So I just bought some HD485's
Dec 5, 2007 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Clincher09

500+ Head-Fier
I ordered them today and will hopefully get them this friday or sooner. Do they really require hundreds of hours of burn in? I read somewhere that they only need 30 hours of burn in. Also, will I need an amp for them? And if you could tell me anything else I need to know that would be great.

Dec 5, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #3 of 18
No need for burn-in-- though they may change a little over time, I'm sure they'll sound fine right out of the box. And no amp necessary, but an eventual amp will make them sound better. But by then you'll be thinking of an upgrade.

Enjoy, FV

Dec 5, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #4 of 18
They have strong, upfront bass, which will not go away. So if you like that, you have a nice budget phones. I think budget amp like Firestone Encore will do just fine. I had this combo and was pleased for some short time. But after I tried Grado, they were gone.

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 18
I use these phones as part of my bedside rig which comprises of Cowon U2 and Mini3 amp. The amp does firm up the bass nicely which otherwise is a little flabby but not overly unpleasant. The mids are a little recessed in a Sennheisser way but suit me well for nocturnal listening. I'm sure other phones in the HD series are superior but for the price (in UK at least) I'm more than happy

Dec 6, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clincher09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I just need to know how much time they will need to burn in, and is it bad to have a cd player running for 24 hours straight?

No one know how much time they need, try 20h and see if that is enough, leave it on over nigh maybe two or three nights. You don't need to burn them in you can just use them and they will burn in autimatically. the sound will not change dramatically.

Dec 6, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #8 of 18
They definately chance a lot in the first 20-40 hours or so; midtreble smoothens out and bass gets very noticable (and welcome) more controlled, so that the initial unbalanced impression disappears.

Dec 6, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Do they really require hundreds of hours of burn in? I read somewhere that they only need 30 hours of burn in.

This idea of required burn in seems quite prevalent here on Head-fi. but no headphone ever EVER requires burn-in. Just listen and enjoy. to much time is spent worrying about burn-in. if you enjoy putting your headphones in a sock drawer and playing pink noise for days at a time then do it. but I say if it inconveniences you then just listen. the HD485s are quite good fresh!

Dec 7, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #10 of 18
Ok, I just wanted to get the best possible sound out of them.

Also, I probably know the answer to this, but will they sound better than the over ear bose triports? I have a friend who insists the triports are the best.

Dec 7, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #11 of 18
BOSE cost like EUR 149 up here in Holland and that's almost the same price for new SR225, well in U.S. anyway.
Just one example. The guy I work with went to NY city and bought BOSE for like USD 150. He thought it was an good deal, cos he paid EUR 105, because of the currency differences. But after I asked him to try SR225, which I had for sale, he put his BOSE next day for sale.
I know that SR225 and HD485 isn't the same story, but that's just to give you some idea about BOSE.
Comfort wise BOSE are great, but that's how far it will goes, for me anyway.
HD485 are relative cheap and a lot of people like them for what they do for the money. I don't think you will be disappointed that much, just wait and hear for yourself.
cool.gif

Quote:

Ok, I just wanted to get the best possible sound out of them.

Also, I probably know the answer to this, but will they sound better than the over ear bose triports? I have a friend who insists the triports are the best.

Dec 7, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bose is not great, KSC-75 bets them any day and as I remember, was a while since I was listening to the 485 but they beat the bose to.

I have the ksc 75's, hopefully the senns are even better. I just got them today and I'm letting them burn in now.

Dec 8, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

I have the ksc 75's, hopefully the senns are even better. I just got them today and I'm letting them burn in now.

I prefere ksc-75 to Hd-595 and maybe even HD650
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back