SOHA II Builders Thread
Apr 13, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #841 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's sloooowly taking shape! Nice to see..

I should post some pics of my latest 'II - it's in the case phase but ZK's wood and your metal work makes me a bit embarrassed to show mine.

Darn DIY'rs continually raising the bar...mumble mumble...
wink_face.gif

Yes, you are right. It takes quite long time with my build, make me thinking of the casework for my Bijou last year: it takes about 10 months or so after the amp was up and running, playing music for the first time.
redface.gif

BTW, don’t hesitate to show-off your work. It’s about the fun you have with DIY and enjoying the music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #843 of 1,694
Ferrari, I know that you do this superb casing on everything that you do, but I do want to say how much I appreciate that you think enough of my amps to put them into these stunning enclosures.

I still want to know if you'll design product enclosures for me.
icon10.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #845 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ferrari, I know that you do this superb casing on everything that you do, but I do want to say how much I appreciate that you think enough of my amps to put them into these stunning enclosures.

I still want to know if you'll design product enclosures for me.
icon10.gif

I like where this is going. By the way Alex, what particular products did you have in mind
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #846 of 1,694
Thanks guys...

Ferrari, glad I don't do aluminum casing since I too would be reluctant to post pictures in here
smily_headphones1.gif
Your casework always look amazing.

With each case I do, the more satisfaction I have from my woodworking. It always amazes me that one can start with an ugly pile of rough lumber and turn it into 'something' with enough tools, time, and very little imagination.

Applying finish to the wood, on the other hand never ceases to frustrate me. After testing on a couple of scrap wood several times, I still hold the brush and can't bring myself to apply it to the case in fear that I will srew it up. (smeggy, how about some tips
wink.gif
)

ChrisX, I thought about cooling, I have the same concern and thinking about increasing the size of the top slots/vents. Also, I still have to cut the tube holes which I'll probably oversize the diameter for added ventilation.

Apr 14, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #847 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like where this is going. By the way Alex, what particular products did you have in mind
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

You can probably guess.
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #848 of 1,694
Don't look at me, I get all my finishing tips from others
biggrin.gif

I went to Lowes and got some Deft(?) spray on sanding sealer and satin, semi-gloss and gloss lacquer. Works pretty nicely and a quick buff with a soft duster when it's dry seems to be very nice.

Dries very quickly, doesn't need sanding between coats (I just wire wool it) and builds up nicely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can probably guess.
wink.gif

I hate you both!

Apr 14, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #849 of 1,694
smeggy, thanks for the tip
smile.gif

I've used deft before when they were avaialble in Canada, but every stores took them off their shelves for environmental hazard reasons (nitrocellulose lacquer)
frown.gif

Apr 16, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #852 of 1,694
I wanted to let folks know that my SOHA II is up, running and sounds great. I purchased it in kit form (with 5963 tubes) from Jeff at GlassJar and have nothing but good things to say about his service and communication.

The soldering time was about four hours (spread out over several days as I found the time to spare) and the case time was about double that. I'm using it to drive my eighteen year old (!) Sennheiser HD530 headphones. There was some audible hiss when I first powered it up but it was gone the second time, and hasn't returned.

Question time:
Periodically, the epsilon 12 circuit will cut off the output. I am unable to find anything firm to correlate this. It doesn't seem to be related to the music being played or the volume. While it doesn't seem to be heat related, I've haven't experienced the cutout in the first fifteen minutes after powering it up.
Can anyone suggest where I might look for the cause or correction to this behavior?

John Thurston
Juneau, Alaska

Apr 17, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #853 of 1,694
Congrats and welcome! The only time I have experienced nuisance trips with my production board 'II was when my power was waaaay out of spec - the HV supply was designed to prevent most all of these trips. Do you have anything else on the power circuit with the amp that might be producing surges or nooise on the line?

Apr 17, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #854 of 1,694
Ferrari;5604442 BTW said:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/images/smilies/smily_headphones1.gif[/img]

Thanks for the encouragement. As soon as I get the front panels drilled right, I'll post some pics (Layed out backwards - DOH!
wink_face.gif
)

Apr 18, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #855 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the encouragement. As soon as I get the front panels drilled right, I'll post some pics (Layed out backwards - DOH!
wink_face.gif
)

wiatrob, looking forward to seeing your build -- post it!
smile.gif

I really miss listening to my SOHA II since it's been apart during the casework process. I'm almost done with it though, I just need to rewire everything back. Hopefully by tomorrow the paint on the top panel will be dry.

Here's a sneak peak at how the casing is going so far. I'll post here a link to the builders gallery hopefully by tomorrow
wink_face.gif

zksoha11stained1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back