So... I wore my SR-80s out in public today..
Feb 15, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #31 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
I ride the subways and trains everyday and I see people with Eggos, V-x00s, Bose QuietComfort, Triports, HD497s, SR60s and all kinds of other full size headphones. No one seems to think this is weird at all.

i went to new york once. i saw a naked homeless person in a subway entrance wearing only a trash bag and no one even seemed to look or care. i dont think what headphones people wear even come close to what they consider wierd.

Feb 15, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #32 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoot2boot
its not really a maturity issue... if someone looks dumb they should be laughed at. else how will they learn?

1082146345-1292.jpg

looks cooler than:

sr60.jpg

tho neither look good... is it genuinely a good trade off? sacrificing all sense of aesthetics for the sake of the utmost fidelity?

No it is not a maturity issue, all depends on the preference of the listener, I know of some guys that do not like the Grado sound at all, and will prefer the V700DJ, and are completelly mature BTW, (I can't say myself, as I only have heard the two high ends ones HP-1000 and PS-1, need ot hear the rest to be sure) ....IMO the V700 is not a bad headphone, just a little overpriced, but the Grados I have heard, both, are IMO a way more overpriced for the performance they offer.....and I'm not comparing those with the V700 soundwise, just pricewise.....

Feb 15, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #33 of 56
I don't know if I would wear an open headphone in public. It seems rude to subject other people to your music. I know I get annoyed when I sit down before class and the guy next to me is blasting his music through some crappy radioshack headphones. I always feel like telling the guy to clean the wax out of his ears because I can hear what song he's listening to 3 feet away. I pretty much just leave my UM2's in now until I see the instructors lips start to move.

Feb 15, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #34 of 56
What's scarier is being able to sing along with somebody's closed headphones. Some people are going to have serious hearing problems real soon. In other news, I heard on the radio that concert instrumentalists are more likely to get hearing damage than rockers, due to the long practice sessions and high frequencies. A bit of a generalization, I know...

Feb 15, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #35 of 56
basically, jahn used to have a phobia about wearing his ms-1 in public until he did and one day a hot chick came up to him and asked "are those grados" alas, the poor chump lost his chance to have a mistress...oh well...

Feb 15, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #36 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoot2boot
its not really a maturity issue... if someone looks dumb they should be laughed at. else how will they learn?

While the delivery of this message is a bit direct, I support it. Some things flat-out look ridiculous and deserve to be ridiculed. Grados are one of those things.

That said, why does it matter? You don't know any of those people, probably wouldn't want to, and have likely never listened to headphones that good.

Feb 15, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #37 of 56
Are you guys nuts? I knew a guy that used 125's in my school once and I'm just like "What?" because it is very noisy at the end of the day at my school, hence the reason I switched from MX400's to E2c's. I get a few weird looks but mostly people just wonder what the heck they are. I always keep people wondering I think with my kind of shyness and bad habit of wearing Henly shirts all the time (but they're the only big shirt that fits me comfortably). Anyway, I don't recommend wearing them outside unless it's quiet.

Feb 15, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #39 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
hp-2's in the bank waiting to be served, says it all, baby

Don't you ever get enough?? Hey, I'm happy for you. Such a great collection...say, why don't you just PM me your street address and your work hours so I can...... "drop in on you". Would love to hear that gear and I'd sure hate to miss you!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 15, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #40 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
I actually thought they looked cool,
Dont understand why people stare, its not like they scream "look at me!" they are very understated and minimalist.

I agree, though I decided to tone my SR-60's down a bit more by sanding them down and removing the button off the grill. Now I just have solid black, very understated headphones, which compliments my style and personality perfectly. I would be wearing my SR-60's to school all the time, but E2c's are easier to hide from teachers during boring lectures.

Feb 15, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #41 of 56
Wearing Grados in public might get you some funny looks, but that's OK because you can just tell them that you're an avid ham radio operator...
biggrin.gif

I can't believe no one has said anything about wearing A900's or CD3000's in public yet! You might as well split a coconut in half and wear one of the shells over each ear, LOL.

And wearing canalphones isn't a guaranteed way to avoid attention, either. I remember a member posting about wearing his E5c's in the library and a lady there was making exaggerated motions when trying to talk to him because she thought he was wearing hearing aids...
etysmile.gif

Feb 15, 2005 at 4:44 AM Post #42 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
I was walking down Granville here in Vancouver the other day, wearing my SR80s, when I walked past a bus stop and saw...*another* guy wearing SR80s (at least I think they were, coulda been 60s). neat! th revolution is beginning!

(and if you were that guy, hi. :>)

Hahah it might've been me. I must say that of all the headphones I have people think the Triports look the best. Also of all my headphones i must say my triports are the most portable. Although many people at my school think Grado's are retro looking.

Feb 15, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #43 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twigs
Although many people at my school think Grado's are retro looking.

At my school I used to wear MDR7506s and a lot of people thought that they were retro since now everyone listens to cheap ear buds.

Now I use ER4Ps and no body gives me any looks, although people do frequently underestimate the isolation and try to talk to me while I have them in.

Feb 15, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #44 of 56
when i was in high school (yes... those were the days), i would always get a lot of funny stares and quite a bit of attention with the portapros. when i went sr80, i got much better attention. the only negative reaction i got was "what?" from my friends. otherwise, a few people ask me what those are and stuff. i am POSITIVE that there were a few freshman staring at me in disbelief, but i never caught one doing so. it's weird... you'd think i'd be laughed at at least once.

anyhow, now that i'm in college, i'm wearing full (and i mean full) sized headphones, and no one really cares. i look around just to see if anyone's staring, but i get nothing. the only attention i got was a hi-nod when some other cheap headphone wearing people walked by or some "which model is that" from akg fans. oh yeah, and one time my professor pulled me over to compliment on my headphones with a "heavy duty cable". hehe

Feb 15, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #45 of 56
I dont know about anybody else's school but the dumber your headphones look and the dumber you look the cooler you are (as long as you got the personality to back up the really tight pants, ripped collar shirt, and massive stupid looking phones.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back