so I lost my W4R...replacement earphone
May 18, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #16 of 31
woo apparently I didn't know about that place..haha I will definitely try the IE80 and um30, although I do not see the w40 on the website tho, but thank you very much for telling me that place! On the website, IE80 is selling at 450, but I can get it at amazon for 335..whatever, I can at least try them on now!! Thanks!!

May 18, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #20 of 31
  This description is accurate but IMHO (and I owned both back to back).  UMPro 30 is CLEARLY a lesser product than W40.

W40 adds 20% more bass than W4 but you are getting superior treble and a more balanced sound versus UMPro30.   UMPro 30 is a stage monitor with a very bassy dominance.  If it is about musicality, W40 is the way to go.   The added bass makes it the best improvement between W3 and UM3X.

Clearly would be a little subjective, since to each ear their own. But I would have to agree that the W40 is a better IEM that can do much more indeed dollar for dollar. Though the point is rather moot since it's out of budget.

TS at $300 you're really open to a world of choices, and it seems somebody did point out an area which you can consider for an audition should you come to need any. There's even earsonics SM3 or if you're interested in saving some dough the Vsonic GR07 does provide respectable performance at it's price point. You should also consider going for second hand iems, that would jack value even more. Just buy a new set of tips and you're good to go.

May 18, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #21 of 31
Ya, I was also looking at the gr07,anyone know if it is durable? Since the cable isn't detachable, can't really save the earphone itself of the cables are pulled. I'll look into the SM3 for sure as well also keeping an eye on the 2nd hand market here. (any tips on not to get scammed?)

May 18, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #24 of 31
I have a pair of w40 if you are interested, excellent but not my sound signature, I hope the next will be because it's a very expensive hobby and I can't keep buying :S

May 18, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #25 of 31
ya, I am definitely considering the second hand market.  I am just gonna listen to couple earphones at local store and see if there is any new "flavor" I like! or if westone is still my true love!

May 18, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #26 of 31
Ya, I was also looking at the gr07,anyone know if it is durable? Since the cable isn't detachable, can't really save the earphone itself of the cables are pulled. I'll look into the SM3 for sure as well also keeping an eye on the 2nd hand market here. (any tips on not to get scammed?)

I'd say rather durable, though not maybe to the standards of top-end iems. Death by cable is probably your most likely. Though I had a GR04 that had it's housing split due to glue. So probably average quality, but at that price range that should be what you'd get unless you go Westones or Shures or the like that seem like mini versions of their big brothers.

May 18, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #27 of 31
W40 is NOT identical sound sig to W4.  It has been well documented that it has more bass by virtually every Head-Fier that has owned it.  I estimate about 20% which is a huge increase.

UM30Pro is fun.  I'd say it is the punchiest IEM I have ever owned and that is also it's fault.  The bass hits really hard and almost dominates the presentattion....along with a forward midrange that I have no problem with.  Treble.....well...it's just lacking and distant.  EQ certainly helps but I would be literally SHOCKED that anyone would prefer UMPro30 over W40.  Yes, 10 people.....I would be shocked if even one prefered UMPro30.  The improvement is that apparent.

May 19, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #28 of 31
  W40 is NOT identical sound sig to W4.  It has been well documented that it has more bass by virtually every Head-Fier that has owned it.  I estimate about 20% which is a huge increase.

UM30Pro is fun.  I'd say it is the punchiest IEM I have ever owned and that is also it's fault.  The bass hits really hard and almost dominates the presentattion....along with a forward midrange that I have no problem with.  Treble.....well...it's just lacking and distant.  EQ certainly helps but I would be literally SHOCKED that anyone would prefer UMPro30 over W40.  Yes, 10 people.....I would be shocked if even one prefered UMPro30.  The improvement is that apparent.

Come on spy don't make the poor lad feel worse for losing the W4. He can't afford the W40 yet, and since he did consider the UM Pro 30 as an option that could very well be his next best. Why not offer him some alternatives that you would take below 400?

That said, the faults you describe with the UM Pro 30 are not faults really. It's a matter of how you like to hear your music. A basshead would feel offended if you started tell him his IEM has so much bass hence is a bad IEM.

May 19, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #29 of 31
The UM series is tuned for professional stage monitoring, the W series is for consumers. That doesn't make the UMs bad, it makes them functional at perhaps a decreased sense of musicality. But even that's subjective.

Has OP considered going in a cheaper direction for the hell of it? I mean, it's an unfortunate thing to lose earphones you love, but it's an opportunity to give some other 'phones a shot. There is some seriously impressive mid-range stuff at the moment which many people feel is edging out on the old high-end favourites. The Zero Audio Tenore seems to be absolutely blowing people away and it's a fraction of your budget. If you still want hi-fi, I think some of the new BA Audio Technicas come in under your budget and they come with the removable cables we love.

The JVC FX850 is in your budget, has removable cables and is also currently being raved about, but I must say the fit looks a bit scary.

Other budget options that are doing the rounds at the moment are the Ostry KC06(A)s and Havi B3 Pro ver 1s.

If you want to get in on what seems like a great a deal, Lunashops is offering refurb Shure SE535s for $200.

Then we've got Dunu with its hybrid models that people are loving, but I know I personally couldn't spend over $300 on a design without removable cables. Apparently they sound great, though.

No, seriously. There are some fantastic things happening in portable budget audio right now and I think you'd be missing out by just going with what you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back