So THICK cables sound good ? I HAVE 6 GAUGE !
Jul 20, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #16 of 43
Try doing some searches for Home Depot or Lowes cable on the net (Audio Asylum, Bound For Sound, and others). Based on the BFS article, I went to Lowes and got some 6guage cable, separate + and - runs, with different directions for the leads. Slight twisting (one turn per foot approximately), and finding a big enough guage connector with small enough end piece.

This dang cable BLEW away all the more expensive cables I tried. It did SO many things right it was amazing. Tonality, dynamics, deep bass, clean highs, space, etc etc etc. Just a very slight glare in the mids, but that seemed to alleviate with time.

Total cost was around $35 for I think a 12 foot run.....

The deals are out there, without a doubt! I have always believed cables can make a difference, but have been lucky to find excellent price/performance contenders amongst the overpriced cables.

Jul 20, 2005 at 7:37 AM Post #18 of 43
Im currently recabling my source player interconnects. and They are thick
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 7:57 AM Post #19 of 43
Back in physics my professor had bars of varying metals that he used for a simple illustration of conduction. Good conducting metal, when a lighter was applied to one side would heat up quickly on the other side. I was pondering that if the metal bar was thicker it would take longer for this reaction to take place as there would be more material to heat. Not sure if this has as much relevance with electricity but I would surmise that too large of a gauge would impede performance rather than improve it.

Jul 20, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #20 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
Back in physics my professor had bars of varying metals that he used for a simple illustration of conduction. Good conducting metal, when a lighter was applied to one side would heat up quickly on the other side. I was pondering that if the metal bar was thicker it would take longer for this reaction to take place as there would be more material to heat. Not sure if this has as much relevance with electricity but I would surmise that too large of a gauge would impede performance rather than improve it.

Uhh, no, that's not right. Conducting heat and conducting electricity are not the same. Heavier cable has easily-measurably lower resistance than thinner cable.

If you really need to convince yourself this is true, go to Home Depot and buy 10 feet of lamp cord, one the skinniest that they sell (24ga?) and one heavy (~10ga.) and check the resistance on your multimeter.

Jul 20, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #22 of 43
It seems everyone either goes as big as possible or as little as possible... I wonder who is right.

Hmmm, I will need to get some speaker cable soon for my computer rig. Any good low cost solutions? Wasnt their some sort of extension cord that could be split that worked well as speaker cable? I think it was orange.
confused.gif

Jul 21, 2005 at 5:50 PM Post #25 of 43
Your interconnects are thicked than your powercable. That's disturbing
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
fat cables are the way to go
smily_headphones1.gif

Am I the only one who thinks this to be a little bit... offensive?
icon10.gif

Dare to mod Etys this way?
etysmile.gif

Jul 21, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #27 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
fat cables are the way to go
smily_headphones1.gif

That one took me by surprise right there.
eek.gif

Jul 21, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #28 of 43
I make railroad tracks out of copper and use them as speaker wire.

Jul 21, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
Am I the only one who thinks this to be a little bit... offensive?
icon10.gif

Dare to mod Etys this way?
etysmile.gif

why would it be offensive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back