So... I wore my SR-80s out in public today..
Feb 14, 2005 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

RnB180

Member of the Trade: RnB Audio
Dont remember when Ive ever gotten so many strange stares, a some high school kids snickering... and umm that was it..

felt odd walking around with these on. Cant wait for the shure e2s to arrive!

I dont think I will be wearing these cans walking around in public anymore.

maybe if it were stationary listening like at a cafe or something..

Feb 14, 2005 at 7:29 AM Post #2 of 56
maybe they weren't staring at the phones....
rs1smile.gif

Now if you were wearing sony's I bet you would be well regarded as
cool.gif

Feb 14, 2005 at 7:54 AM Post #3 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
rs1smile.gif

cool.gif

Get some triports and really get the oohs - Ahhs...

Feb 14, 2005 at 8:30 AM Post #4 of 56
If your in high school you cant expect much more. Most younger kids aren't very mature, and are always looking for something to snicker at to impress their friends. I wear my 225's around the city, and around college and never get anything. Also, I don't care so its entirely possible that people are snickering everywhere, and I just don't know it.

Mark

Feb 14, 2005 at 9:31 AM Post #6 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Target1
If your in high school you cant expect much more. Most younger kids aren't very mature, and are always looking for something to snicker at to impress their friends.
Mark

its not really a maturity issue... if someone looks dumb they should be laughed at. else how will they learn?

1082146345-1292.jpg

looks cooler than:

sr60.jpg

tho neither look good... is it genuinely a good trade off? sacrificing all sense of aesthetics for the sake of the utmost fidelity?

Feb 14, 2005 at 10:02 AM Post #7 of 56
That doesn't compare to when I wore my HD414s around school one time. Those are far uglier. Unfortunately they didn't have the yellow pads, I had some black ones I throw on myself.

Feb 14, 2005 at 10:03 AM Post #8 of 56
I wear ms-2 in public

with yellow pads.

Feb 14, 2005 at 10:11 AM Post #9 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
Dont remember when Ive ever gotten so many strange stares, a some high school kids snickering... and umm that was it..

felt odd walking around with these on. Cant wait for the shure e2s to arrive!

I dont think I will be wearing these cans walking around in public anymore.

maybe if it were stationary listening like at a cafe or something..

i get heaps of attention round school cause of my porta pro's
frown.gif
... the price of going private if u ask me

Feb 14, 2005 at 10:47 AM Post #10 of 56
Oh, if I had my SR60's back in high school. That would've been cool- I would've been a high rolla. People wouldn't know how to react- they've only seen Sony dungbuds around EVERYWHERE where I live. It seems that obody knows better than tinny lifeless sound. It's like I'm the only person in Salem, OR that is into headfi. Sucks over here! Live here for a week and you'll see what I mean.

rs1smile.gif
Abe

Feb 14, 2005 at 10:57 AM Post #11 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoot2boot
its not really a maturity issue... if someone looks dumb they should be laughed at. else how will they learn?

1082146345-1292.jpg

looks cooler than:

sr60.jpg

tho neither look good... is it genuinely a good trade off? sacrificing all sense of aesthetics for the sake of the utmost fidelity?

I think the opposite. The Sony's look cheap tacky and in yer face. Silver doesn't help either. The Grado's are retro, black and alot more understated. No way would I go out with them Sony's. I would with the smaller Grados (I have RS-1 but they stick out a bit too much, and too costly too lug around)

And as for looks over sound, does it really matter what they look like?
confused.gif
You don't buy hifi gear to look at them, it's the sound & build quality that's important, not whether they have silver trim, flashing LED's etc.

Feb 14, 2005 at 11:07 AM Post #12 of 56
I recommended the SR-60 as a good introductary level headphone to someone like 30 minutes ago, and they thought they looked awesome.

It's a totally different style from what you normally see, to be sure.

Feb 14, 2005 at 11:16 AM Post #13 of 56
I wear my MS1 all the time when I don't want isolation (like when I'm walking the dog or just enjoying the morning air). I've noticed people staring, but it's just because they're accustomed to seeing the "standard" 'phones with their modern looks; the MS1's classic appeal is found in its retro style that reeks of Americana and Italian function over form (both Grado and Alessandro are of Italian descent). I use vwaps (modded HD-414 pads) but they are dyed black so I'm not THAT hardcore - I salute the Grado/yellow pad espousers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2005 at 12:10 PM Post #14 of 56
I've been wearing my newly bought 880's out to school. I do get a few looks but I don't mind. I'm more worried about damaging them!

Feb 14, 2005 at 12:22 PM Post #15 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
rs1smile.gif

cool.gif

Sooooo COLD!!!
icon10.gif

Typical Redwing fan. Gotta overlook it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back