SOHA II Builders Thread
Apr 18, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #857 of 1,694
*jawdrop* That is really beautiful!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #858 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by zkool448 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a sneak peak at how the casing is going so far. I'll post here a link to the builders gallery hopefully by tomorrow

Wow, the stain turned out nicely. Have you used any varnish or similar over the top to get that shine?

Also were did you get the tube socket extensions and case feet from?

Apr 18, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #859 of 1,694
How much current can I draw from the power supply?

I want to put in the same case the soha, a sigma 1 (the lite version, usb powered), and a twisted pear Darwin selector. According to tpa site, the Darwin needs a 5 V, 60 mA source, and I was planning to take it from one of the leds in the ps section.

I guess that using the default 1A transformer is ok, but I think is a good idea to ask, since I still haven't bought a transformer and I can get a bigger one (1,67 A) if needed.

Thanks!!!!: dt880smile:

Apr 18, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #861 of 1,694
You can do this but remember that the LEDs come from the heater supply and are negative with respect to ground.

You can pull from the +15V supply but the reg will burn 50% more power when you do. You might want a bigger heatsink.

Apr 19, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #862 of 1,694
Thank you guys. I finally got my SOHA II cased up after several hours of labor (splinters, cuts, and oh let's not forget agony and tears).

@ Forte, the tube socket extensions (or socket savers, credit to adamus) were ordered through ebay, as for the case feet, well they're not really case feet but more like chair feet sliders
beyersmile.png

Please take a look at the builders gallery thread if you'd like to see more pictures of my build.

Thanks!

Apr 19, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #864 of 1,694
mate, that really does go into my hall of fame for DIY. thats a really special and unique build.

the socket savers work well dont they - I cant hear any negative effects from the slightly elongated signal paths.

Apr 19, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #870 of 1,694
Wow that turned out really nicely zk.
beerchug.gif

When I saw the lid in the early pics, I had been thinking of it in wood tones in my head, so when I saw you painted it silver it took me by surprise. It really ties the whole thing together with the volume knob and the Nuetrik jack. That's quite a photo with the other two amps sitting in the back.

So does the lid just sit on the wooden frame, using the four silver things (don't know what to call them???) as centering devices?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back