SOHA II Builders Thread
Apr 11, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #827 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mean TPL and TPR measured with respect to ground? Or measured with respect to the B+?

With respect to TB+L/R.

Chris

Apr 11, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #828 of 1,694
OK. At least everything is working properly.

These voltages are abnormally far apart because the two tubes that you happen tohave are mismatched in totally different directions. They are acceptable voltages, but it would be better find two tubes that gave you closer to the 19V design point.

Apr 11, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #829 of 1,694
Alex, Thanks for your diagnosis. I checked the first plate of the tubes (Pin 1) and there are the expected 19 Volts. So it's really only that my tubes are mismatched. I have four of them so I will try the others and stick with the best ones.

Seems I have "luck" with mismatched parts. The 7815 in this SOHA_II delivers 14,8 V, the 7915 -15,3 V.

Chris

Apr 12, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #830 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This setup is ok but it offers more opportunties for noise and hum since the amp won't be grounded to a nice big piece of metal.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks Alex, i took apart an old cd drive casing for use as my bottom ground plate
tongue.gif

Quite happy with the casework so far but I'm having trouble deciding which wood stain to use (cherry vs. red mahogany)...
thinking-011.gif

zksohadryfit1.jpg

zksohadryfit2.jpg

zksohadryfit3.jpg

Apr 13, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #833 of 1,694
Thanks onform. The wood case and the top/bottom "lids" must've took about ~8-10 hours to build and finished sanding. Tube holes still need to be cut and still waiting for a few mouser parts (jacks, switch).

I dread the staining part, I'd be really disappointed to screw this up at this point.

Apr 13, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #836 of 1,694
Very nice zkool448, really creative with wood.
cool.gif

I’m also busy with the casework for my balanced SOHA II, but no wood from this side of the ocean.
It’s a 2 boxes solution…. the amp is feeding by 2 oversized transformers, 80VA each.
smily_headphones1.gif

Afbeelding623.jpg

Afbeelding622.jpg

Afbeelding609.jpg

Apr 13, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #837 of 1,694
I spy an e24.

looks really good ferrari, i shudder at the cost! Schaeffer isnt cheap these days.

have you got any idea of what tubes you are going to use in it?

Apr 13, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #838 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by zkool448 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Added above some pics of dry fit..

Really Beautiful.
smily_headphones1.gif

But I would be a bit concerned about ventilation. I finished my SOHA_II this week and still without any enclosure the heatsink temperature reaches 60 °C (with a few mA below the recommended bias of 100 mA), R3P yet reaches a few degrees more. And now it's spring not summer. Therefore I already changed my enclosure plans and sure will follow Alex' recommendation of a more than 50% open top plate. If I knew before I sure would have bought higher heatsinks (1.5") and accepted a resulting higher enclosure.

Chris

Apr 13, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #839 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice zkool448, really creative with wood.
cool.gif

I’m also busy with the casework for my balanced SOHA II, but no wood from this side of the ocean.

It's sloooowly taking shape! Nice to see..

I should post some pics of my latest 'II - it's in the case phase but ZK's wood and your metal work makes me a bit embarrassed to show mine.

Darn DIY'rs continually raising the bar...mumble mumble...
wink_face.gif

Apr 13, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #840 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spy an e24.

looks really good ferrari, i shudder at the cost! Schaeffer isnt cheap these days.

have you got any idea of what tubes you are going to use in it?

Yes, the ε24 circuit is on board.

Since the heater power supply circuit on my amp is modified a bit: based on LM338 (instead of LM337), feeding by an 80VA transformer separately, I’m thinking of trying some current hungry tubes like 6N1P, 6N6P and 6N30P...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back