So uh, how insane do your friends think you are for getting into the high end headphone game?
Nov 28, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only friends I discuss headphones with are my friends from Head-Fi.

No one else needs to know what this stuff costs.

If asked, I always traded or bargained for something. For example, I only put about $100 into the HD-800 when asked. I don't bother to tell them what I sold to make up the rest.

I know how you feel. I've told some of my friends how much I've spent on my EMU and EF1, but I refuse to speak about my HF-2's. I'm embarrassed that I spent that much on a pair of headphones, honestly, especially considering I'm a college student and I don't really have the money to make more than one purchase like that a year, but man, I just absolutely love my setup... I don't think there's too much to improve on for quite a while.

Nov 28, 2009 at 10:52 AM Post #17 of 31
I tell some friedns how much my headphones cost, but I´m still less crazy in their eyes, then friend which buy old car for 3000$ with broken air-condition, lights, some problems with engine and cracked exhaustion.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 28, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #19 of 31
My friends used to think that I was bat**** crazy. In the meantime, they've all purchased Portapros. HYPOCRITES!

My family? Well, my dad thought that I was buying drugs with the money that I spent on my headphone amp, so audio pales in comparison to what he thought... My siblings just know that it all costs enough that I will kill them if they touch anything, so they stay away. My mom just thinks it's kinda funny.

Nov 28, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #20 of 31
Girl at work told me today she got a flat screen TV, DVD player and surround sound system for £300. She was made up. I did not have the heart to tell her that I plan to spend that and more on my next cans...

Nov 29, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #22 of 31
"You have 7 earphones 'cause......"
"Do you really need three headphones"
"You spent how much...."
"You're wasting your money (on frivolous things)"

They then use my setup and then somehow magically start to shut up.....
dt880smile.png

My sister can't really complain too much.... *stares at the huge box of magazines she bought as a teenager*

Neither can my Mum and Dad (spent a bit on vinyl and a vinyl setup + fashion when they were younger)

The person I only truly trust with my expensive headphone setup is my little bro. But he knows if anything happens to it in a negative way (particularly the amp and speakers as I can't readily replace those as easily).....

Nov 29, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #23 of 31
Nobody seemed to care much, probably already thought I was mad. You know, I've found that if you are normal most or nearly all the time, on the few times you do go crazy, people are shocked. If you act consistently crazy, you can get away with a LOT more. There, an important life lesson.

Nov 29, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The person I only truly trust with my expensive headphone setup is my little bro.

My brother knows he's on to a good thing as he tends to get my casts offs. I think his current speaker hi-fi rig is worth about £800 and who paid for it? ME!! Oh and he got my old water cooled PC.. Need to have a word I think

Nov 30, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopstretch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I had friends, they would worship me as a living god.

This attitude could be why you don't have any friends
wink.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #29 of 31
If I were embarrassed to explain something as simple as how many things I owned to my friends, I would seriously reevaluate either a: the things I owned or b: the friends.

The things are a lot more painless to rid myself of.

As for me, nowadays I think my most expensive remaining headphone was <$200 (k601), and even that may go at some point, because I just don't listen to headphones like I used to since I set up some real speakers to my machine.

Nov 30, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #30 of 31
Sorry too busy listening to music to go out and make friends!
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back