SoCal Meet (Fall/Winter 2004)
Aug 23, 2004 at 10:10 PM Post #16 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Really? I can't stand the BX8! You should really give Dean's NHTs a listen next time. The BX8 can't hold a candle. At the time I was auditioning all the studio monitors at my local GC, I threw out the m-audio line right away. The only 8" I really liked at the store at the time was the mackie 824. Nevertheless, if it gave you a taste of what good speakers are like...
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

I like to think my speakers are pretty good too, but maybe not so much for rock
tongue.gif

The BX8's are very configurable, and getting it just right isn't that easy. It's pretty likely they weren't set up very well at Guitar Center, I know they were way off at the GC we were at. When we got to my office and set them up they were a lot better and we still didn't have perfect placement. Anyway, there were some Mackies and Event monitors that we liked more but they were a lot more money.

Aug 23, 2004 at 10:21 PM Post #17 of 58
Yeah, the events were better too. You can get the original 20/20bas for around the same price as the bx8 if you bargain and cheaper if you go for the passive version. I think the mackies are definitely in a different league in terms of imaging and soundstage, the 624 rocked the house (maybe the best I've heard depthwise to this day) but the 624 has bass issues. The 824 was all around the best monitors I've heard at GC. The one I went to had a separate room setup just for monitors, and the basics were ok, as far as what they had to work with and everything. I didn't like the midrange of the m-audio's at all. Same with the Alesis and event tr-6.

Aug 23, 2004 at 10:43 PM Post #18 of 58
Quote:

Yeah, the events were better too. You can get the original 20/20bas for around the same price as the bx8 if you bargain and cheaper if you go for the passive version. I think the mackies are definitely in a different league in terms of imaging and soundstage, the 624 rocked the house (maybe the best I've heard depthwise to this day) but the 624 has bass issues. The 824 was all around the best monitors I've heard at GC. The one I went to had a separate room setup just for monitors, and the basics were ok, as far as what they had to work with and everything. I didn't like the midrange of the m-audio's at all. Same with the Alesis and event tr-6.

The 824 was definitely nice, though it was the Event ASP8 that really stuck out to me (not to mention the awesome piano black finish). Based on what I heard at GC, I'd rate them:

ASP8 >
20/20bas ~= HR824 >
BX8 >>
KRK V8 >>>
BX5 ~= KRK RP8

Aug 23, 2004 at 11:26 PM Post #19 of 58
Hmm Cool. I'd definitely rate the 824 over the 20/20bas. Both were acceptable but the 824 was cleaner and had better imaging IMO. I liked the KRK V8 a bit more than the BX8 but both were completely unsatisfactory to me so I didn't pay either one much attention
tongue.gif

Well I may as well throw in my impressions of the speakers I've had into the mix.

PSB Image 2b - these rank below the event tr5 as far as I'm concerned. Which I liked much better than the M-audio bx5, btw.

NHT A-10 - These I feel are really quite good. They sold for $1300 when they were in production. Imaging I would rank them behind the 624 and maybe on par with the 824. Bass wise, the NHT's are tight and clean. Definitely better than the 624, which isn't saying much, I suppose considering what I think of the 624's bass. It's good and tight, only lacking in strong first octave extension. It's tighter than any of the 8 inchers I heard at GC. It's perhaps lacking a bit of detail and air compared to Dean's NHT A-20's. These are really good speakers, it's really too bad no one is snapping them up.

MBOW1 - I would like to compare directly to something like Dean's A-20's but I can't. From what I recall, I think these speakers definitely compete. They might be better as far as I can recall. They really really sound good. Most of all, I'm hearing reverb that recording engineers used in their mastering process to cover up performance and recording imperfections and stuff like that that I never noticed before, or room reverb. I'm definitely hearing depth that I didn't have with my old systems. I don't know if it's my receiver burning in or my speakers burning in, but it's the best rig I've heard so far. Now, Dean's setup took on a completely different dimension with Stuartr's vinyl front end, and I'm not talking about that. Digital to digital, I think the speakers are a match for his A-20's - or more. The dome tweeters in my speakers cost a heck of a lot more than what are in any speakers in the $1k-3k price range and are supposed to be top notch performers. The only complaint I know people making about the tweeter is that (in some designs) it sounds too soft. Not the case with mine, that's for sure. I know Dean's tascam pro audio cd deck cost a heck of a lot more than my emu, that's for sure! I know that my system has so much more potential. These speakers are keepers. With the ports plugged (I have a big room problem with bass) these speakers are definitely not the weak link in my system. That's why I'm looking at dac options now.

Aug 24, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #20 of 58
Uhhh I think you missed the point a little... Yes, there are MUCH better speakers out there, but for $400 (including the tax), the BX8's are awesome! Not everyone has the budget or desire to spend >$1K on speakers, particularly considering they're for my bedroom...
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2004 at 12:24 AM Post #21 of 58
Did you try to talk them into selling a 20/20bas v1 for around $400? I think with your skills you could do it. I'm not kidding! That was one of my points
wink.gif
You could build my diy speakers without breaking $500 if you use normal xover parts, maybe $450 if you can build your own cabinet. Or use a cheaper tweeter (he has 2 published designs, one with a morel tweet and another with a seas tweet,) which is still supposed to sound great, very close to the hiquphon ow1, and that could get you under $350. A general guideline I tried to maintain was for bass extension to be a bonus because that could always be added with a subwoofer as funds allowed, so a good midrange was my main criteria.

Hmm...I'm not kidding about the 20/20bas. You may need to find a GC that actually has the v1 available though.

On the other hand, are you telling me it's already a done deal? If so, ok, ignore me
tongue.gif
As long as you're happy with your speakers! I'd be happy to bring my 2 sets of speakers over for a shoot out some time though, to confirm my memory. It could be true that you got the BX8 setup well and I just didn't hear it to its full potential. I could also be just fooling myself into believing I made good purchases too
tongue.gif

Aug 24, 2004 at 12:29 AM Post #23 of 58
I want to go....

Aug 24, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #24 of 58
Sorry, I get carried away on this topic
eek.gif

I guess Ed's dead set against speakers at the meet
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2004 at 1:40 AM Post #25 of 58
Quote:

speakers at the meet
wink.gif

Now there's a good idea...

...sorry Ed... I'll certainly try to make it, just let me know when and where.
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2004 at 1:47 AM Post #27 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
We could just have another "speaker meet" at Jasper's office
biggrin.gif

BTW ooheadsoo, I would probably buy your NHT's if I were in a suitable environment.

biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #28 of 58
Hehe, I wouldn't be opposed to a mini head-fi speaker meet.
smily_headphones1.gif
The NHTs got a zing up top, that's really all I have to say about what they really do wrong. At least IMO.

Now, before Ed gets more upset...We come up with a ballpark date yet for the head meet?

Aug 24, 2004 at 2:38 AM Post #29 of 58
I'm all up for a speaker meet, but I'm just saying that it doesn't work well logistically for a full blown head-fi meet for two reasons.

1. Space
Speakers require alot more space.

2. Noise Leakage
Not even close to open headphones, but it would make critical listening of headphones impossible unless the speaker section were in another building or a sound insulated room.

-Ed

Aug 24, 2004 at 2:44 AM Post #30 of 58
Yeah, it'd definitely work better as a separate event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back