so i'm going to rewire the beyer's
Feb 16, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #16 of 25
ur gonna need a 4 core shielded cable. the L-2T2S would be 2 core.

the L-4E6S is the way to go...or if u find it too big the L-4E5C would be the mini version.

i dont know if theres any difference in sound between the 2... coz i can only get the L-4E6S over here.

CANARE STARQUAD

EDIT: do remember to post step by step pics of ur recable.... would be nice to see
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mADmAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ur gonna need a 4 core shielded cable. the L-2T2S would be 2 core.

the L-4E6S is the way to go...or if u find it too big the L-4E5C would be the mini version.

i dont know if theres any difference in sound between the 2... coz i can only get the L-4E6S over here.

CANARE STARQUAD

EDIT: do remember to post step by step pics of ur recable.... would be nice to see
biggrin.gif

word. i'll get some new cable though. this stuff is wicked thick. the jacket for the connector won't even fit over it.

Feb 16, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #18 of 25
which one did u get?? the L-4E6S??

u should take a look at the L-4E5C. theyre the same except that the 5C is smaller...might fit thru ur plug's barrel. or u can always drill out the entry of the barrel to make it bigger.

or what u could do is get a plug with the spring strain relief (buy it just for the barrel. remove the spring and it should fit nicely. thats what i do. (click the link in my sig for the cable to see ratshack plug) the barrel should be able to be used with any standard connector of the same size.

Feb 16, 2007 at 10:29 AM Post #20 of 25
4S8?? i checked the canare page and it says theyre speaker cables...

dont know how those will affect ur cans...but the 2 cables which most people use and which u should be searching for would either be the 6S or 5C as mentioned above.

Feb 23, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #23 of 25
just finished. i'm sorry i don't have pics for you guys. i went to get my camera and realized, after being packed away, that it's broken...

honestly though it's not a difficult process. the guide in JMJ's sig is pretty much it. i wired the 3.5mm jack first. otherwise it's all there.

i ended up using the canare 4E5C. i'd hate to spout of percentages of how much this mod has improved the sound for me but honestly it's substantial. the cabling beyer gives you must not be very good. bass definition is ALOT better. drums sound alot better. their acoustic sound seems to have more dimension than previously. highs aren't as sibilant. i wouldn't say this cable makes the cans sound warm, they're still high and dry, but it certainly cleans up alot of the shrillness. makes them feel even more accurate.

what's lost? i feel i may have lost some staging. if you're familiar with coheed and cambria's "Keeping the Blade", the ending where weird little noises seem to float around, before it was almost like the sound was on my face. now it seems more distant. i'm not sure if this is an improvement or not honestly but i kinda liked the "on your face" feeling.

i played some daft punk as well. discovery sounds even better. the filters on the vocals sound much more interesting. bass is tighter. not depleted just more responsive.

all in all very worthwhile for beyer headphones. my cost was $4.80 for "12ft" of cable $3.** for heatshrink cause i accidentally ordered 12ft of it as well. oops, and i sprung on a nice switchcraft connector that cost $5. $5 to have them put in my mail box. my total was about $20.

in actuality i could do the whole thing again with the left over cable and i've definetly used more than 10ft of it (thanks markertek!).

considering the only thing i have in my rig is the headphones themselves and the improvement i'm hearing i really can't recommend this enough. especially for you guys running amps and DAC's and the like.

Tips:

when you get the driver out be VERY careful applying heat to the little bits the wires go on. it's extremely easy to soften the plastic. EXTREMELY. i would even go so far as to recommend attempting to re use the solder beyer used if you don't have any way to remove solder. when soldering onto them, whick the iron with a globule of solder and drop it on the joint instead of applying heat and adding solder that way. this way you can minimize contact and prevent melting.

wiring the cup. with the canare 4E5C i was able to reuse the little butt connector provided. it wasn't easy to pull the canare through but i made it happen and i think it looks much nicer this way.

also, give yourself a couple inches of wire inside the cup. seriously, like two inches at least. i didn't and it was very difficult to solder the wires on the driver. i'd rather have some extra cable in the cup than go through that headache again.

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by emericanchaos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when you get the driver out be VERY careful applying heat to the little bits the wires go on. it's extremely easy to soften the plastic. EXTREMELY.

Worse than that, if you get the post too hot you can lose the connection to the impossibly thin magnet wire that connects to the coil. And then you get to call up Beyer USA and explain to their excellent customer service guy that you need to buy a $45 replacement driver.

I'd recommend tinning the end of the headphone cable and then just briefly melting the solder on the wire into the solder on the post.

You can go back and fix a cold solder joint later. Harder to fix a busted magnet wire.

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Worse than that, if you get the post too hot you can lose the connection to the impossibly thin magnet wire that connects to the coil. And then you get to call up Beyer USA and explain to their excellent customer service guy that you need to buy a $45 replacement driver.

I'd recommend tinning the end of the headphone cable and then just briefly melting the solder on the wire into the solder on the post.

You can go back and fix a cold solder joint later. Harder to fix a busted magnet wire.

seriosuly. you gotta be really careful on those little posts.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back