so i'm going to rewire the beyer's
Feb 9, 2007 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

emericanchaos

100+ Head-Fier
i have 03 990's with the stupid coil cable. at this point i'm thinking of running down to rat shack buying a headphone extension cable and cutting it down to fit. problem is, after being a ratshack employee, i know their quality isn't exactly par.

anyone have any good recommendations on CHEAP cable. maybe i'd have to use said cable and add more dielectric shielding to it myself.

links are always useful as i typically buy online.

Feb 9, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 25
I just ordered some Canare Star Quad that I'm going to use for my DT-770/80's. Can't beat the price at .40 a foot, and I know others have used it with good results. Here's the link below. I'm sure there are other places you can find it, I just happen to have used Markertek this time.

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...f=48&sort=prod

Feb 9, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by duchamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered some Canare Star Quad that I'm going to use for my DT-770/80's. Can't beat the price at .40 a foot, and I know others have used it with good results. Here's the link below. I'm sure there are other places you can find it, I just happen to have used Markertek this time.

sweetness. if you could link me to so quality connecters i'll be set.

my left driver keeps shorting. if i push the cable up into the cup it will come back on. seems like there's a lose connection on my left side. figure if i'm tearing it down that much, may as well rewire.

how well would this cable work to run through the headband to the right cup? too thick? should i just punch the plastic on the other cup and wire each cup seperately ( make a Y cable instead)?

Feb 9, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

is this stuff copper or silver?

Feb 9, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by emericanchaos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is this stuff copper or silver?

It's copper. You won't find silver for anything near .40 cents/ft. Silver runs more like $2/ft+ from what I've seen- and that's for a single strand. You will need three or four lengths X the length of the cable. depending on how you wire them. For example Home Grown Audio sells 3 strand 22awg silver for $8.50/ft.
http://www.homegrownaudio.com/silver_braid.htm
There is debate as to if the cost is really worth it. If you can hear the difference then by all means....
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

It's copper. You won't find silver for anything near .40 cents/ft. Silver runs more like $2/ft+ from what I've seen- and that's for a single strand. You will need three or four lengths X the length of the cable. depending on how you wire them. For example Home Grown Audio sells 3 strand 22awg silver for $8.50/ft.
http://www.homegrownaudio.com/silver_braid.htm
There is debate as to if the cost is really worth it. If you can hear the difference then by all means....
wink.gif

haha i was just asking. considering i'm basically listening straight out of my computer i don't think the wire is the weak point.

Feb 9, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by emericanchaos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha i was just asking. considering i'm basically listening straight out of my computer i don't think the wire is the weak point.

In that case your money would be much better spent on even an inexspensive amp. You could recable AND buy a portable amp or build a CMoy for what you would spend to build a silver cable. Just starting out, the silver wire is kind of overkill for you. It's the kind of thing those would do to extract that last 2% out of a high end system. My upgrade advice would be this for you-
1st Upgrade source quality (depending on the computer source you are using)
2nd Amp
3rd Phones (although I haven't heard the 990's)
- then stuff like cables
Just my 2 cents...

Feb 10, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

government surplus silver-plated teflon-insulated 22awg is pretty easy to find. I bought 17 pounds of it for $24 once.

'course, usually it's in the form of shielded twisted (stranded) pair, or individual strands of arbitrary lengths. would require techflex or something to make a headphone cable.

The 17 pound lot i bought was about 50% shielded twisted pair, 48% single wires (longest about 20 feet), and 2% mini-coax. The shielded twisted pair makes nice cables (you call those 'interconnects' here).

Here's a fun fact: The silver is there because of the extruded teflon insulation. The teflon is extruded at such a high temperature that it would react with tin, creating tin fluoride, which is a nasty volatile that would create bubbles in the teflon. silver fluoride isn't voltatile or nasty, creates no bubbles. There are some new extrusion methods that aren't that hot, so teflon-insulated tin-plated is starting to appear.

Feb 10, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

In that case your money would be much better spent on even an inexspensive amp. You could recable AND buy a portable amp or build a CMoy for what you would spend to build a silver cable. Just starting out, the silver wire is kind of overkill for you. It's the kind of thing those would do to extract that last 2% out of a high end system. My upgrade advice would be this for you-
1st Upgrade source quality (depending on the computer source you are using)
2nd Amp
3rd Phones (although I haven't heard the 990's)
- then stuff like cables
Just my 2 cents...

1. my source isn't too too bad. so it stays.

2. i've heard Cmoy's and other similar little pocket amps. none impressed me enough to drop coin. i'm looking into either a lunchbox or a millet hybrid depending on how adventurous i get.

3. i'm talking about recabling because my left driver has a short. when i push the cable in or wiggle it it'll come back on. figured since i was taking it down that far anyway may as well rewire it.

another way to look at it is i'm fixing a short in the left driver and making an interconnect.

Feb 10, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #11 of 25
If you do rewire it, think you could tell me what you ended up using, and if it sounds decent? I have a DT770 on the way, not sure if Im going to recable it or not, I might just wait for a bit and then when I scrounge up enough money get some nice looking cable.

Feb 16, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pm@c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you do rewire it, think you could tell me what you ended up using, and if it sounds decent? I have a DT770 on the way, not sure if Im going to recable it or not, I might just wait for a bit and then when I scrounge up enough money get some nice looking cable.

my decision to recable is based on two factors.

1. coil cable. i hate this thing with a PASSION!
2. short in the left driver. to fix it i would end up doing 80% of the work i have to do to re cable it.

Feb 16, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

something's up with markertek's site. when you click the link it's a different product almost everytime. right now it's showing me some "hot knife" tool.

anyway, so i ordered some cable. i have the canare starquad 4S8. i don't think this stuff would be good for rewiring headphones. it's as thick as TV cable...
ughdance.gif

i guess i'll keep it for making RCA's and interconnects and such but uh, can i get a recommendation on exactly what cable to use? i dont think i could even get this stuff to fit in the cups.
ughdance.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #15 of 25
I bought the L-4E5C. Type the model number into the search box and it should come up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back