SoCal Meet (Fall/Winter 2004)
Oct 1, 2004 at 6:15 AM Post #46 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by remilard
I was thinking of flying down (from Portland) for the next CA meet since I can fly free anyway. How far is this place from LAX and can you get there on public transportation? I've never been to LA
smily_headphones1.gif

Roughly an hour from LAX to Simi, including the typical, non-rush-hour traffic tax.

Oct 1, 2004 at 6:23 AM Post #47 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimSchirmer
Better do it quick 'cause i'm about to switch to speakers-only rig

I am in the process of cobbling some speakers together now also. I just ordered a Behringer digital crossover and I'm on the prowl for some ScanSpeak transducers and an MTM enclosure.

Depending on my ineptitude level, there will probably be some speaker driver carnage before it's all said-and-done.

Oct 1, 2004 at 7:27 PM Post #48 of 58
Wow, eager to see what you can do with that behringer digital xover. I cobbled together some diy speakers a couple months back and I will never go back.

Oct 2, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #49 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Wow, eager to see what you can do with that behringer digital xover. I cobbled together some diy speakers a couple months back and I will never go back.

ooheadsoo -
Here's where I am so far. I've selected the North Creek Rhythm Revelator MTM design for the satellites. Two North Creek Poseidons will be used as subs. Drivers are matched by North Creek and are on order. I have ordered cabinets from Lee Taylor. These should arrive in about four weeks. When all arrives, I'll mount the drivers, cable it up in the living room. I hope to have the crossover configured and all electonics operational by then.

This will be my first experimentation in a tri-amp configuration. All the "experts" that I spoken to about this (except here at head-fi) say that I'll be disappointed in the digital crossover. Of course, this is from people who have designed passive component crossovers exclusively. What the heck, if it doesn't work out, I can always go back to a passive design.

What do you think? What arrangement did you select?

Oct 2, 2004 at 9:29 AM Post #50 of 58
Northcreek's got a fantastic rep. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. As for the digital xover, it's a fantastic idea, one that lots of hobbyist designers are now looking into. Any kind of xover slope you want, no phase funkiness? I like! I reccomend checking out the madisound forum. They've got some people working with the behringer deq and dcx and liking it very much, I think. Some also swear by the marchand xover but it's a lot more expensive than behringer, that's for sure!

I built http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=MBOW1.html with cabinets horribly botched by yours truly. I've got a dual 10" subwoofer as well with run of the mill Peerless drivers. Those are some beautiful cabinets Lee Taylor makes. Too bad he knows how good they look and charges you for them too
tongue.gif

Oct 2, 2004 at 5:15 PM Post #51 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Northcreek's got a fantastic rep. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. As for the digital xover, it's a fantastic idea, one that lots of hobbyist designers are now looking into. Any kind of xover slope you want, no phase funkiness? I like! I reccomend checking out the madisound forum. They've got some people working with the behringer deq and dcx and liking it very much, I think. Some also swear by the marchand xover but it's a lot more expensive than behringer, that's for sure!

I built http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=MBOW1.html with cabinets horribly botched by yours truly. I've got a dual 10" subwoofer as well with run of the mill Peerless drivers. Those are some beautiful cabinets Lee Taylor makes. Too bad he knows how good they look and charges you for them too
tongue.gif

Thanks for the info. I'll peruse the Madrisound site for kindred spirits.

And yes, Lee's cabinets are pricey. And to add insult to injury, I went through a woodworking phase about ten years ago. I have a garage full of power tools, saws, routers and everything necessary to do quality custom cabinetry, except for one item. I am utterly devoid of woodworking talent.

Oct 5, 2004 at 12:46 PM Post #54 of 58
I won't be attending this meet

Dec 14, 2004 at 6:04 AM Post #58 of 58
Hehe, still a disaster area.

I had to halt remodelling because of impending water mains work. i.e. the HOA annouced that they needed to rip out a few sections of wall that I had just finished painting.
mad.gif

Of course, when the day came, and the water pipe workers checked out the water pipes in my place remarked that it looked like they had already done the work.
rolleyes.gif

So back to painting (99% done) and wiring.

As for having a meet. Parking sucks ass. But I think I can rent a clubhouse for a day or two. If you guys want to do a winter mini meet, let me know. I won't be ready until February at the earliest.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back