Software based RIAA EQ - part 2
Sep 12, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #31 of 68
I tested this Max/MSP implementation using E-MU 0404 USB and had no issues @ 96kHz. Have you tried by increasing ASIO latency buffer (try 10ms or more (441 or more as samples))? You can call the ASIO control panel through DSP settings ... Audio Driver Setup -button there on DSP Status screen).
Another possible culprit could be the type of USB port you're using ... as USB 2.0 is needed for higher 'resolution'.

I have now tried @ three different computers, they react similar. When I choose a filter sample rate higher than 88200 it gives a nasty noise, and I cannot continue. I can choose a higher driver sr, but isn't it right that they should be the same? It is usb 2.0, I have also tried to shift the cable. I have updated the asiodrivers and firmware from the e-mu website, but do you have other ideas?

I have played with almost every setting, but with the same result. BTW - I am very happy with the quality of the sound already, it is amazing.

Sep 12, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #32 of 68
OK. I found the culprit for issue with 96kHz mode. Thanks for pointing this out. It was only on this newer Max 5 implementation.

<links deleted by me, software was replaced with a new version>

jiitee

Sep 15, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #34 of 68
Hi!

I updated the version to v.1.6 BETA (I make only betas until v. 2.0)). !! NEWER VERSION AVAILABL

Basically, it's 'bout the same as v. 1.5.2 ... just added ability to stream from file source (WAV, SND, AIFF). Basic open..play..stop functionality ... no play lists (yet?).

Remember, it's to use only with files without RIAA EQ since the result is bad otherwise!

jiitee

Oct 14, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #36 of 68
Yes it is ... through a preset functionality.
I'll add this preset feature to the next release which, BTW, also has many improvements from v. 1.6 (no startup issues anymore, maybe a play-list for file sources (this is not stable yet).

jiitee

Nov 16, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #39 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by henrylar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Jiitee

Can you tell anything about when we can expect next release?

Hi!

I've been busy all autumn ... so, I think it's in couple of weeks (maybe in the end of this month). Dunno yet if I'll get everything done what has been promised so far ... the preset system shall be there and the functionality on startup (reset) is going to be better. I'm also sketching a better outlook for the software but, it's not there yet in next release.

jiitee

Nov 30, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #40 of 68
Hi!

OK, here's the new version (1.8a) for Max/MSP 5.x Runtime. Another link is attached in #1 post of this thread.

Info:

18atb4.jpg

The new Subsonic filter is improved a bit from the previous one but, not totally finished yet.

subsonoffsi1.jpg

jiitee

EDIT: Tere's a new RIAA preset for ddfm:IIEQ 1.12 @ 96kHz attached in this post.

Jul 16, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #43 of 68
Quote:

The IIEQ/SmallEQ VST preset for RIAA EQ is adjusted visually (by the results got from a filter build using Orbans coefficients) on VST Plugin Analyzer ... so it's basically as accurate as you be able to zoom the graph to get the curve fitted/data resolution (Hz, Q, Gain) on IIEQ/SmallEQ. It's possible to export the plot result from "VST Plug-in Analyzer" (my graphs were made w/ it) but, as it's not accurate plot (only 4096 points). I did compare the results between a Delphi implementation of VST filter prepared using Orbans coefficients and IIEQ/SmallEQ version @ 44.1kHz ... error: avg. under ±0.05dB (0Hz- ~ 18.2kHz) and from ±0.1dB to -1.6dB (~18.2kHz - 20kHz) @ 44.1kHz). I think you need to prepare an unique preset for each sample-rate as well.

I was wondering what accuracy is of the newer 96kHz VST plugin for IIEQ? The comparision here (http://jiiteepee.fortunecity.com/ria...m_44_1kHz.html) shows at 44kHz.

Is the MAX implementation more accurate?

Quote:

and from ±0.1dB to -1.6dB

This seems to be a bit excessive, and would result in the high end being rolled off?

Maybe the 96kHz IIEQ you posted perfroms better?

Quote:

96kHz
Maximum error from 0.00 Hz to 20000.00 Hz = ~0.0057dB
Maximum phase error from 0.00 Hz to 20000.00 Hz = ~+/- 2.4 degrees

Can't we achieve this? I'm not clear why there is such a roll off (1.6db) when using the 44kHz filter, between 18-20kHz....

These three "budget" stages all list a more uniform error across 20hz-20khz. This implementatoin is GREAT from 20hz-18kHz with .05db, but we need to fix this -1.6db slump between 18-20kHz.
thanks!
DC

Jul 17, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #44 of 68
Seems like the link to 1.8 is down.

If the MAX/MSP is much more accurate than the VST, I'd like to try to push the MAX output to an ASIO out which could be routed back to something like Samplitude for simlutaneous "wet" recording and monitoring, which is what I do with the possibl einferiro VST digital RIAA plugin for IIEQ.

DC

Jul 18, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #45 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorcilantro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like the link to 1.8 is down.

If the MAX/MSP is much more accurate than the VST, I'd like to try to push the MAX output to an ASIO out which could be routed back to something like Samplitude for simlutaneous "wet" recording and monitoring, which is what I do with the possibl einferiro VST digital RIAA plugin for IIEQ.

DC

I'll fix the link later this evening.

I do not know Samplitude nor PatchMix well so, I can't answer that ... Max/MSP is ASIO compatible so if E-MU PatchMix can handle needed routings then it's maybe possible. There sure are other methods as well (Virtual Audio Cable as for an example) you could use if E-MU software can't do routing internally.
Switching to Cockos Reaper might be the easiest way to go if you prefer to use sequencer/multitracking software for this task. Reaper handles WET recording as well.

jiitee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back