So which IEMs do heavy metal fans use?
Aug 6, 2008 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Zafonic

Head-Fier
I want to get a friend of mine a set of IEMs. His musical tastes are completely different from mine: in my previous post I asked for recommendations for IEMs for acoustic music which I listen to; my friend likes heavy metal
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm looking to spend around $100 - $150 and this would bring in the Shure SE210s, Klipsch Custom 1, Ultimate Ears Super Fi.3, Denon AHC551K, and a few Sennheisers.

(I'm guessing that Etymotics are out of the question
tongue.gif
)

Would any of the above IEMs be a good match for heavy metal?

Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 6, 2008 at 8:42 AM Post #2 of 21
Out of your list I wouldn't opt for the Custom-1s, simply because they're characteristically suitable mostly for vocals, jazz and acoustic stuff.

Sennheiser do some excellent models for sure, but I find the Denon C551s are excellent for heavy metal. They have an exceptionally deep bass response that make double bass drums sound stunning, and a very clear high-end that helps bring out the different types of cymbals used in a lot of metal.

I really enjoyed a lot of metal through the C551s for sure. The SE210s are probably a good choice, but if you can, try and save just a tiny bit more for the SE310s which offer a much superior voice.

Aug 6, 2008 at 9:06 AM Post #3 of 21
Thanks Jazzhands!

Having never owned or heard any Denons it's good to hear your experience with them that they are good especially for heavy metal. I don't think they seal the ears as well as Shure, UE, etc but at least I know now that they are suitable!

Aug 6, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #4 of 21
The seal can be improved by using different sleeves. There's a range in the box. I found the largest ones were best.

The Denons offer a less warm sound than a lot of 'phones, but I personally found them very suitable for heavy metal, but particularly for dance and electronic music -- a genre I think they're best for.

Aug 6, 2008 at 9:27 AM Post #5 of 21
SF5EB.

Aug 6, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #7 of 21
Well, let's here. I don't know if your friend's sound preference is like mine or not, but I am a huge metal fan (I listen to very very little that is not rock/metal). But the first pair of earphones that I found that I really liked were the Sennheiser OMX70 Sport, they are not IEM though, they are wrap around earbuds, but they sound amazing for $30 buds. And right now I am using Sleek Audio SA6 and I am very impressed with them. The sound is like the OMX70's but improved upon many times over. With adjustable bass and treble for each earpiece, and EQ settings on an mp3 player, it should no problem for your friend to find the sound he wants, but it will cost anywhere from $195-$250 ($195 being from soundearphones.com).

Aug 6, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Westone UM1

QFT.

They worked with all the metal I listen to when I had them. Up to the UM2s now and still happy.

Aug 7, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzHands /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser do some excellent models for sure, but I find the Denon C551s are excellent for heavy metal. They have an exceptionally deep bass response that make double bass drums sound stunning, and a very clear high-end that helps bring out the different types of cymbals used in a lot of metal.

Great bass, oh yes definately (c551's + fiio amp + Mach3Bass = OMG!! *drools*) but I dunno about the high-end part. The response just isn't as clear. It's a good all-round IEM with a slight emphasis on bass but it's highs could be better.

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #11 of 21
Save your money and time.. Triple.Fi is your only choice. I listen to Behemoth, Suffocation, Exodus and also Bullet for my Valentine and many others. I upgraded from the Super.Fi 5 and is a whole different level with the Triple.Fi. With other headphones the whole song takes on the signature of the headphone, but now I finally understand what neutral sounding headphones are. I didn't know it was this important. You can concentrate on each instrument and the artist particular signature sound independent from the rest of the song at any point and isolate it. It is very entertaining.

Aug 7, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Westone UM1

I think that UM1's for metal would be the worst choice of all (coming from who used them for over 2 years). They are definitely not metal IEMs. Slow as hell, rolled of highs. The only genre UM1's shines is Jazz. One last thing about Westone UM series, they are not designed to use with compressed music. They only tuned for live and uncompressed music. Be aware.

My advices for the OP are;
  1. Altec Lansing im616
  2. Altec Lansing im716 (with amp or pod removed)
  3. Etymotic ER-4P (headbangers best friend)
  4. Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro (if you like bassy sound signature)

Just my .2 cents

Aug 7, 2008 at 9:54 AM Post #13 of 21
I listen to rock and metal and love the sound of the Atrio M5's.

They may be a little over price range new (I think they are $200), but I got mine used for just over $100

Good luck
Paul

Aug 7, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #14 of 21
Finally. I wait 10 minutes and no one helps me with my question!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink_face.gif

LOL! Just kidding! (see 'other' headphone thread if you don't know what I'm talking about)
jecklinsmile.gif

Thanks for the advice and recommendations, guys. I do have a specific budget so the Triple Fi are out of the question. I think the Denons and Audio Technica might be good options. It's just a shame the Etys that I have are not bassy enough for heavy metal.

Cheers
atsmile.gif

Aug 7, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #15 of 21
No vote for Sleek SA6? I don't own them but from the limited auditing I did for them they seem like terrific metal in-ears. In any case a good closed back like the D2000 is probably better than any IEM for metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back