SOHA II - Super SE Hybrid
Jun 17, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #31 of 707
+1, I'd never buy boards not permitted by the original designer.
I don't want to open up a can of worms, but the sort of tension with the first SOHA... does it have anything to do with this?

Jun 17, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #32 of 707
Official boards all the way!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #33 of 707
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1, I'd never buy boards not permitted by the original designer.
I don't want to open up a can of worms, but the sort of tension with the first SOHA... does it have anything to do with this?

No probs JamesL. Yes it is a direct consequence of what happened to the SOHA. Now I don't care much about that anymore. The SOHA is a popular amp and has provided lots of diyers plenty of hours of fun and a few of them an opportunity to provide add-ons for the amp. But I wonder how many of the SOHA's builders actually know who designed the amp? And whose idea it was in the first place?
wink.gif

The main thing that this history is doing right now is preventing me from telling you about the amp's design and showing you schematics.

But quite a few folks have signed up to prototype the amp and we'll go forward to make it available. It is a cool amp. Of the many I have designed, I like this one a lot. I'm hoping that it sounds really great too.

Jun 17, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #34 of 707
I'm looking forward to building a SOHA II using the official board once the design is finalized. Thanks for all of the work you guys put in for the DIY community. You should get your due recognition.

Jun 17, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #35 of 707
- will buy "official" boards but I will also buy the first run of boards which should be the "official" boards. Anyone seeking knowledge at headwize would know the designers.

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #36 of 707
If I were to build this (after somehow not liking the Bijou), it would be with official boards. Looks like Digi has bowed out - iff he is to be believed.

Crap, spoke too soon...Digi's response - what chutzpah.

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #37 of 707
I'm clueless with the controversy but I'd like to buy a couple boards when they're out
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #38 of 707
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I were to build this (after somehow not liking the Bijou), it would be with official boards. Looks like Digi has bowed out - iff he is to be believed.

Crap, spoke too soon...Digi's response - what chutzpah.

I don't like dragging up the unpleasant past..... but is there anywhere that would supply a nice little summarised history of the 'problems' with the SOHA?

From what I have gathered so far, the low quality of the boards Digi produced almost killed the project.......?

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #39 of 707
Quick version:

runeight designed a new hybrid amp called the SOHA, and had released the pre-release schematics to headwize for comments, so the design could be improved by community discussion.

digi went and made his own boards based on the pre-released schematics and started selling them to people - this was despite the fact that he was asked by numerous people NOT to do this.

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #40 of 707
This is a much more "all in one" solution than the original SOHA and I would be very interested in building one. Eagerly awaiting boards. <3

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #41 of 707
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like dragging up the unpleasant past..... but is there anywhere that would supply a nice little summarised history of the 'problems' with the SOHA?

From what I have gathered so far, the low quality of the boards Digi produced almost killed the project.......?

Our friend Digi01 has posted some comments on the headwize SOHA II thread.

The best thing for us to do is to move forward to prototyping this amp. It is better than the SOHA, it will have a better board, and better audio. It will allow you to tube roll different tube types which you cannot do with other popular hybrid amps.

I am going to contact each of you who has agreed to prototype the amp and we'll get started. I may even have to build one of these myself. In fact, I've already bought the enclosure and a few other parts just to test the fit in the box.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #42 of 707
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best thing for us to do is to move forward to prototyping this amp. It is better than the SOHA, it will have a better board, and better audio. It will allow you to tube roll different tube types which you cannot do with other popular hybrid amps.

Check!
biggrin.gif

I'm looking forward to final versions, complete with hand-holding commentary. I don't nearly have the experience to be involved with prototyping just yet.....

Jun 17, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #43 of 707
I should probably finish my Stacker II before asking to prototype this amp . . . .

maybe I'll do that tomorrow.

Jun 17, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #45 of 707
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should probably finish my Stacker II before asking to prototype this amp . . . . maybe I'll do that tomorrow.

we all wait diligently :wink:

@ m0b1liz3 very good question , perhaps ericj would have a better handle on this >:-D
wink.gif
..dB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back