So...who's using Windows 7 right now?
Jan 11, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #31 of 164
I'm content with Vista at the moment, once Windows 7 becomes available in retail, I shall acquire it.

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #32 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexboo12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Brever,
If you have the time, can you please report any audio related problem? Have you tried using asio4all or using dac? I got dac and using SB3 running fine on Vista so i wont make the move unless i can get those to run on Window 7.
Cheers,
AP

Sorry, I don't have a DAC to test this with. In general though, with regards o drivers and similar under-the-hood, 7 should be near identical to Vista. All I can say is all my hardware seems to work, and winamp runs fine
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #33 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not totally convinced that Windows 7 will be dramatically superior to Vista. So far, reports have only cited bland improvements of Windows 7; such as "performance is smoother" and "the new start menu is well-done."

The biggest improvements are in networking and search which now makes it possible to browse your files by metadata rather than file-folder hierarchy (they call it libraries). It is indeed very much Vista-but-better, but also in a way that for me makes a huge difference. Your categorisation is a bit overly superficial though
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:52 AM Post #34 of 164
Maybe Sony implemented Vista better on their laptop, but whatever it is I don't have any Vista issues. And as far as searching of and for files is concerned: my Directory Opus has yet to be beaten.

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #35 of 164
now ive turned vistas UAC off, got the little icons in the task bar and turned off the superfetch and indexing [and a load of others]its not too bad, the side bar is a hogger but i like it as is aero, but i like it too

i would never buy an OS except with a new laptop, so theres no point in me trying the beta really

Jan 11, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #36 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now ive turned vistas UAC off, got the little icons in the task bar and turned off the superfetch and indexing [and a load of others]its not too bad, the side bar is a hogger but i like it as is aero, but i like it too

i would never buy an OS except with a new laptop, so theres no point in me trying the beta really

I have the exact same setup and other than Vista being a hog of an OS, it's not that bad.

I tried 7. Eh....nothing revolutionary other than it's not as fat and happy as Vista and a little quicker on the boot.

I'm sure I"ll make the switch after code it locked.

Jan 11, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #37 of 164
Quote:

You realize that turning Superfetch and Indexing off is a noticable performance hit rather than boost? And why turn off UAC? The only time it ever triggers for me is when installing or uninstalling programs. Congratulations - you just turned off all the usability and security benefits of Vista. Break it a bit more and you might have a Mac.

Jan 11, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #38 of 164
i use zone labs program control, much more stringant
indexing was constantly wracking the hdd cause i move stuff on and off it alot, cause of limited space

myy mistake i turned off readyboost not superfetch

but there are so many background tasks i turned off which are on as default

Jan 11, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #39 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Braver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I don't have a DAC to test this with. In general though, with regards o drivers and similar under-the-hood, 7 should be near identical to Vista. All I can say is all my hardware seems to work, and winamp runs fine
wink.gif

Thanks a lot Braver, maybe i just do the dual boot first.
Cheers,
AP

Jan 12, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #41 of 164
No Microsoft OS is worth using until after the first service pack. When that comes along, then I'll switch over to Win7 (mostly just for true DX10 capability).

Jan 12, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #42 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Argh, I just found out that ASIO and WASAPI are broken/not supported on here. Nuts, now I have to listen to music the bland way.

I just got around to installing ASIO4ALL 2.9 Beta 4 and it works great with my soft-prodigy AV-710 in Windows 7 64bit and foobar2k. I did use Windows Vista compatibility mode when I installed it just to be on the safe side.

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #43 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No Microsoft OS is worth using until after the first service pack. When that comes along, then I'll switch over to Win7 (mostly just for true DX10 capability).

Umm, i think the win7 is the service pack for Vista
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #44 of 164
Quote:

but there are so many background tasks i turned off which are on as default

Goodness I'm so sick of hearing this. Vista is not XP. Left at stock, it gets faster over time rather than slower. The background services consume no resources when idle. Leave them alone. You aren't going to help your performance at all, and you stand a strong chance of hurting it.

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #45 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Goodness I'm so sick of hearing this. Vista is not XP. Left at stock, it gets faster over time rather than slower. The background services consume no resources when idle. Leave them alone. You aren't going to help your performance at all, and you stand a strong chance of hurting it.

You've got that right. It's a bloated, buggy version of XP with a sad attempt at a "sudo" type feature which is broken by its own design. Having to confirm multiple times when trying to delete items, access administrator functions and install programs is not my idea of a good time.

If microsoft were smart, they would have directly copied the sudo feature of Linux where you are temporarily granted root privileges for 10 minutes after entering a password once. It's hardly as intrusive as the Vista method.

In my experience, Vista is better off slimmed down to the bare essentials, otherwise it drives me mad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back