So I want to buy an electric guitar, no idea what to get!
Feb 12, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

And last but not least, most of the sound is in the fingers. Only Santana sounds like Santana.

Amen to that.

I agree with most posters above - buy a guitar that feels good. I have a $350 Ibanez Artcore semi-acoustic that I absolutely love. I thought it would be a toy when I bought it and it's all I play at home anymore. I bought it on a whim because I picked it up, played it, and it just felt right.

GAD

Feb 12, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #17 of 35
It's really all about feel. For example, my girlfriend has some cheap electric that she prefers to my nicer one. I love the sound of my dad's Martin, but if he were to tell me to pick one of his guitars to have, I would probably pick his old Ovation.

His twelve string Taylor acoustic, on the other hand, is a monster.

Feb 12, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #18 of 35
I have a cheapie carlo robelli knock off prs I bought at sam ash for like $150 5 or 10 years ago. Humbuckers, nice straight neck, easy to set up. Doesn't hold tune forever. It's good enough to play with at home. That's the kind of thing I'd recommend for learning. I also just bought an amp simulator (behringer bass v-amp pro, because I primarily play at the bass, guitar is just a bonus) that can sound like nearly everything ever made. It's a fun toy, and makes playing fun. Gear is overrated until you're playing out.

Feb 13, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #20 of 35
I also recommend the MIM (made in mexico) strat. As you get better change out the pickups to better match the sound you like. Also check out the vintaged modified squire. Most squires are... crappy but the vintaged modified is awesome.

Feb 13, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #22 of 35
Sounds like you just want the 'classic' guitar sound, and not a humbucker sound, so I'd say definitely go with a basic tele or strat. You can definitely get a Fender tele or strat within your price range.... If you're able to go up to 500, then don't even bother with Starcaster or Squier! Get a real Fender -- MIM or even a MIK or something. But single-coils definitely sound like your thing.

For an amp, as a beginner, I'd recommend an Epi Valve Junior, or a Roland Cube if you wanna stay 'small.'
smily_headphones1.gif
Roland Cube is a great amp even if it is SS.

If you want to stick on a small budget, though, I can't recommend these guitars enough:

Rondo Music Home Page

Otherwise, something simple like the basic Strat:

Fender Standard Stratocaster Electric Guitar online at Musician's Friend

Cliche, but for a reason! Just a great 'classic' guitar.

Have you thought about a hollowbody, though? Might be more your thing considering your tastes in tone...

Ibanez Artcore AF75 Electric Guitar online at Musician's Friend

Actually, I think a hollowbody like that might make you more happy considering the sounds you like.
cool.gif

Feb 13, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #23 of 35
But of OP wants an actual Santana tone, it may be hard to squeeze that out of single coils. A good modeling amp would help a lot though.

I stand by my original recommendation of getting a standard MIM Fender Strat, and putting some new pickups in there, getting a small SS amp, and spending the rest on a good modeling pedal. With a modeling/effects pedal, something like one of those Boss multi-effect pedals (~$150 - $400+), you'll never get tired of playing around with different tones and effects, I promise. Even a basic modeling pedal like a DigiTech RP50 provides a wealth of sounds and effects for any guitarist on a budget.

Feb 13, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But of OP wants an actual Santana tone, it may be hard to squeeze that out of single coils. A good modeling amp would help a lot though.

I stand by my original recommendation of getting a standard MIM Fender Strat, and putting some new pickups in there, getting a small SS amp, and spending the rest on a good modeling pedal. With a modeling/effects pedal, something like one of those Boss multi-effect pedals (~$150 - $400+), you'll never get tired of playing around with different tones and effects, I promise. Even a basic modeling pedal like a DigiTech RP50 provides a wealth of sounds and effects for any guitarist on a budget.

True, true.. hence why I thought the hollowbody would be a better idea.

Problem with most low end Les Pauls is that the pickups tend to be way too hot, at least in my opinion. Much more suited for heavier stuff than Santana, not so much creaminess. I'd rather recommend a new guitarist undershoot gain levels instead of overshooting.

That being said a modeling amp, even the Roland Cube, would likely work wonders to fix that if he went single coil instead of 'bucker/hollowbody.

OP would definitely have the best results trying a bunch of these guitars we've all recommended and finding out what he likes best before buying, though. That's half the fun, afterall.
wink.gif
If I had all the money I spent on guitars and effects over the years...
eek.gif

Feb 13, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #25 of 35
Klisk, I agree with what you're saying.
smily_headphones1.gif

My girlfriend has a Roland Micro Cube and I really have to admit that it sounds amazing for such a tiny little thing. You can get some pretty cool sounds from that. My only complaint about it is that the only EQ available is the tone knob, which doesn't give me the ability to tweak the sound enough. For a small portable amp, it sounds so full. My first amp was a 15 watt Crate and it got decently loud for practicing, but the Roland can put out some serious bass and destroys it, probably because its closed back, no? My parents got me a Micro Cube also for Christmas, but I returned it because of the lack of EQ. I picked up a Fender something but it sounded like absolute crap so I returned that, too. I bought a used 2x12 combo from craigslist and I'm pretty happy with that for now.

Feb 13, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #27 of 35
How about an Ibanez guitar. My father just bought a low cost Ibanez guitar, and I was very impressed of how the neck felt, with smooth thin laquer on the back and nice fretwork and fretboard, along with smooth action on the mechanics.

If I were you, I would check out some of the Ibanez guitars.

Ibanez Artist Guitars

Feb 13, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #29 of 35
Just wanted to come back in to state (IMO - but I feel very strongly about this): If you decide on a Strat, spend the few extra bucks on an MIM model and stay away from Squier. The build quality, intonation/tune holding, action, feel... all of it on the MIM is literally far, far beyond what you get in a Squier for very little extra on the top.

I will also second (or third... or eighth at this point) the votes for Ibanez as an excellent guitar for the money. Exceptions apply, but there are some very, very good models available.

I've also heard great things about these, but have never heard nor played them myself. Prices are amazingly low for how they look, but again, you can only glean so much from impressions and photos (AKA, almost nothing).

Feb 13, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #30 of 35
back in the day i bought a Strat with a hamburger for $400ish from Guitar center, i dont know where it was made but is was no American or squier for sure.

had a great sound and a great feel but i ended my playing with my Jackson Stealth cause the neck always felt perfect to me...

go to gc and play a few guitars and see what fits you the best, and don't be afraid to spend lots of time on each of them if you want. some guitars get ugly after being on your lap for awhile (insert Gibson here) so make sure its just comfortable to you and your body (fingers, palm, lap, etc).

if they still sell parker guitars there try one of those also, i always loved the feel of those guitars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back