Soda or Pop?
Feb 21, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #17 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fizzy juice.

Not kidding.

Coke, Pepsi, Irn-Bru, Lemonade, Fanta, Kinnie, Ginger Beer, whatever soft carbonated beverage it is, thats "fizzy juice", exceptions would be things like Tonic Water of Soda Water (which is not Club Soda).

Juice would be [fresh] apple juice, orange juice, pineapple juice, tomato juice, etc.

Coke would be Coca-Cola. Or maybe Pepsi.

Pop doesn't really exist as a terminology in itself. The closest use I can think of is "Ice-Pop" which here is "Ice-Pole" anyway. Thats a stick of flavoured ice in a plastic wrapper.

Ribena, Robinsons et al, would be "diluting juice" or "squash", or, rarely, or for the upper classes or aspirationals "cordial" (unless it's lime flavoured, in which case it's always cordial).

The aforementioned tonic water and soda water, along with club soda, Canda Dry Ginger Ale and the like, would be regarded as a "mixer".

My favourite is, overall, tonic water. But out of soft drinks, it'd be Kinnie, out of soft drinks which are actually obtanium, it'd be Fanta I think.

ditto, fizzy juice here or would more likely just call the specific drink by its name but im not terribly big on fizzy stuff. tesco do do a rather nice cherry flvoured stuff "Tesco Premium Morello Cherry Crush"

however i mostly drink either Ribenna or Robinsons grape and melon hi-juice

if badly hung over then diet irn bru, cant drink the full fat stuff its just sooooo sweet.

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #24 of 61
There's a nice map of pop vs. soda vs. Coke usage in the US.
In general:
"Soda" in the Northeast, Southwest, the St. Louis region, and eastern Wisconsin.
"Pop" in the Northwest and most of the Midwest.
"Coke" in the South.

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #25 of 61
It's definitely "soda" for me. I call club soda or carbonated water "seltzer water".

My favorites include Diet Sunkist (my all-time favorite), Diet Coke, Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper, and the new Coca-Cola Cherry Zero, which I unfortunately haven't found in cans since about a year ago.

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #26 of 61
I use, soda,pop, or mostly call it by name whether Pepsi,Coca Cola, etc.

But Fizzy Juice sounds quite intriguing!
I think the next time i imbibe with friends, ill reference it to that name and see their reaction
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back