl on the Azure with really good interconnects and a decent power cord (yeah, I doubt you are a believer)... pity, I only have a stock 650 Senn cable in SE.

Going to leave for others to compare and comment next weekend - makes me realize next weekend in Houston will be fun, especially of the Bijou makes it in.

Sounds really good, given an hour of burn. No microphonics on these 5963, but I have tube dampers if it comes to that. Curse the ability to roll so many tubes in this thing...

Just outstanding design work - it really sounds sweet - well, for single ended...
tongue.gif

Thank you, Alex. We never say that enough to you guys.

Say, Pabbi1, I see that the Houston meet is closed. What does that mean exactly? There is no hotel space left?
smily_headphones1.gif
Or there is just no more room in the room?

Oct 20, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #622 of 707
Well, it is in a limited space, but we have reserved a few spots for 'honored guests', and we would be honored if you could attend - even if for a limited time. :)

Might have to send out a rescue party for Ron...
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #623 of 707
Congrats, and welcome to the club!
beerchug.gif
Just wait till you hear it after some burn-in (tubes plus passives).

Although - it looks like you've had it built all the while and were testing the proto team on experience.
wink.gif

runeight - no worries for context switches- we know you also have umpteen other current and future designsin the works!

Who's next?
atsmile.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #625 of 707
Well, it really is not my taste in design, but since it was for the Jar Head(s), it had to go somewhat that way. I love Ferrari's work, which looks inspired by the Woo GES (which I happen to have on loan for a few days). One day, iIwill aspire for the form to be at least as nice as the substance - but that day is not here yet.

Again, thanks for everyone who helped - the kits should prove VERY successful

Oct 21, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #627 of 707
Hi,

I am new member of this forum. I am interested in SOHA II, and I woluld like to buy kit to assembly this amplifier (all elements, pcb boards but without transformer and enclosure). Could You help me?

Marek

Oct 21, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #628 of 707
Hi Marek. Happy to see that you are interested in this amp.

You can get kits from Glass Jar Audio : Home. Please contact Jeff Rossel there. There are a few kits left from the first small production run.

We are also preparing a large group buy to be announced soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #629 of 707
Just for grins, what trafo spec would be needed to run 2 boards at the default config?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back