So... What are your portable systems like?
Dec 8, 2008 at 10:54 AM Post #2 of 127
Right now, my main portable system is just a Westone ES2 out of, right now, an iAudio 7. I don't really need much more than that since the ES2 is very easy to drive while still sounding like a proper high-end headphone.

Total cost: $800 give or take. I could throw an amp in there for anothe $400 but the ES2 is so easy to drive that there's no point.

My more bulky portable system is... well, I'll keep the details to myself, but let's just say that it consists of a unique, DIY modified Stax SR-001 system, sourced from a MicroDAC out of a Sony D-NE920 CDP. It sounds absolutely brilliant, but I'll say no more.

Total cost: irrelevant, since this is a unique mod and there will never be another one like it.

Dec 8, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #3 of 127
iMod - APS IC - Pico - ESW10 here.
Prolly the better part of $1500 here, but since the portable rig gets the most head time for me (20-40 hours per week) I think it´s worth it.

Dec 8, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 127
UE11 straight out of ipod. I had an imod at one point a predator and a hornet, and even before i was using IEMs i didn't really think they were worth it both in terms of price and the inconvenience of having to carry the amps around.

Dec 8, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #5 of 127
Alpine head unit, JL Audio speakers + subwoofer. Best portable setup evar
smily_headphones1.gif

...or an ipod and whatever headphones I feel like bringing along.

Dec 8, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #6 of 127
160GB (not enough) ipod -> qables dock-to-mini -> Graham Slee voyager -> Sennheiser HD25-1 (mostly). I know the senn's don't really need an amp in terms of "amplification", but i like the weight it gives for different instruments, the way it brings mids closer and separates sounds. It also smoothes the treble quite nicely, while not taking away detail. I also carry a bag with me, so the size is not really an issue. Plus i love the separate volume-knob..
Only minus is that the senn's do have a small peak at around 150Hz, and the voyager is rather warm-sounding. This, on some albums, results in unwanted boomy bass.. :/

-K

Dec 8, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #8 of 127
UE-11 Pros right out of my iPod. Great comfort, fantastic sound and they block out the NYC Subway, what more could I ask for?

Dec 8, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #14 of 127
5G iPod directly to Shure e3c IEMs. When I travel, I take the RS-1 for hotel room listening. I also run the RS-1 directly from the iPod.

I have listened to several portable amps/setups. I don't think they're worth it.

Dec 8, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #15 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ipod photo to akg k1000

Oh goodness. That's going to rattle some cages

Users who are viewing this thread

Back