So...who's using Windows 7 right now?
Jan 10, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #16 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone know how to take the auto expiration off?

Nope, but why would you? You can use the beta till August and a release candidate should become available 1 or 2 months before that and you will probably be able to run that when it has.

Anyway, have been running 7 fulltime on my Thinkpad since the 6594 (or somesuch number) build leaked. Tried to get through the madness yesterday and must say it was amusing hitting F5 on the MS pages and Neowin and simultaneously crashing both servers
smily_headphones1.gif
Just now finished the download of the 32bit version and getting 64bit as well to perhaps run on my other system (dualboot with XP there). Got all 10 (!) keys they're giving out noted down. Both my Live IDs gave one of those ten, so the concensus is they lifted the 2.5 million limit and made it free-for-all.

Anyway, I love every bit of it. It not only looks better, but unlike Vista it actually makes getting stuff done easier and faster. After a month of use I've come to a list of 5 very minor glitches that I'll be reporting after a reinstall and activation. So I'm just very happy the beta is so stable that I can just leave XP and Vista behind
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #17 of 164
Brever,
If you have the time, can you please report any audio related problem? Have you tried using asio4all or using dac? I got dac and using SB3 running fine on Vista so i wont make the move unless i can get those to run on Window 7.
Cheers,
AP

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #18 of 164
I'm curious to see how if affects game performace, too.

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #20 of 164
^
Same here
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #21 of 164
I'm not totally convinced that Windows 7 will be dramatically superior to Vista. So far, reports have only cited bland improvements of Windows 7; such as "performance is smoother" and "the new start menu is well-done."

Personally, I thought Vista was a fine OS - both from a usability and visual standpoint. From what I've read, I simply don't see how Windows 7 can be as dissimilar to Vista as testimonials have indicated.

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #22 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not totally convinced that Windows 7 will be dramatically superior to Vista. So far, reports have only cited bland improvements of Windows 7; such as "performance is smoother" and "the new start menu is well-done."

Personally, I thought Vista was a fine OS - both from a usability and visual standpoint. From what I've read, I simply don't see how Windows 7 can be as dissimilar to Vista as testimonials have indicated.

Windows 7 takes the fundamentals of Vista and improves them all around. Before Win7 beta I've been using Vista 64bit very happily since its own betas. The UI improvements really streamline the interface when it comes to usability.. Instead of explaining all the new features of the interface check out this video if you're not already familiar with them:
YouTube - New Windows 7 UI (PDC 2008) part1

Jan 11, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #23 of 164
Does 7 hog memory/resources like Vista?

Jan 11, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #24 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by hew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does 7 hog memory/resources like Vista?

Right now it's using 1.2GB of my 4GB, but actually Vista and 7 don't hog resources.. although they appear to be using more RAM they are actually pre loading your most frequently used applications with a service called Superfetch. In actuality any unused RAM is wasted RAM, when a program needs more memory it can be instantly freed up for it.

Jan 11, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #25 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
although they appear to be using more RAM they are actually pre loading your most frequently used applications with a service called Superfetch. In actuality any unused RAM is wasted RAM, when a program needs more memory it can be instantly freed up for it.

Except that memory consumed by SuperFetch is not available to the kernel cache, which is part of the reason Vista was so slow. It was a bad architecture tradeoff, and it's good that they've dialled it down.

Jan 11, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #26 of 164
The reason I ask was I noticed that when I played wav files on a laptop equipped with 4gb ram running Vista there's an infrequent crackling/popping which I understand is a resource allocation problem. (It handles lossless files fine) So a more appropriate question is resource management any better?

Jan 11, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #28 of 164
I just tested it with NIN's The Slip - 96khz 24bit High Res .wav and when my computer is under heavy load I do get some skipping but no crackle, I had a similar problem in Vista like you describe. Sorry, I don't have any regular .wav on hand to test.

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #30 of 164
I downloaded the Beta and burnt it to a DVD, going to wait until tomorrow to try a dual boot with XP. It's 12:15am and I've learned not to do anything strange to my PC after midnight. I've seen the sunrise too many times after doing something late at night...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back