So what do I get if I don't like the ATH-M50?
Apr 13, 2012 at 10:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Bobby9

New Head-Fier
I've used IEMs exclusively and when using my friend's ATH-M50 I didn't like it too much. It's hard to describe what I didn't like, the music didn't feel as "close" to me. I've used Jays q-Jays, UE700s, and Meelectronics A151s out of which the Jays were my favorite. I'm in the $150 range and my favorite genre tends to be alternative but that's not exclusive. I also don't want to have to bother with an amp. I also need these to buy closed because I plan to use them outside of my home.

These are what I'm already considering:

Ultrasone HFI-580/DJ1
KRK KNS 6400
KRK KNS 8400
Shure SRH-440
Shure SRH-840

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #2 of 21

Quote:
I've used IEMs exclusively and when using my friend's ATH-M50 I didn't like it too much. It's hard to describe what I didn't like, the music didn't feel as "close" to me. I've used Jays q-Jays, UE700s, and Meelectronics A151s out of which the Jays were my favorite. I'm in the $150 range and my favorite genre tends to be alternative but that's not exclusive. I also don't want to have to bother with an amp. I also need these to buy closed because I plan to use them outside of my home. 

The  V Moda Crossfade M-80?

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #4 of 21

Quote:

These are what I'm already considering:

Ultrasone HFI-580/DJ1
KRK KNS 6400
KRK KNS 8400
Shure SRH-440
Shure SRH-840

Consider the Ultrasone HFi-580, 780, Beyerdynamic DT770 32ohm

None of these require an amp but I do recommend getting one in the future

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 21
The Ultrasone (or any Ultrasone, for that matter) is out if you want something closer than the ATH-M50. The Ultrasone sound places the music a few inches from your head, farther than in the ATH-M50.

The KRKs may be a bit too flat for your tastes, but they sure are detailed. The SRH840 can be filed under smooth and silky, but also flat.

Apr 14, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #7 of 21
hmm im guessing you dont like how closed back headphones sounds boxy... i use closed-back for bassy music, and iems for everything else

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #11 of 21
 A few others to consider that I like with Alt Punk and Alternative in general are the M-Audio Q40, which has a large-involving bass presence, and the Sony MDR-V6, which has a flatter sound but works very well with bass drums and guitar strings. The latter is also very near indestructible.

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #12 of 21
if its listening off internet radio on your fone, 
i would recommend KRK KNS8400...
its clarity balanced well with such transmission quality to my ears.
besides it is very light on the head, foldable, and super comfy around the ears.

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #13 of 21

Well that's no good. 
triportsad.gif

I think the M-Audio, Denon, and Bose (yes) offerings in your price range are where I'd start. Oh and the Sennheiser 280. 
Quote:
The reason I'm looking for headphones is my IEMs start to bother me after about an hour and half of listening. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back