Software based RIAA EQ - part 2
Jul 18, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #46 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorcilantro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grad school has kept me busy, and I just got a new speed strobe which seems to work better than the KAB, much better. I need to credit you in the description.

YouTube - Digital RIAA MG1 tonearm, Samplitude 96kHz Grado Reference

beerchug.gif

jiitee

Jul 18, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #47 of 68
Quote:

I was wondering what accuracy is of the newer 96kHz VST plugin for IIEQ? The comparision here (http://jiiteepee.fortunecity.com/ria...m_44_1kHz.html) shows at 44kHz.

Is the MAX implementation more accurate?

This seems to be a bit excessive, and would result in the high end being rolled off?

Maybe the 96kHz IIEQ you posted perfroms better?

Can't we achieve this? I'm not clear why there is such a roll off (1.6db) when using the 44kHz filter, between 18-20kHz....

These three "budget" stages all list a more uniform error across 20hz-20khz. This implementatoin is GREAT from 20hz-18kHz with .05db, but we need to fix this -1.6db slump between 18-20kHz.
thanks!
DC

IIRC, IIEQ has a "LP -filter" (or couple in series) somewhere @ ~20-24kHz ... this is the reason for 'slump'. I suppose we can't do anything for it.

IIRC, IIEQ had some issues @ higher samplerates ... maybe they have fixed this already ... I need to check their updates later this summer when I have some spare time available.

MAX, Synthedit, etc. versions are "much" better and accurate than what a preset, made for an EQ VST (as lik for IIEQ I did) can be. I e-mailed you a 96kHz RIAA EQ .dll you can try (it's fully working).

jiitee

Jan 15, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #48 of 68
The 96kHz VST works like a charm.

Any chance we could see a 192kHz version?

Also, can I record at 64bit-float with the 96kHz VST?

Currently, I'm really enjoying this.

Equipment

Nitty Gritty RCM Mini-Pro
Bix Record Player
MG1 Airbearing Tonearm
Grado Reference (Statement .5mv)
AEA Big Ribbon (70db flat gain)
Black Lion Sparrow (ADC)
EMU 1616M (Transport)
Various solid core silver cables
Recording: Wavelab 6
NR: iZotope RX, Algorithmix, Wavelab, or ClickRepair
Dither: Ozone 4 Mbit+

Recording Chain

RCM ( #9 Stylus Cleaner>Zerodust) > TT (speed check w/ Digistrobe) > Grado Ref. Statement> AEA pre> Sparrow ADC (BNC) > 1616M (BNC) > Mini-ITX 80w PicoPSU 45wAMD > Wavelab 6 @ 32bit-float 96kHz

Monitoring (casual listening) is done in Samplitude or Sonar with real-time RIAA applied via VST (11% cpu load w/ EMU ASIO).

Comments

Post-processing workflow: manual click removal, Digital RIAA VST, dither to 24bit > individual FLAC files.
No silence has been removed.
More info on digital riaa implementation: http://www.channld.com/aes123.pdf

Jan 16, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #49 of 68
Quote:

The 96kHz VST works like a charm.

Any chance we could see a 192kHz version?

Also, can I record at 64bit-float with the 96kHz VST?

Currently, I'm really enjoying this.

Hi!

To get proper 192kHz filter is out of question ATM since, I don't have access to certain software anymore to calculate accurate coefficients ... so, the only way to go is that IIEQ EQ you used earlier ... I tried to adjust ~accurate curve using VST Analyzer and it looks like it's possible by little changing the 96kHz preset. When I have more time I can try to make it as accurate as I did manage to get those lower rate presets mentioned here and there.

VST version (build using SynthEdit), which one I sent you earlier, is 32-bit software (AFAIK, it won't work on 64-bit enviroments).
To record WAV as 64-bit float data ... you should be able to since, I tried this using Reaper and it was possible (I have 32-bit XP).

jiitee

Jan 16, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #50 of 68
Thanks mate.

So you are saying that we should be able to apply it to 64bit float files?

I can try later today in Wavelab 6.

Not so worried about the 192kHz but 64bit internal processing would very nice.

thanks again for the great work!
DC

May 20, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #53 of 68
You have no idea how happy I am right now.

I just finalized new tonearm wiring and I have a Mytek ADC 192 which I have never used but I bought in case you ever dropped a 192 filter.

HATS OFF!

Jul 14, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #55 of 68
Just wanted to say thank you for the riaa curves you've created. I've
been having problems with the curveeq presets and the vacuumsound riaa
plug just doesn't work. Both give a kind of "honky" sound that isn't
the fault of my new denon 160. I'm using the Morcky IIEQ with your
1.21 preset for it. Sounds "silky". I am running it at 192khz, and it
sounds great. Do i need to make some tweaks on that preset to get the
full benefit from the 192khz rate?

Just for reference here's my setup

Technics sl1200mk2 w/Denon 160 cartridge
M-Audio profire 2626 @ 192/24
Black Lion Audio micro clock mk2 (makes all the difference in the
world, believe me! Talk about capturing the 3d soundstage in a digital
realm.)
Universal Audio cambridge EQ for DC offset only
Morcky IIEQ w/your RIAA 1.21 preset

I render down to 96 with those plugs active, then load up izotope rx
to clean, resample, and dither to 44.1/16

I'm a classic rock fan, so the denon and technics are a great fit.

Thanks again!
Nick

Jul 14, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #56 of 68
Hi!
... and thank you.

When using Mocky preset @ 192kHz (or any other sample rate other than it's prepared for) might not give exact RIAA curve. At the time I prepared those presets, ddmf's EQ plug-ins could not keep the EQ curve when samplerate was chenged so every samplerate needed a preset of it's own. I have not checked later if the ddmf developer chenged the plug-in implementation.

Check the Messages -link (page header).

I have prepared "ready to compile" projects for SynthEdit to build RIAA plug-ins as VST implementation. Link to my RIAA pages is given least in my previous post. Making a VST plug-in using SynthEdit is quite easy task ... just load the project file, fill some information and finally save the project as VST plug-in.

jiitee

Aug 19, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #57 of 68
Finally got my system online. I started with the old 96kHz VST in Samplitude as I still had to tweak my Lynx mixer for 192 usage.

The gain is really high in the 192; I don't think it is set up for external hardware linear gain correctly.

My AEA TRP is set to about 60db and the 96kHz VST will change the digital VUs about 10DB when activating the plugin (puts up new record at about -10db post-digital RIAA).

The 192 when activated blasts my noisefloor from -70db to -40db. Obviously a needledrop, my standard 60-65db of gain needs to be reduced by 30db.

Aug 19, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #58 of 68

Quote:
Finally got my system online. I started with the old 96kHz VST in Samplitude as I still had to tweak my Lynx mixer for 192 usage.

The gain is really high in the 192; I don't think it is set up for external hardware linear gain correctly.

My AEA TRP is set to about 60db and the 96kHz VST will change the digital VUs about 10DB when activating the plugin (puts up new record at about -10db post-digital RIAA).

The 192 when activated blasts my noisefloor from -70db to -40db. Obviously a needledrop, my standard 60-65db of gain needs to be reduced by 30db.

Hi!

There are two versions of the 192kHz filter in SE projects bundle ... one named as riaa_se_192.se1 (riaa_se_192) with +24.35dB gain (this is what original filter coefficients produces and I included it because of it may help those who don't have additional flat pre-amp in signal path to get higher recording/playback level) and the other, named as riaa_se_192_1kHz@0dB.se1 (riaa_se_192m), which one I matched quite near 0dB @ 1kHz.

RIAA curve (+ 72dB/oct HP filter)

Harmonic distortion

jiitee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back