So what's the buffer situation?
Apr 11, 2006 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Windchill

Head-Fier
Yep, noob here, sorry about my wallet (ha, beat you to it
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

OK, anyway, I'm doing a PIMETA after a couple of successful CMOYs (thanks Tangent) and as I'm sure you all know, the BUF634P buffer is not available at Digikey or Mouser.

Tangent lists the BUF634U as an alternate, which is available. Same buffer, different package (SOIC-8) right? And I'd need (or want) Browndog adapters for those?

Apr 11, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 33
Try Jameco. Here's the linky:

BUF634P.

They do have some as of..as of right now, anyway (right now being 8:04 PM, PDSTApril 10)

Jameco is our secret "get out of 'no buffer' jail" link.

Apr 11, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Windchill
Tangent lists the BUF634U as an alternate, which is available. Same buffer, different package (SOIC-8) right? And I'd need (or want) Browndog adapters for those?

BrownDogs or you could always do this :
SMD-a.jpg

SMD-b.jpg

or my fav, this :
SMD2DIP8.jpg

^ been doing that to all of my SOICs.

Apr 11, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Can't even imagine how many ways I could screw that up. Did I mention -- noob?

then my advice, don't even try it out.
i've messed a few SOICs in my early age. part of the learning process.
eggosmile.gif

Apr 11, 2006 at 11:29 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

I'd need (or want) Browndog adapters for those?

The PIMETA also has SO-8 pads on the bottom side for the buffers. The downside of the SO-8 buffers is that they aren't capable of as much output current as the DIP-8 ones, and stacking them is harder.

Apr 11, 2006 at 12:32 PM Post #13 of 33
The downside to TI's inventory update is that it is not as up-to-date as it should be. The numbers they show rarely match if you check the current inventory with the seller.

Jameco's DIP-8 BUF634's are not secret anymore, bhjazz! I had mentioned it, too, in the other thread about TREAD and walwarts ("Is a TREAD/STEPS better than a plug pack?"). Maybe I should order some more - I watched them disappear real-time while checking the stock on Newark a few weeks ago. I got enough for my Millett boards that are coming, but I've been thinking about doing Tangent's PIMETA first.

Apr 11, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #14 of 33
Well then I hope I didn't just fark up my chances for starting on my Pimeta!
eek.gif
Maybe I'll order mine sooner than I was figuring. Oh well, if I'm too late, I'll just have to spend more time working on casing.

May 14, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #15 of 33
And a month has passed. Ouch!

Okay, Jameco is fresh out of the BUF634P now. Gonna give them a call Monday to see when the next shipment is.
mad.gif

coulda.shoulda.woulda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back