So what's the buffer situation?
May 14, 2006 at 10:49 AM Post #17 of 33
I knew I'd read somewhere here theres a downside to using the SO-8s.

Well it's easier and I don't have enough so 1 on top 1 on bottom is the way to go.

By the way, just out of curiosity, does anyone know why TI has run out ?

Although it was said their web site isn't accurate, the last few times I checked they have none and theres a 3 month lead time.

So is it just they can't produce enough to meet demand or are they phasing them out or something ?

May 14, 2006 at 11:07 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by splaz
does anyone know why TI has run out ?

Yes. They don't have an assembly line manufacturing all of their parts continuously. TI makes 700 different types of op-amps alone! Nobody has that kind of manufacturing capacity. Instead, they schedule parts to be made in particular fabs, and they're made in batches. Ideally, they schedule all this so the next batch is made just before the last ones from the last batch are sold. That doesn't always happen, obviously.

I suspect there are other issues in play here, like not having enough fab capacity, so the manufacturing slot for low demand parts like buffers gets given to something more profitable. But that's just a guess, based on the fact that we saw this same mess with the TLE2426 just last year.

May 14, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Seriously, keep checking ebay, you'll get 'em.

I'd love to, but have seriously had so many problems with ebay sellers that I have sworn to avoid it. I know, I know, there are good deals there, and usually (like your link) exactly what I need. Just too many bad memories...
eek.gif

I am finding a few alternate places online who at least show some listing of it in their inventory. Prices are certainly not Jameco, but this is a CRISIS, MAN! I gotta remember to check locally as well.

May 14, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #20 of 33
Sorry, bhjazz - I received a bunch of BUF634 DIP-8 from Jameco a couple of weeks ago. That might've helped to deplete them.

Parts Connection still has them listed for $6.95, but you have to call them to be sure - they have no online stock update.

Checked Newark, Allied, DigiKey, Mouser, Farnell Export, and TI itself - all of them are out of DIP-8 BUF634's. No one is listing them on ebay right now, either.
mad.gif

May 15, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #21 of 33
Farnell Australia online states that they are in stock.

Would cost you a small fortune, well compared to what you guys can get them for elsewhere, about $15US a pop without shipping. Unless someone orders massive quantities, 100 or more an it drops to around $7US each. That's if they have them. They should though, they'd hardly sell like hot cakes.

If you get really desperate it's there I suppose. I'd look to other places like Asia first though, should be a lot cheaper.

Now I must say thanks to Ishkabibel. It cost me a bit more than getting them from the US but he actually had them.
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by splaz
Farnell Australia online states that they are in stock.

Would cost you a small fortune, well compared to what you guys can get them for elsewhere, about $15US a pop without shipping. Unless someone orders massive quantities, 100 or more an it drops to around $7US each. That's if they have them. They should though, they'd hardly sell like hot cakes.

If you get really desperate it's there I suppose. I'd look to other places like Asia first though, should be a lot cheaper.

Now I must say thanks to Ishkabibel. It cost me a bit more than getting them from the US but he actually had them.
biggrin.gif

Farnell and Newark Malaysia both have them in stock, selling at USD$7 each. even better, they don't charge shipping for a minimum order of USD$5.6 (within Malaysia). but there's not many active builders over here.

May 15, 2006 at 11:45 AM Post #23 of 33
TI indicates >10,000 due in June. That's only a couple of weeks away at this point. So, perhaps with a little patience - we'll all be swimming in BUF634 DIP-8 shortly.

You might try ordering samples/purchase from TI directly. They will back order with a promise to ship immediately when they come hot off the production line. I've found this is the absolute quickest response for something out of stock.

May 15, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent
I suspect there are other issues in play here, like not having enough fab capacity, so the manufacturing slot for low demand parts like buffers gets given to something more profitable. But that's just a guess, based on the fact that we saw this same mess with the TLE2426 just last year.

I'm thinking that the RoHS transition is also putting a wrench in their production schedule.

May 15, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent

Unfortunately it looks like we're going through the same thing again with the TLE, it's out of stock at both Digikey and Mouser again. Mouser isn't showing a delivery until August
eek.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif

May 15, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
Unfortunately it looks like we're going through the same thing again with the TLE, it's out of stock at both Digikey and Mouser again. Mouser isn't showing a delivery until August
eek.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif

I think they've been out of those for a while. I got some from AMB when I was ordering parts for the PIMETA and M^3 when neither Mouser or Digikey had them in stock.

I think I have one left if someone really needs it but you might try AMB's site too and help out a fellow member.

May 16, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Windchill
OK, anyway, I'm doing a PIMETA after a couple of successful CMOYs (thanks Tangent) and as I'm sure you all know, the BUF634P buffer is not available at Digikey or Mouser.

C'mon guys, there are several other buffer out there. Take this opportunity to try a breadboard amp or design your own pcb. The HA3-5002 and LT1010 are easy to get and, best of all, cheaper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dokebi
Does anyone know of any commercial products (other than our common headphone related stuff) that utilize the buf634 or tle2426?

I've wondered the same thing myself. I did however recently buy a couple of circuit boards for parts scrounging purposes, and they had two OPA627's per board. That's the first time I've ever seen the OPA627 used in a non audio product.

May 16, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyre
C'mon guys, there are several other buffer out there. Take this opportunity to try a breadboard amp or design your own pcb. The HA3-5002 and LT1010 are easy to get and, best of all, cheaper.

Neither of those buffers have the same pin configuration. If this is the first time someone has built a pimeta (or whatever), troubleshooting a bradboarded design should come well after a stock version has been built and is running correctly. I agree with you, but that's adding an extra can of worms when the builder may not know there are worms in the can!
eek.gif

May 16, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
eek.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif

My PPA project almost came to screeching halt for want of a single TLE2426 (I needed 5 for the project and had 4 in the bin). Newark saved me and is still showing plenty of stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back