So many choices, so limited budget :D
Apr 19, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #16 of 37

Quote:
I thought it's too much of the higher frequencies which causes listening fatigue over long periods. 
rolleyes.gif

For me, too much bass tires me more than too much treble... I never found any earphone bright or sibilant... that includes the UE700, GR07, and CK10

Apr 19, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #17 of 37
I like bass, but its about a balance. With my Shure 840s i felt that even though i was amazed by the highs and mids the low end was lacking, so i purchased a fiio e10 (i think) with bass booster and it makes it alot more enjoyable for my specific genres.
moderate bass, to me, is fine..if i wanted muddy bass, messy lows and recessed mids i would go for the Beats range :p

Apr 19, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #18 of 37
Whats everyones verdict on the UE 700s? I have heard they are overpriced and weak, but then i hear they are crisp, well detailed, but lack bass (less impact than UE 400)
Reason i ask is because i come across a pair today for 100 Australian, in a shop, not online :D

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #19 of 37

Quote:
Whats everyones verdict on the UE 700s? I have heard they are overpriced and weak, but then i hear they are crisp, well detailed, but lack bass (less impact than UE 400)
Reason i ask is because i come across a pair today for 100 Australian, in a shop, not online :D

If by 100 AUD you mean less than $90 USD, go for it. UE700's a pretty good piece at that price point. As long as you're not a basshead and you like a good amount of detail, they'll do pretty well. Some people reshell them into customs, much like the TF10.

Be wary of the three versions flying around though. 1st one has the straight plug, the other two have the right angle jack. The 3rd one is obviously the best as it has the revised right angle jack that actually works. If you look at the US amazon entry for UE700, you'll see why the second version is bad.

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #20 of 37

Quote:

If by 100 AUD you mean less than $90 USD, go for it. UE700's a pretty good piece at that price point. As long as you're not a basshead and you like a good amount of detail, they'll do pretty well. Some people reshell them into customs, much like the TF10.

Be wary of the three versions flying around though. 1st one has the straight plug, the other two have the right angle jack. The 3rd one is obviously the best as it has the revised right angle jack that actually works. If you look at the US amazon entry for UE700, you'll see why the second version is bad.

+1, UE700 are not bad at all, especially at that price... detailed, transparent, and very very small....

What's the difference between the 2nd and 3rd version? Got any pics to show? I'm wondering which one did I get, the 2nd or 3rd

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #22 of 37
In my opinion, the klipsch image and reference S4 models don't offer the clarity most people demand. They are an improvement over the stock iPod buds.... but they aren't anywhere near amazing.

Apr 19, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #23 of 37
The title of this thread sounds musical to me.

Yes so many choices, yes so limited budget - but, you don't have to spend lots of money to get a decent setup for your portable music. Don't let yourself engulfed by the hypes and go with your instincts and trust nothing but your ears.

Now here is my recommendation for a decent and affordable setup ....

DAP: iPod video 5g/5.5g and rockbox the baby
AMP: No
IEM: EX600
Ears: your own

Now please don't blame me if this doesn't work for you, as I have warned you to go with your instincts and trust nothing but your ears.

Apr 19, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #24 of 37

Quote:
I am days away from getting a new phone (HTC ONE X) which is Beats enhanced and meant to have great sound, which leads me to this question.......Should i just get a better pair of IEM's and use the HTC as my primary music player while on the go, OR should i invest in a new mp3 player (Cowon j3, Sony x1060) and worry about headphones later?

Whether or not you want to get a new DAP such as a J3 will also depend on what music formats you have. Do you have a lot of flac which say your HTC can not play? I still think DAP should be something to upgrade after you have a good pair of earphones personally! Whether or not the HTC will give good audio i can not say and beats audio could just be a gimmick i do not know! 

As for earphones i have only heard good things about the GR07 and they seem to be up your street by the sounds of things although i have not heard them. Personally i think the Phonak range is a nice IEM start point as you can get the different filters so that you can have a variety of sounds and I'm sure one will suit you (probably grey).

Quote:

It uses a TWFK driver which i have had very nice experiences with (DBA-02). The new version is meant to be a lot nicer and although can still lack bass it will still have nice punch and impact! That would probably be quite a good deal!

Apr 19, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #26 of 37
Lets say I keep my Samsung K3 player (quite fond of the sound it produces and the EQ settings) and purchased the UE700, would it be worth looking at getting a fiio e5 for bass enhancement? Would that give me the crisp highs AND reasonable bass?
I dont want to sacrifice the highs in order for better bass, but I dont IEMs that offer lifeless bass.
I know I know, im picky haha
I stood in the shop for 40minutes with the headphones in hand looking at reviews online lol.
Should of just went on here :)

Apr 19, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #27 of 37
An amp cannot do a large amount of bass enhancement. If you want a more balanced sound for ~$150 you can go for the Sennheiser CX550. I've been using it for more than 2 years now. Highs are clear, more than adequate bass, and clarity is superb for the price.

Apr 19, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #28 of 37

Quote:
An amp cannot do a large amount of bass enhancement. If you want a more balanced sound for ~$150 you can go for the Sennheiser CX550. I've been using it for more than 2 years now. Highs are clear, more than adequate bass, and clarity is superb for the price.

I tend do disagree when we're talking about amps such as Fiio E11 with two dedicated bass boost settings. The E5 will almost double the bass with it's bass boost switch. it tightens up and comes very punchy overall.

Apr 19, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #30 of 37

Quote:

I tend do disagree when we're talking about amps such as Fiio E11 with two dedicated bass boost settings. The E5 will almost double the bass with it's bass boost switch. it tightens up and comes very punchy overall.

Then obviously it boosts bass. But I'd recommend not to go for that. What if you plan to change your IEMs later?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back