So it comes down to six phones
Sep 21, 2008 at 8:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Kuato

New Head-Fier
Just like half the thread-starters in this forum, I'm planning to buy my first pair of quality full-size headphones. I've been lurking at this place for a while, and through all your gnomic utterances I have whittled it down to six specimens.

I hope to spend no more than $200 on the phones themselves. If they're cheaper, that's definitely a bonus. They'll be running straight out of my 2003 Dell P.O.S. If I have to buy an amp, I will, but it wouldn't be ideal. Also, I'm not planning to upgrade for a few years after this.

My two biggest problems are that I live in Melbourne, Australia, and so am not able to try out most of the headphones discussed here, and that I haven't heard anything better than my beloved KSC-75.

Also, I'm fairly certain I don't have the ability to distinguish marginal improvements in sound quality. When I first tried the Sennheiser MX-400 earbuds, I found them vastly superior to the iPod buds. Then, when I first put on the KSC-75's they blew my mind. However, I never detected a large improvement going from the MX-400's to the lauded Yuin PK3's. And I can't tell the difference between low bitrate and high bitrate mp3's. So I've concluded that I just don't have the ears that some of you guys seem to possess.

85% of my music is rock. 5% folk, 5% jazz and 5% metal. To some, that might instantly spell "Grado's". But here's the thing: while my KSC-75's at times sound orgasmically good -- eg with a piano's high notes -- they are mildly fatiguing. I'm not sure if it's the bass or the treble that does it, but after an hour (rare, since I never listen to more than one album in a sitting), I am secretly glad to take them off. The other thing is that they can't handle death metal. The music is just too complex. I get a very muddy sound in comparison to my new car's speakers.

Returning to the thread title, I've narrowed it down to the Audio Technica ATH-AD700, Grado SR-80, Alessandro MS-1, Denon D1001, and Beyerdynamic DT-880. However, each have a drawback.

The AD700's lack bass. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of bass. I know the KSC-75's are supposed to be bass-heavy, and while I do detect that, I prefer them to the PK3's, which sound flat in comparison.
The AD700's are very large, too. One thing that has always impressed me about you guys is that you seem to have such a good idea of the size of your own heads. I mean, how can you tell that? I'm 6 feet tall, but have never thought of myself as having a large head.
Also, I've heard that the AD-700's sound like you have speakers on. I don't care about isolation, but really -- speakers? That's not ideal, if it's true.
Otherwise, these phones ("cans"? Is that the right term?) sound like good all-rounders.

The SR-80's sound like they'd be terrific for rock. But I'm worried about comfort, which I value. I'm also worried about fatigue, though I'm not sure if these present the same kind of fatigue that the Koss's give me, or a different sort that is not as bad, or perhaps worse.

MS-1's seem to be a good compromise, and they are supposed to have a similar sound signature to the KSC-75's, so I know I'll love them. But that also carries with it the promise of similar fatigue, which isn't a deal-breaker, but is a small flaw nonetheless. Plus, they not very comfortable, from what I've heard.

D1001's are very popular on this forum. But I get the impression that they're bass-heavy (don't know if that's a plus or a minus for me). They're also closed, which I understand typically means an inferior sound.

The DT-880's look the most solid and comfortable. Objectively, they're clearly the best headphones of this bunch, which is why they cost twice as much as the rest. They are also supposed to have a very detailed, neutral sound, which I can't be certain I'll like but which I really do like the idea of.
Their problem is that they need amplification. If the difference between these amped and the rest unamped is going to be huge, I am willing to pay an extra $200 for an amp. But if it's still debatable, no way, Jose.
The other problem is my largely 192-256 bitrate mp3 collection and my atrocious source. I've heard that these phones are unforgiving.

So, for those who've actually read this far, first -- thanks! Second, though: which pair would you recommend? If none of these will be a large improvement over the KSC-75's to my untrained ears, I'm happy to buy nothing.

Sep 21, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #2 of 24
Hello, Welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet. an amp is always a good idea. I have briefly owned the dt779'600 and really loved them! They are probbably the most comfortable headphone I owned but yes, they need an amp... I have for a long time used a laptop (toshiba) with a creative audigy notebook pcmcai soundcard (which was a BIG improvement o fthe included soundcard btw) with the akg k701, but it just doesnt get the full potential, which I only realized after I got my home amp... You might consider giving the for sale forums a good look if there are any amp+dacs for sale for a good price, for example the meier-audio 2move.
Greetings, Anouk,

Sep 21, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #3 of 24
Hmm. Given what you've said about your ear, I think the KSC75s are a good place to stop actually. So, until you want some full-sized closed cans (or something) for some specific non-SQ-related reason (e.g., you need the sound isolation), run far far away.

Sep 21, 2008 at 11:44 AM Post #4 of 24
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, Welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet. an amp is always a good idea. I have briefly owned the dt779'600 and really loved them! They are probbably the most comfortable headphone I owned but yes, they need an amp....

Greetings, Anouk. So, you are suggesting that the Beyers, amped, would be a huge improvement over the KSC-75's?

Quote:

Hmm. Given what you've said about your ear, I think the KSC75s are a good place to stop actually. So, until you want some full-sized closed cans (or something) for some specific non-SQ-related reason (e.g., you need the sound isolation), run far far away.

And you, Jonathan Jong (cognitive science student, right? I recall reading your comments after you bought a pair of D1001's), are saying that none of the headphones I mentioned would sound a whole lot better to me than my KSC-75's?

Sep 21, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #5 of 24
Take that back.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #6 of 24
LOL, "cognitive science" is close enough, I guess.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, I'm saying several things. First, the Koss KSC75s are great. They really are, and not just "for the price." Both times I got to hear them, they blew me away. Are they as good or better than the cans you mentioned? Almost certainly not. But - and this is point #2 - given your very forgiving ears, the point of diminishing return will be pretty early. Heck, I would be happy sticking with the KSC75s, but then I'm no uber-audiophile. So, it's not that you won't notice the sonic improvement at all, it's that it probably won't be worth the extra dinero. And finally, Point #3, if you find that you need different types (think different, not better) of cans, then that'd be a good time to upgrade. That is, upgrade when you want something different (e.g., closed), not when you think you want something better. Odd, but there's my advice.

Edit: Just saw BrookR1's suggestion. The PX100s are portable open cans. So are the Koss KSC75s. I'm not sure the PX100s constitute a sufficiently significant sonic improvement to justify an "upgrade" to them. Don't get me wrong, they're great. But the the 75s are pretty durned good themselves.

Sep 21, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #7 of 24
That's why I took back my post.
smily_headphones1.gif
I also read he preferred the 75s to the other Senns he listened to. It almost sounds like he wants to have it both ways...crisp detail without fatigue. It can be a double-edged sword.

Sep 21, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #9 of 24
Ditto on Anouk's advice. A few years ago, I had the choice of either getting a pair of RS-1 or CD3000, I choose the latter. I was happy with my decision until one of my roommates got a pair of RS1 about an year later (Which, imho, is the better of the two). So.... if you can, try auditioning as many headphones as possible.

Sep 21, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's why I took back my post.
smily_headphones1.gif
I also read he preferred the 75s to the other Senns he listened to. It almost sounds like he wants to have it both ways...crisp detail without fatigue. It can be a double-edged sword.

That's a good point, it is a bit of a double-edged sword. Hmm...Maybe the AD700 fanboys will chip in on whether that would fit the bill. It's said to be a really neutral set of cans with good detail (i.e., may be used for studio-monitoring), but isn't too fatiguing too.

Sep 22, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #11 of 24
I owned the A900s for a while and the detail was there and it wasn't fatiguing, but it lacked punch and the mids were a little recessed. The bass was good, but compared to the Grados, a little boomy.

Sep 23, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #12 of 24
Thanks for the advice, fellas. Looks like I'm one of the few who will save money as a result of visiting this forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, I would suggest you visit a head-fi/high-fi store and listen for yourself and see if you find that you notice the difference in sound. Or buy at an online store that has 30 day money back guarantee, I know both moon-audio and headroom offer this...
Greetings, Anouk,

You've got to pay for the postage, though, right? Rather than do that a couple of times, I could just go ahead and buy the $80 D1001's.

I'm not sure why people (not you guys; more people like me) are so reluctant to spend a few hundred dollars on quality headphones, but will readily throw down over a grand on speakers.

Sep 23, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #13 of 24
I think...that to achieve the same SQ, you have to spend more on speakers than headphones. If so, that's factor. Furthermore, HPs are a private affair, and speakers are a public thing. And I think people are more willing to spend more money on something that "benefits" more people. Also, speakers look more expensive. Ergo, people are more willing to spend money on them. They're bigger. I've heard this too many times to count: "What? You paid $X for that little in-ear thing?" There's a perceived size:value correlation. I think. All conjectural, of course.

Sep 23, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think...that to achieve the same SQ, you have to spend more on speakers than headphones.

Really? I've got a regular Panasonic stereo system that we bought 12 years ago for $650. It sounds wonderful. Very detailed (instrument separation in death metal!), and it has lovely enveloping kind of sound. I haven't heard any really good headphones, but I find it difficult to imagine any headphones sounding as good as that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back