so im gonna dip my headphones in bleach.
Feb 16, 2009 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

Anti-Hero

100+ Head-Fier
UPDATE!!! Jump to page 3 for pics of the whole process!!!
bigsmile_face.gif

ok. not exactly. what i plan to do is buy some hd414 pads for my new ms-1's and then (before i put them on my phones) throw them in some bleach. because i just really dont want yellow. i plan to dye them red. its my color preference. is this a bad idea? the bleaching and dying part. not the buying hd414's part. thats already been decided. but will the bleach or dye ruin them? im not good at chemistry.
confused_face.gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 85
bleach can do some weird things to all kinds of fabric. Im pretty sure it will affect the feel of the pads, but maybe not adversely. They will just probably feel a little different to the touch. Other than that, as long as you use dye that is made for that type of fabric, you should end up with a nice DIY set of pads.

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #4 of 85
It will probably smell horrible, and it might ruin the pads. I guess if you can get them cheap do it just for a fun project, but don't expect much.

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #5 of 85
ok so does anyone know a bleach free method of going from yellow to red without accidentally getting orange?

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #7 of 85
I think he's worried of the bleach's affect on the padding, whether it's woven polymer matrix will result in a bad physical sound-path (changing the overall EQ).

Feb 16, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #9 of 85
just make sure you use an extremely small amount of bleach highly diluted in water. A lot of bleach will just dissolve them.

Feb 16, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #10 of 85
Sennheiser make the pads in yellow because the blue ones used to crumble and perish in a fraction of the time. I'd bet my bottom dollar that if you try to bleach them or dye them you'll kill their life expectancy as well.

Feb 16, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #11 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser make the pads in yellow because the blue ones used to crumble and perish in a fraction of the time. I'd bet my bottom dollar that if you try to bleach them or dye them you'll kill their life expectancy as well.

I think you inadvertently just started a misconception that color plays a factor in durability.
tongue.gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #13 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you inadvertently just started a misconception that color plays a factor in durability.
tongue.gif

No, I think he implied that certain chemical compositions in dyes played a factor in durability.

Feb 16, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #14 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

If people read that meaning out of what I said that's a shame for them.

Feb 16, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #15 of 85
Try a red vinyl dye for automotive upholstery - it is very good at changing colors.

Just be careful to dry them thoroughly. You wouldn't want your sweat to turn your ears red. But should that happen, you'll have to post pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back