So it comes down to six phones
Sep 23, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, why the D1001s? Do tell us how you made your decision. Let's see if we approve of the reasoning.
smily_headphones1.gif
Not that our approval is required, of course.

No, I haven't chosen the D1001's. I used the D1001's in my example because they're the cheapest... ie if I were to pay for postage to Australia on a couple of different phones, then I might as well spend a few more bucks and actually by a pair. Which I'm not going to do (unless I find a real reason to).

Sep 23, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #17 of 24
Kuato,

Speakers require a rediculous amount of setup to sound anything near a quality headphone rig. With speakers you have to take into account the large amount of air they need to move, room acoustics, ambient noise, resonance, the amount of power required to move the speakers, and all the other deleterious aspects of having a large area.

Headphones have almost no air to move compared to speakers, and being closer to your ears are able to handle lower amounts of power to produce audible music without any of the effects of the room.

Simply said unless you have a "listening room" with hollowed out wooden flooring, sound proofed, and acoustically balanced, speakers cannot reproduce the kind of intimate details of a quality headphone.

O Btw, My reccomendation would go to the dt880 with an amp if you could, that can is really out of league with the others you listed, and you should hear a very audible difference.

(Remember if you are using your computer as a source, you need an amp/dac combo)

Dave

Sep 23, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuato /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I haven't chosen the D1001's. I used the D1001's in my example because they're the cheapest... ie if I were to pay for postage to Australia on a couple of different phones, then I might as well spend a few more bucks and actually by a pair. Which I'm not going to do (unless I find a real reason to).

Oh right, I see what you mean now.

Sep 23, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #20 of 24
I can vouch for the MS-1s. Incredible set of cans but the only problem is the flat pads. I'm trying to find leather replacements for them but other than that, great set of cans for a excellent price. I paid about $60CND for mine which was a steal. Theyre comparable to SR125s..

Sep 24, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by myinitialsaredac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
O Btw, My reccomendation would go to the dt880 with an amp if you could, that can is really out of league with the others you listed, and you should hear a very audible difference.

(Remember if you are using your computer as a source, you need an amp/dac combo)

Thanks, Dave. Is an amp/dac combo just an amp with a usb port? How much would a cheap one that works well with the DT-880 cost?

Sep 24, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #22 of 24
^ Not really. An amp, as its name implies, amplifies. A DAC is a digital-analog-converter. Some devices have both amps and DACs built in. These come with USB ports. I'm not sure if any amps simpliciter (i.e., sans DAC) come with USB ports. Can't imagine why they would... So, I suppose if you had an "amp" with a USB port, you really have an amp/DAC.

Sep 24, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #23 of 24
To forevergone, the bowl pads are what you need, not leather. To Kuato...consider the Beyer DT-250-80. closed can, easy to drive, good for all genres of music. Scales up well as your rig gets better. To myinitialsaredac, right on...in my experience you have to spend in the neighborhood of 10x for a speaker rig to sound equal to headphone rig.

Oct 4, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #24 of 24
KSC75 is good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back